Greetings From Scotland

General discussion & socializing in a Lind-related vein.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

grant
Admonkeystrator

Re: Greetings From Scotland

Post by grant »

I've often wondered how much of an overlap there really is between people-who-like-Lind and people-who-like-Cocker.

I mean, I like 'em both, but I'm kind of eclectic.

I'm glad I'm not alone, though. Where in Scotland are you from? My grandfather was born in Edinburgh, and I've still got second or third cousins wandering around.
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

I've never heard this "Bob Lind" song by Pulp, Does it owew anything to Bob's style, or is it just dropping his name?

As a matter of fact I only know one Pulp song, which is of course "Disco 2000". Not a bad song, though I wouldn't walk barefoot across Antarctica to acquire a copy.
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

Hi Kes,
Welcome to the board. Good to have you with us.
Yes, Jarvis is a fantastic performer and one of the most gracious men I know. When I played London back in 2007, he was incredibly supportive. Because of his constant citing of me as an influence on his music, he has brought me a whole new generation of fans -- fans way too young to know me from the sixties. He came to my show -- along with his friend and fellow-megastar Richard Hawley and it was a joy meeting him.
(In case you're interested, there's more about this in the section called "KEEPING TRACK OF TIME" (a post by my manager, Jill, about the London tour).
Anyway, I'm glad you like the ACE re-issue, but, as I tell all the newbees here on the board, I hope you're also aware of my newer (21st Century) songs. Many of them are on my live CD sold exclusively here on this site and at my gigs.
Stay close to the forum, Kes.
All the best,
Lind
grant
Admonkeystrator

Post by grant »

bob_32: I seem to remember reading some interview where Mr. Cocker said that the song got the name because the band knew it as "that song that sounds like Bob Lind." It does have a kind of jangly afternoonish vibe that's not too far off "Truly Julie's Blues," but is a bit more melancholy and generally Pulp-y.

You can hear it on last.fm over here.

Kes: Aztec Camera? Mixtapes! College! Might as well... JUMP! Hadn't thought about them in ages.
rob68

Post by rob68 »

Kes wrote: I think Oh Babe take me home is fast becoming my favourite from the album!
That is one of my absolute faves from Bob's early period. LOVE LOVE LOVE those lyrics.
....I went to the river and I stood on the shore. I stood in the twilight of the life I had before....
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

rob68 wrote:
Kes wrote: I think Oh Babe take me home is fast becoming my favourite from the album!
That is one of my absolute faves from Bob's early period. LOVE LOVE LOVE those lyrics.
It's funny, but "Oh Babe take Me Home" is one of the songs off that album that had less impact on me. I like it, and I probably like it more now than I did originally, but coming as it does between two absolute corkers of songs, "We've Never Spoken" and "Eleanor", for me it pales by comparison.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

Yeah, but there's a sorta sad wistfulness about it which, if the mood suits, has you reaching for the bottle...
"Some may call it wander-lust, some may call it crazy.
I don't call it anything - I Just Let It Take Me."