Long-time Fan

General discussion & socializing in a Lind-related vein.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

mginkc

Long-time Fan

Post by mginkc »

Bob,

When they released your CD a few years back, I was elated. I could finally save wear and tear on my old records.

I have been a fan of yours since EB. I was always amazed at the lyrics and the beautiful music you wrote with them (except for, perhaps, "The World is Just a B-Movie" ;-{).

As a matter of fact, I just now went through a stack of old 45s to locate "In a Dusty Old Room" performed by Noel Harrison. My brother wanted to know if I had a digital copy (well, I do now). Did you ever record this song?

Don't get the big head, but you truly are one of the great writers of my generation, along with folks like Paul Simon and Jimmy Webb. Thanks for all the great tunes.

Mark Graham in KC
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

WHAT!!?? You don't think The World Is Just a B Movie is a deathless classic? Why this is an outrage!

Welcome to the board, Mark. Great to have you with us. Thanks for the kind words.
No I never recorded that song, originally titled, "A Child Is Dead." Metric Music was skittish about the name and retitled it when I wasn't looking.
I thought Noel sang it with a lot of feeling.
I'm delighted that you like the old songs. But I'll tell you what I tell all the newbees: I hope you've heard the new songs too -- the ones on the demo page -- and seen the videos in the Press Kit.
And that you're aware of my 2006 live CD.

I'm honored to be thought of in the same mental breath with Paul and Jimmy. I consider them brilliant, especially Jimmy (See the post in this section).
Stay close to the board. Good to have you with us.
Joey McGowan

Post by Joey McGowan »

This Song "In a Dusty Old Room" ( Far Better Title) is Perhaps my
All Time Favorite of Bob's Songs. I Too have the Noel Harrison Single,
although in Truth had Forgotten it wasn't a Non Lp Lind 45 I Had.
I had Afterwards Found out that Noel had not Recorded the Complete
Written Lyrics. It's Quite a Prize to Have Them Printed Out ( From Bob's
Book)
I would think that Noel Harrison had Learned the Tune from a Tape
or Acetate Supplied by Metric Music. Would also Believe that Recordings
of these Early Publishing Demos must Still Exist.

Bob is one of the Very Few Artists that Writes as Brillant a Song now as
he Did Before the Fame. I know he Feels far Closed to the Newer Stuff,
but I can not in Fact Tell if a Song was Written in 1966 or 1996.
I truly mean that as a Compliment.

In my Younger Days, I use to go to a "Head" Shop in Union City,
New Jersey Called "East West" to Buy the Newest "Bootleg" albums
that came Out on Bob Dylan. I still remember Wishing that Instead
of the Zepplin or Stones Lp's also there, I could Find some unreleased
Demos or Such of Artists Like Donovan or Bob Lind.

Donovan, as well as Folks like Steve Forbert, Janis Ian, The Dead,
Even the Bee Gees have Sold Early Live or Demo Recordings Thru
their Websites.
I, as well as Many Others, Would love to be Able to Purchase Copies
of those Amazing unheard Songs( Like "Dusty Room") thru Bob's Site.

Joey, In Atlantic City,
Charlize

Query . . .

Post by Charlize »

Hey Bob! I am a fan from . . . well . . . let's just say a LONG way back! LOL! I am trying to determine which of your song(s) was/were recorded by Eric Clapton.

When time permits, let me know. Not only have I always been one of your biggest fans, but I love Clapton's work as well.

Thanks so much!

Charlize :wink: :wink:
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

Welcome Charlize. Thank you for the kind words. Every time a new member (or even a guest) takes the time to post here, I seize the opportunity to steer him or her toward my newer work.
You ask about the Clapton cover. The song is "Mr. Zero." It's an old, old, old song, that I recently re-recorded myself on my 2006 Live disc.
On the CD, I tell the story. I talk about how I was amazed that it was covered at all because it's such a subjective song.
Yardbirds lead singer Keith Relf recorded it and, playing guitar on the cut was a young gun named Eric Clapton. Clapton has re-released it on his compilation CD entitled GREAT.

All the best to you Charlize. Stay close to the board.