ANNOUNCING THE RELEASE OF BOB's FIRST NOVEL

Talk here about Bob's novel and other prose.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

Lind
Declaring Lindependence

ANNOUNCING THE RELEASE OF BOB's FIRST NOVEL

Post by Lind »

It’s been a loooonnng time coming. But at last I’m able to tell you that my first novel, EAST OF THE HOLYLAND, is finally out and available in hardback from Lulu.com.

You can read the preview blurb, the foreword and the prologue here: http://www.lulu.com/content/4570160

For reasons I can’t quite fathom, they’ve issued the Large Print version first. They tell me the Regular Print edition will be out sometime in January. It will be the exact same text but the smaller font will make it much, much skinnier.

I’ll post an announcement when the new version is released. But I don’t want to delay a minute in letting you know the book is finally in print – BIG print.

You should know it’s a little on the expensive side compared to what you might pay for a hardback at Borders or Barnes and Noble. But alas, it's not me who's sucking up the big profits. It’s just the nature of the self-publishing beast that small-scale printing costs force prices up. It’s how they stay in business.

If you wait and buy the Regular Print version, you’ll save a few bucks -- not to mention wear and tear on your arms lugging those 499 pages around, but if you want it right away and don’t mind going the extra mile, grab it up now. It will make a great stocking stuffer for that discerning reader on your Christmas list.

It’s also available in download by the way. But, call me old-fashioned, I don’t see who would want to read a novel on a computer screen. However, wiser heads than mine have assured me it’s good to give people that option.

The book spans one week in the life of a hard-drinking, self-centered, not-very-lovable Denver folksinger – a life-transforming week in which he discovers himself as an artist and makes what may be the most significant decision of his life.

I’m starting this section of the message board to allow members and guests to talk about the novel. I welcome all comments – good and bad.
As always on this message board, I’m not going to censor what’s said here. But I urge you all to remember there may be people visiting this forum who haven’t yet read the book. So please do your best not to give anything away.

Later, I’m hoping there will be some reviews posted on the brand-spanking-new Novel Reviews page of this site.
Meanwhile, in the immortal words of Mike Myers, “Tawk amongst yuhselves.”
Last edited by Lind on Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel H

Post by Daniel H »

BRAVO!
You'll catch a fleeting glimpse of someone's fading shadow...
Maddo

Post by Maddo »

Oh how we have waited.
At long last the first pusblised novel
We are so looking forward to savouring more of the creative talents of Lind. I'm ordering today. :D
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

It's probably stating the obvious, but the blurb makes the story sound just a tad autobiographical :)

The title intrigues me - in particular "Holyland" as one word. Does that mean it refers to a particular place known as the Holyland? Such as an entertainment venue for example?

Since I am not yet afflicted by macular degeneration, I think I'll wait for the normal text print version to arrive.
Maddo

Post by Maddo »

Considering the failing eyesight of many of we older fans, it is very considerate of Bob to arrange for the BIG print verson first. :wink: You young blokes wait for the paperback release.
Thanks Bob.
Daniel H

Post by Daniel H »

I'm going to wait for the regular print version. Large print annoys me, and I don't want anything to detract from my enjoyment of the novel--I've waited a long time for this. A few extra weeks won't hurt me.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

I'm too impatient to wait for the smaller print version...

...big fan, big print...

...big joy!
"Some may call it wander-lust, some may call it crazy.
I don't call it anything - I Just Let It Take Me."
Danny Harris

Re: ANNOUNCING THE RELEASE OF BOB's FIRST NOVEL

Post by Danny Harris »

Now...wouldn't this be just perfect as a "talking book"..?

..for me, anyway...I could absorb the tale on the road...

...don't want much, do I..?
Susanne Gilmore

Post by Susanne Gilmore »

Danny, you definitely have a grand idea there. A talking book read by the author .... and occasionally the protagonist sings one of his folk songs when the plot reaches an appropriate point!
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

Whew! Shipping costs, from USA to Oz...!!!

Oh, well...hey, Suzie...!

Looks like I might have to join you in your 'first born for Lind' sacrificial ritual...!

LOL
Terry Smith

Post by Terry Smith »

I finished reading Bob’s book a week or so ago and thought I’d share just a couple of thoughts.

A couple of caveats:

• I don’t review books for a living, so my comments are personal, not professional. Take ’em for what they’re worth.
• I’m a long-time fan of Bob’s and, therefore, lost all objectivity some time ago.

I have to admit I found it impossible to read without hearing Bob’s voice throughout. In the introduction he mentions that it is the most biographical novel he’s written, so I guess that’s understandable. However, a part of me wishes I could have been handed the book without any way of identifying the author. I might be able to be more objective (for my sake, not this review’s).

I found it to be a “sneaky-good” read. The plot and characters are not terribly complex, but after several pages you realize that the narrative is making you work harder (i.e., read and think) than the story line might suggest… and it carries throughout the entire book. Bob’s writing is every bit as strong in prose and dialog form as it is in lyric form.

The characters are interesting and a few of them are really quite enjoyable to meet and consider (e.g., Wesley and Bagel). I particularly liked the consistency, honesty and laying bare of protagonist Jory Durham’s character even if, in the process, he comes across as an emotional - and sometimes physical - thug. (He’s really quite insufferable, even though occasionally sprinkled with a bit of rogue, and sure isn’t someone for whom I found myself rooting.) But he’s consistent to the end and there is no 11th hour epiphany, which was refreshing.

I’m sure that it’s a pretty accurate recollection of what the Denver folk scene was like at the time, which was fun for me, personally, to read about. Being from New England, I always assumed no folk music existed outside of Cambridge and the Village. I never thought or knew anything about other folk pockets.

Would I recommend it? Of course. It’s thoughtful. It’s raw. It’s interesting. It’s honest. It’s unapologetic. It’s well written. It’s Lind.

Enjoy.
Maddo

Post by Maddo »

Yea ! After waiting few weeks for this treasure to travel 3/4 way around the world...my copy of EAST OF THE HOLYLAND has arrived here in OZ-land.
Now to enjoy thousands more words from the man who weaves word-magic so magnificently !
Daniel H

Post by Daniel H »

Bob, any new info about when the regular print edition will be available? I continue to wait anxiously...
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

Terry Smith wrote:... he comes across as an emotional - and sometimes physical - thug. (He’s really quite insufferable, even though occasionally sprinkled with a bit of rogue, and sure isn’t someone for whom I found myself rooting.)
I sincerely hope not! You realise what that's slang for in Oz?

Diiiiis - gusting. :))

I expect there will be a bit of a game amongst those who have read the book and who know a bit about the music scene of the time to pick the real-life character to which each character in the novel alludes - would that be right?
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

Hey Bob 32 (etc)...

It means "cheering"...