LIND COVERS

Share favorite lyrics, swap guitar tabs and talk about the songs.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

Liz

LIND COVERS

Post by Liz »

"I can't walk roads of anger - I ain't got the time"
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

Thanks Liz. Yes. I was aware of these cuts, but some others here may not be. I appreciate your posting the links.
Elsewhere on the board, and in interviews, I talk about how much I like both of these cuts. The Otway thing is so wild and so full of energy -- so completely different from anything I had in mind when I wrote the song. I always like it when artists show me a dimension of my songs I hadn't known was there.
And I've always loved the Blues Project's version of "Cheryl."
Good to have fans like you who pay attention to these covers. Always a pleasure to hear from you.
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

I have already seen the Otway clip, but I was hoping the other link would let me see and hear The Blues Project's version. It doesn't. I had a quick search on Google and YouTube to see if a clip exists but had no luck. Did anyone else locate one?

I did locate a clip of the Blues Project performing a song called Steve's Song, which does not sound a million miles away from something Bob Lind might have written.
Last edited by bob_32_116 on Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeffbenton

Post by jeffbenton »

Perhaps a challenger for the title "Best Elusive Butterfly Cover"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vYkgO8KyvM

West Florida Summer's Child
Liz

LIND COVERS

Post by Liz »

Done any way - Elusive Butterfly is beautiful.

Having said that I am not sure what to think of the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlbaDXz5RZs
"I can't walk roads of anger - I ain't got the time"
grant
Admonkeystrator

Post by grant »

Oh, man. Ohhh, man.

Somebody stop me from adding that to the site.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

Oh, why not, Grant...

...that butterfly on a string ("Elusive?") is no more disturbing than Lind's drugged ocelot...

..do it, do it...!':P'
Daniel H

Post by Daniel H »

I love hearing other artists cover Bob's songs. It's like looking at favorite landscapes from new angles. And everytime I hear a different artist sing Elusive Butterfly it brings back the original magic I felt--I get recaptured by its "nets of wonder" (lol).
You'll catch a fleeting glimpse of someone's fading shadow...
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

Oh, I don't know about that...Mrs. Miller might have been a little confronting, ...or Sky Saxon,... or Jimmy Shand...

Hmmm... I wonder if Marcel Marceau ever mimed "Elusive Butterfly"...?
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

Danny Harris wrote:Oh, I don't know about that...Mrs. Miller might have been a little confronting, ...or Sky Saxon,... or Jimmy Shand...
or Tiny Tim?

Maybe that's what he was doing tiptoeing through the tulips - trying to catch those elusive butterflies.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

Hey, talking Lind covers...

How about "Ladies Love Lind"...?

Here's some of my favourite female artists, and songs which I reckon they would interpret well and faithfully...

"A Nameless Request" - Emmylou Harris,
"Whose Is The Funeral?" - Judy Collins,
"Theme From The Music-Box" - Joni Mitchell,
"I Can't Walk Roads Of Anger" - The Dixie Chicks,
- and, with tongue firmly planted in cheek...
"Go Ask Your Man" - k.d. lang

Beat that, Lindsters...
royb404

Post by royb404 »

Lind wrote:Thanks Liz. Yes. I was aware of these cuts, but some others here may not be. I appreciate your posting the links.
Elsewhere on the board, and in interviews, I talk about how much I like both of these cuts. The Otway thing is so wild and so full of energy -- so completely different from anything I had in mind when I wrote the song. I always like it when artists show me a dimension of my songs I hadn't known was there.
And I've always loved the Blues Project's version of "Cheryl."
Good to have fans like you who pay attention to these covers. Always a pleasure to hear from you.
I bought the "Blues Project" album many, many years ago. To me it is a fussion of folk and Jazz with a little Blues there-at least on Cheryl. I still have the "record" somewhere. I bought the "Blues" CD a few months ago and the quality is awasome.
buffalo

Re: LIND COVERS

Post by buffalo »

I'm still trying to find out if Gene McClellan (canadian singer - song writer, 1970s - wrote "snowbird") ever recorded Elusive Butterfly. He wasn't on the short list. I seem to remember him performing it on CBC television around 1970. Maybe he never recorded it. Does anyone know or is there a way I can get the long list of covers? then I'd know for sure!
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

Speaking of Cheryl's Going Home, I happened to be perusing a Wikipedia article about Sonny Bono and was surprised to read that after the breakup with Cher he put out a little-known solo album. It was a very strange affair by the sound of it, as though he were trying to distance himself from his previous work - but it also contains a version of Cheryl's Going Home. Have you heard that version, Bob?
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

Hey Bob Numbers, always good hearing from you.
That info's not quite right. Sonny's solo album INNVER VIEWS was released in 1967. But "Cheryl's Goin Home" isn't on it.
The album you're thinking of is THE TWO OF US which is by Sonny AND Cher. I'm in good company on that album. It also contains, "Let it Be Me," "Unchained Melody" and Tim Hardin's classic "Misty Roses."

And Buffalo, sorry to be so late in responding to your post. I just now noticed it. I'm not aware of an "Elusive Butterfly" cover by Gene McClellan, but it could be out there. If you find out, let me know.