A question for you

General discussion & socializing in a Lind-related vein.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

Exabot [Bot]

A question for you

Post by Exabot [Bot] »

Bob,

In the mid-90's a fellow lived in my Wyoming town who umpired for my son's Babe Ruth baseball team. I struck up a conversation and he told me he was Bob Lind and the singer/writer of one of my favorite songs..."Elusive Butterfly". He also told me that he'd written other songs, including one he gave to Neil Diamond. If I recall correctly, he said that the song was "Sweet Caroline". He didn't live here very long, moving to Florida at some point.
I'm wondering, was he an imposter, or was it you?

Thanks in advance.

a Wyoming fan
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Re: A question for you

Post by Lind »

Hey WF, welcome to the board.
I do live in Florida. Other than that, the umpire's story shall we say . . . strikes out. Wyoming is one of the few states I HAVEN'T lived in, or even visited to the best of my recollection. I didn't write "Sweet Caroline" and, although Neil Diamond has been very gracious to me (saying good things about my work in interviews), he's never recorded any of my songs.
Plus, I can't even watch a baseball game all the way through, much less officiate one.
Your friend would appear to be another of several bogus Bob Linds -- three that I know of.
One guy claiming to be me lived in New York in the 80s and walked up and down the streets of Greenwich Village getting free drinks and invitations to parties from unsuspecting Lind fans.
Another guy even had his family fooled. His name was Lindberg or Lindhoven or something and told his wife and kids he had shortened it for "show biz." I even got an angry email from his daughter asking how I had the nerve to claim authorship to her dad's body of work.
Another guy went coast to coast seducing women with his sad-poet persona. From all reports he did better with the chicks than I do.
Anyway, if you want to check for my resemblance to the ump, check out the videos on the "Gigs" page. THAT'S the real me.
Welcome to the board. Hope to see more posts from you.
-- Lind (the McCoy)
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

Ha-Ha!

Hey Bob:- Your story smacks of the scene in Monty Python's "Life Of Brian", where the call of "Release Brian!" went up at the crucifixion, and one quick-witted soul cried out: "I'm Brian - and so is my wife!"

...in your case, probably NOT the sincerest form of flattery...
"Some may call it wander-lust, some may call it crazy.
I don't call it anything - I Just Let It Take Me."
Lost In The Crash

Post by Lost In The Crash »

Bob,

Thanks for the reply.

I always thought it strange that Bob Lind would show up in a small Wyoming town, buy a motel and then sell it and move to Florida. The imposter must be the one you mentioned regarding the name change. He told me that his name was really Lindstrom and that he'd shortened it because it'd be more easily remembered by fans and that his dad was mad at him for not using the original family name. He also told me he received $.02 each time "Elusive Butterfly" was played on the radio. There were other stories, as well, and he told them so matter-of-factly and with such detail that I had no reason to doubt him.

If this guy tried to use his/your fame to pick up chicks, I doubt he had much luck because there isn't a plethora of chicks to be had in town.

Well, no longer can I say that I once knew Bob Lind, but I can say that I've conversed with him on his message board.

Thanks again,

Wyoming fan
rob68

Post by rob68 »

Lind wrote: Plus, I can't even watch a baseball game all the way through, much less officiate one.
I'm with you there. Hockey and football yes, baseball and basketball no.
....I went to the river and I stood on the shore. I stood in the twilight of the life I had before....
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

Aussie Rules...
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

Danny Harris wrote:Aussie Rules...
Exactly.

Besides which, as far as I know Sweet Caroline is credited to Diamond himself, and I can't imagine Neil Diamond being the sort of person who would fail to give due credit.

It's not a bad song, but it doesn't even sound like a Bob Lind song, in my opinion.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

Yeah...Solitary Man, maybe, is Lindish, tho'...