counting inspiration

General discussion & socializing in a Lind-related vein.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

RighardWem

counting inspiration

Post by RighardWem »

hello,
i am currently obsessed with Bob Linds song "Counting". I am curious of any information anyone has on this song. I have heard the other covers of the song but I would love to hear what his inspiration for the lyrics where. Does he remember what inspired those lyrics to come into his head or what he was going through? ANY information would be really super great! i really really love this song.
thank you!
heart
jherek
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Re: counting inspiration

Post by Lind »

Hi Jherek, Sorry for the delay in welcoming you to the board.
Consider yourself belatedly welcomed.

"Counting" is so distant and so experimental (the first song I ever wrote with no hint of rhyme, straight free verse set to music). I like to keep my "inspirations" personal, even when I do remember, which I don't in this case.
But in interviews I have described it as "a two and a half minute song about the first five seconds of love."

Stay close to the board jherek. It's good to have you with us.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

There's a popular Australian performer - Paul McDermott - whose vocal range would allow a damned great version of Counting, if he only had a crack at it...
"Some may call it wander-lust, some may call it crazy.
I don't call it anything - I Just Let It Take Me."
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

I don't know whether it's how Mr Lind intended it to sound, but when I hear the opening chords of Counting I think of a grandfather clock chiming the hour. A rather late hour, there are a lot of chimes.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

bob_32_116 wrote:I don't know whether it's how Mr Lind intended it to sound, but when I hear the opening chords of Counting I think of a grandfather clock chiming the hour. A rather late hour, there are a lot of chimes.
Hmm...I see it as maybe a count-DOWN,...to ecstasy

(I believe that Lind has referred, somewhere, to this song being attuned to sexual foreplay?)
"Some may call it wander-lust, some may call it crazy.
I don't call it anything - I Just Let It Take Me."