Autumn in New York & Reviews!

Where's Bob now? Lind live shows, CD releases and media appearances.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

Lou C.

Autumn in New York & Reviews!

Post by Lou C. »

Hey, Bob
I see on the Gigs list that you're doing a show in NYC next month. Just the one show in the area? How'd it come about? What's the poop? Inquiring minds want to know ... especially those with strong and and current Big Apple ties.
Lou
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

Hey Lou and others,
Indeed. Thanks to the incomparable Jimmy Webb (as generous and selfless as he is talented -- and that's saying something!) and his equally generous manager Robin, I'm headed to New York on Thursday, October 16, to play one of the most prestigious clubs in the country: THE CUTTING ROOM. (Please see the Gigs Page for more details.)
Jimmy regularly showcases there and he and Robin paved the way to get us in.
Now the challenge is to fill the place. All you New Yorkers -- in fact all you east-coasters -- put the date on your calendars. Hard as it is to believe, I have NEVER played New York. In the sixties, I was out there doing those lip-sync shows like Hullabaloo etc., but I've never done a club or concert in the Apple.
I can't wait to get at you loyal New Yorkers who have supported my music for so long and from such a distance.
royb404

Post by royb404 »

I will try to get here from TEXAS. And if I can do it many of you, FANS, should also.
Lou C.

Two from Texas - it could happen

Post by Lou C. »

Hey, Roy, if you make it to the NY gig, introduce yourself. I live in Fort Worth. Go figure, eh?
rob68

Post by rob68 »

Major kudos to Robin and the great Jimmy Webb for making this gig happen. Knock em dead in the Big Apple, Bob!
....I went to the river and I stood on the shore. I stood in the twilight of the life I had before....
Jill

First Review

Post by Jill »

Reviews are starting to come in on Bob's New York show.
This one is from New York-based radio personality Mike McCann whose show is syndicated on Premier Radio Networks and heard all over the world.

BOB LIND: New York at Last!

Bob Lind's first-ever New York concert was a success. Not only was an enthusiastic crowd on hand Thursday night at the Cutting Room, but the singer-songwriter was in fine voice and moved by the warm reception from a city that some performers have found hard to win over. Sticking mostly to his own material, such as his '60s smash "Elusive Butterfly," Lind made one notable exception -- re-imagining the party anthem "Bottle of Wine" as a hauntingly lonely lament whose subject was anything but the happy-go-lucky character portrayed in The Fireballs' hit version.

After the show, he met with a group of longtime fans, including several who'd brought original L-P covers for him to sign. --Mike McCann

Bob Lind shares his feelings about New York after performing in Manhattan for the first time. OC...it was wonderful.

"I love these people. I absolutely love these people. I don't what happened to that cynical, you-show-me kind of attitude that you hear so much about with New Yorkers. Didn't get any of it -- very warm. Very warm. Getting here? Not fun. Getting here? Long Island Railroad, trying to thumb down a taxi? Eh, but man, once you're here, it's a cocoon. It was wonderful."

Bob Lind contrasts his solo acoustic take on "Elusive Butterfly" with the single version that fans hear on radio. OC...worked before.

"I should say this first, to preface what I am going to say by saying, 'I love what Jack did with the song. And Jack Nitzche, who produced and arranged -- I loved what he did. But I'm different now, so the song's going to be different. And I think that's what I like about a song, any song -- jazz is like that. And I think 'Elusive Butterfly' is that way, at least I hope it is. And I can play it in the moment. And I'm not tied it was to the way it was before and the way it worked before."
royb404

Re: First Review

Post by royb404 »

Jill wrote:Reviews are starting to come in on Bob's New York show.
This one is from New York-based radio personality Mike McCann whose show is syndicated on Premier Radio Networks and heard all over the world.

BOB LIND: New York at Last!

Bob Lind's first-ever New York concert was a success. Not only was an enthusiastic crowd on hand Thursday night at the Cutting Room, but the singer-songwriter was in fine voice and moved by the warm reception from a city that some performers have found hard to win over. Sticking mostly to his own material, such as his '60s smash "Elusive Butterfly," Lind made one notable exception -- re-imagining the party anthem "Bottle of Wine" as a hauntingly lonely lament whose subject was anything but the happy-go-lucky character portrayed in The Fireballs' hit version.

After the show, he met with a group of longtime fans, including several who'd brought original L-P covers for him to sign. --Mike McCann

Bob Lind shares his feelings about New York after performing in Manhattan for the first time. OC...it was wonderful.

"I love these people. I absolutely love these people. I don't what happened to that cynical, you-show-me kind of attitude that you hear so much about with New Yorkers. Didn't get any of it -- very warm. Very warm. Getting here? Not fun. Getting here? Long Island Railroad, trying to thumb down a taxi? Eh, but man, once you're here, it's a cocoon. It was wonderful."

Bob Lind contrasts his solo acoustic take on "Elusive Butterfly" with the single version that fans hear on radio. OC...worked before.

"I should say this first, to preface what I am going to say by saying, 'I love what Jack did with the song. And Jack Nitzche, who produced and arranged -- I loved what he did. But I'm different now, so the song's going to be different. And I think that's what I like about a song, any song -- jazz is like that. And I think 'Elusive Butterfly' is that way, at least I hope it is. And I can play it in the moment. And I'm not tied it was to the way it was before and the way it worked before."
He is a PRO and a good guy and NYC was lucky I mean VERY Lucky.
jamie

The Cutting Room

Post by jamie »

I only wish I could have been there! I've had the pleasure of seeing him before in a studio environment-but with an audience-and believe me-he kicks ass! If you ever get a chance to see him-do so!

Jamie Hoover
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

...so...any more reviews?
royb404

Re: Two from Texas - it could happen

Post by royb404 »

Lou C. wrote:Hey, Roy, if you make it to the NY gig, introduce yourself. I live in Fort Worth. Go figure, eh?
Lou go to Denton to the Silver Leaf on Dec 13 and see Jimmy. He is one of my 3 faves and a friend of Bob's. The 1st words written in his-Jimmy's- book about songwriting-"Tunesmith"- are words Bob Lind wrote.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

I must track down the "Tunesmith" book...not only for Lind's words of support alone - I love Johnny Rivers' version of this Jimmy Webb song...
"Some may call it wander-lust, some may call it crazy.
I don't call it anything - I Just Let It Take Me."