LIND COVERS

Share favorite lyrics, swap guitar tabs and talk about the songs.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

rob68

Re: LIND COVERS

Post by rob68 »

Lind wrote:Hey Bob Numbers, always good hearing from you.
That info's not quite right. Sonny's solo album INNVER VIEWS was released in 1967. But "Cheryl's Goin Home" isn't on it.
The album you're thinking of is THE TWO OF US which is by Sonny AND Cher. I'm in good company on that album. It also contains, "Let it Be Me," "Unchained Melody" and Tim Hardin's classic "Misty Roses."
Yes, THE TWO OF US was a double LP which came out in the mid 70s that featured many of Sonny & Cher's 60s recordings. It's never been on CD. Sonny & Cher's version of "Cheryl's Goin' Home" originally appeared on their IN CASE YOU'RE IN LOVE LP in 1967, which is available on CD, although I think it's out of print now and goes for big bucks (believe it or not). Be warned however, the vocals on "Cheryl's Goin' Home" are all done by Sonny......no Cher to be found on this track, unfortunately.
....I went to the river and I stood on the shore. I stood in the twilight of the life I had before....
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

rob68 wrote:
Lind wrote:Hey Bob Numbers, always good hearing from you.
That info's not quite right. Sonny's solo album INNVER VIEWS was released in 1967. But "Cheryl's Goin Home" isn't on it.
The album you're thinking of is THE TWO OF US which is by Sonny AND Cher. I'm in good company on that album. It also contains, "Let it Be Me," "Unchained Melody" and Tim Hardin's classic "Misty Roses."
Yes, THE TWO OF US was a double LP which came out in the mid 70s that featured many of Sonny & Cher's 60s recordings. It's never been on CD. Sonny & Cher's version of "Cheryl's Goin' Home" originally appeared on their IN CASE YOU'RE IN LOVE LP in 1967, which is available on CD, although I think it's out of print now and goes for big bucks (believe it or not). Be warned however, the vocals on "Cheryl's Goin' Home" are all done by Sonny......no Cher to be found on this track, unfortunately.
Thanks Bob. I got my information from here:
http://www.starpulse.com/Music/Bono,_So ... 1/R494037/
It appears that the release in question is a compilation consisting of the original Inner Views release plus various other recordings by Sonny, including Cheryl's Goin' Home, which as you said was not on the original Inner Views.

I hear where you're coming from rob - It's true that Sonny did not have a great voice, but some artists manage to carry it off in spite of that, witness Bob Dylan, Tom Waits, Rod Stewart, Marianne Faithfull and many others. I have only heard one of Sonny's solo efforts - that was the song Laugh At Me, and while his vocal efforts are not great, they are not bad enough to spoil what is a very good song.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Incidentally, while Googling Sonny Bono I came across this bizarre news item about his death:
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 77,00.html
This item is 8 months old, but it's the first I have heard of this. Anyone heard more about this? Forgive me for drifting somewhat off-topic.
bob_32_116

Re:

Post by bob_32_116 »

jeffbenton wrote:Perhaps a challenger for the title "Best Elusive Butterfly Cover"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vYkgO8KyvM

West Florida Summer's Child
Whoever posted those lyrics can't spell "abandoned". :-)

It is however a great version, probably as good as you could get without being practically a copy of the original. Actually the treatment is rather reminiscent of "Sweet Harriet".

Dolly Parton seems to have a thing about Butterflies doesn't she.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: I just spent a little time browsing YouTube for other covers of the song, and listened to the following artists:

- Dolly Parton
- Florence Henderson
- Aretha franklin
- The Four Tops
- Cher
- The man himself, performing against a backdrop of what looks like the Florida Everglades.

In my opinion:

- Dolly Parton's is by far the best cover;

- Cher's is not bad, though I thought the tempo a little too fast, it sounds as though she was hurrying to finish in a limited number of minutes and seconds;

- Florence Henderson: a little syrupy, but nicely done with plenty of emotion. I was actually worried I was going to sit through Kermit doing the song, I doubt he could have done as well!

- Aretha Franklin: it's almost impossible to ruin this song, but I'm afraid I think this comes close. Sorry Aretha, I really don't think this treatment serves the song well at all;

- Four Tops: I was surprised how much I liked this version. It's faithful to the song, and faithful also to the Four Tops' distinctive style;

- The Man Himself: still the best interpreter of the song, with or without Jack Nitzsche (sorry if I misspelled the name). Most artists don't get all the chords right, those major 7th chords that give the song that magical quality often come out simply as straight major chords.
rob68

Re: Re:

Post by rob68 »

bob_32_116 wrote:
- Cher's is not bad, though I thought the tempo a little too fast, it sounds as though she was hurrying to finish in a limited number of minutes and seconds;
Just a little factoid that no-one wll even care about (I'm good at those)......all of Cher's records in the 60s were sped up. You have to slow them down to hear them at the actual speed they were recorded at. Phil Spector convinced Sonny that her voice was too deep and that she sounded like a guy, so Sonny sped up all the mastertapes of her 60s music.
....I went to the river and I stood on the shore. I stood in the twilight of the life I had before....
jeffbenton

Post by jeffbenton »

How about a little Johnny Mathis?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_6nYMMgTTI

PS:

If you haven't heard Bob's enchanting A New Year's Carol
check out the Playlist page on this website.

We all need this at least once a year!

"...maybe Bethlehem is you and me..."
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

Again, Rob, you have the info...

One quick digression, for what it's worth I really liked "Baby Don't Go" by S&C...

My fave "Butterfly" - Petula Clark; my least fave Lind cover - Keith Relf's ploddiing "Mr. Zero".
"Some may call it wander-lust, some may call it crazy.
I don't call it anything - I Just Let It Take Me."
jeffbenton

LIND COVERS

Post by jeffbenton »

Over the top with The Four Tops, one of the greatest groups!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYZt3Yq6d_E

Really enjoyed this one!

"...maybe Bethlehem is you and me..."
Maddo

Post by Maddo »

Been away for a while and just found the you tube covers on Playlist page. Many good covers there but I particularly liked Susan Jacks rendering of "EB" and Nancy Sinatra's "Longtime Woman"
Susanne Gilmore

Post by Susanne Gilmore »

I just became aware of another Elusive Butterfly cover! I am looking at a picture of an album cover for Lennon Sisters Today!! (For those not growing up in the USA in the 50's and early 60's, the Lennon Sisters were on the Lawrence Welk show and definitely not related to John Lennon!)
The cover lists the contents, including: California Dreamin', Different Drum, Green Tambourine, (He's) Just my Style, What the World Needs Now is Love and Elusive Butterfly among others. Obviously, this was probably recorded around 1968 or so. Hmmm.... wonder what this version sounds like.
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

Susanne Gilmore wrote:I just became aware of another Elusive Butterfly cover! I am looking at a picture of an album cover for Lennon Sisters Today!! (For those not growing up in the USA in the 50's and early 60's, the Lennon Sisters were on the Lawrence Welk show and definitely not related to John Lennon!)
The cover lists the contents, including: California Dreamin', Different Drum, Green Tambourine, (He's) Just my Style, What the World Needs Now is Love and Elusive Butterfly among others. Obviously, this was probably recorded around 1968 or so. Hmmm.... wonder what this version sounds like.
Mention of California Dreamin' leads to thoughts of The Mamas and the Papas, which in turn evokes thoughts of The 5th Dimension, who were thought of as a black version of the Mamas and Papas until they had their big breakthrough hit with Jimmy Webb's "Up, Up and Away".

I currently have a 5th Dimension "Best of" album on loan from the library, and I am rediscovering how fresh and original those songs sounded. I imagine they could do a passable version of Butterfly.
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

Thanks Susanne. Every time I turn around I'm finding out about a new cover. I certainly remember the love-elly-ya-Lennon-a-Sisters but I didn't know they cut "EB." Never heard it.
See you in late May, I'm hoping. As you may know, Danny O'keefe and I will be doing a series of shows together out there. McCabes, the Coffee Gallery and at least one more Southern Cal venue.
Your attendance is mandatory. And so is that of your hippie boyfriend.