Bob on Canadian Radio

Where's Bob now? Lind live shows, CD releases and media appearances.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

Jill

Bob on Canadian Radio

Post by Jill »

This Sunday, Bob will be interviewed on a unique radio show out of Ottawa, Canada, called "Middle-Aged Bald Guys Talking Rock and Roll." Not surprisingly, Bob was hesitant to do the show before he heard it. There's always a danger of nostalgia-wallowing when "oldies" shows want to interview him, and talking exclusively about the past bores him to distraction. The show title gave him the willies.
But after listening to the program, he changed his mind. The moniker notwithstanding, it's about music and recording artists -- past and present. The hosts, Jim Hurcomb and Al Fleming, are interested not only in what 50s-60s-70s singers/writers have done, but in what they're doing now.
They're incredibly savvy guys with a clear passion for music. They treat artists as artists, not as relics.
The show starts at 7 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time, this Sunday August 10th. You can listen online by going to www.cfra.com
Click the yellow icon that says LISTEN LIVE.
Then click on the player you want to use (RealPlayer, Windows Media, whatever).
The show is well worth hearing, even without Bob.
With him, it will be gangbusters.
Sutherland

Post by Sutherland »

Give me a break! "nostalgia-wallowing", "bores him to distraction", "gave him the willies". What the....? What else would people want to talk to him about other than Elusive Butterfly? Maybe his busy touring schedule? The songs he recorded in his living room? Even his guitar not selling on eBay. Sad. Sorry Jill.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Then why would you even bother to register on this board? Maybe you shouldn't take the time out of your day to write this crap. If you're not a fan, and clearly you're not, then go away. His fans appreciate the old, the new and the yet to come from Bob.

Libby
John Duncan

Post by John Duncan »

Well said Libby. I was wondering what the reply was going to be and you have summed up the feelings of many of Bob's true fans on this board I am sure.
rob68

Post by rob68 »

Oh my, a tried and true troll. The glass is half empty, I know. You should be forever banished to the land of the banned! :twisted: :D

Personally, I applaud Bob for not engaging in nostalgia tours/interviews. There's no time like the present. And to me those 'living room demos' are better than what most artists come up with in an expensive recording studio. As for the guitar, if it didn't get any bids it's likely due more to the fact that ebay seems to really be dying out lately. I'm noticing a lot less items listed in general.....and what seems like a lot more sellers with not-so-great feedback ratings.
....I went to the river and I stood on the shore. I stood in the twilight of the life I had before....
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

It's ok, Lindsters...

I located the transgressor's vehicle in the car-park and let his bloody tyres down...

.nah nah nah nah nah to you, Unbeliever...!
grant
Admonkeystrator

Post by grant »

So, about these Middle-Aged Bald Guys.

I just tested the site, and found the best results (for my system) from the second link down... the "alternate" stream for non-XP users. (Because I'm not using XP.)

I wish they had an archive of old shows stuck away somewhere on the site, but couldn't find one.
jeffbenton

Post by jeffbenton »

Jill,

I hope everyone listens to Bob's interview tonight. Thanks for letting us know about it.

Sutherland,

One day, when your illusions of your saintliness are dead and gone, please check back in here to share what you've learned about making friends and influencing people.

My own hard-learned lesson: No matter how 'superior' sarcasm and hostility may have once made me feel, I lost a lot more than I gained.

Bob,

Keep 'Finger-Pick-Rock' alive at the Luna Star this Friday!

West Florida Summer's Child
jeffbenton

Post by jeffbenton »

Way to go, Bob! Thanks for giving so much of yourself on the radio broadcast tonight! Those comments about Burl Ives sure brought back pleasant memories.

However, you may have opened a new can of worms when you mentioned that Mr. Zero originally had 12 or 15 verses. Get ready for a barage of requests for the 'missing' Mr. Zero verses!

West Florida Summer's Child
rob68

Post by rob68 »

Oh no, I got online later than usual tonight. Just sent an e-mail to the 'bald guys' asking if the show will be archived...
....I went to the river and I stood on the shore. I stood in the twilight of the life I had before....
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

...sounds like a good radio stint...

...my last comment, re negativity...

"...the dogs bark, but the caravan rolls on..."

Re "Mr. Zero" - uh-oh! - does this mean we'll hear an extended techno-dance "disco" version (a la "Macarthur Park") "doof-doofing" from the back of teens' hotted-up cars, as they cruise ours streets - kids with their caps on back the front, and product placement completely obliterating their rear windows ???!!!

Or, (ahem), am I just a grumpy old man who gets just a LITTLE overly defensive of his musical tastes, - and their artists...?

Play on Bob...
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

Thanks for the notification - I managed to catch this at 7:00 am Monday local time, earlier than I normally rise!

I doubt we will hear a barrage of new verses for Mister Zero. The point I thought Bob was making was that lots of ideas come into the head when putting a song together, but you don't use every single one, you don't need to. (Unless you're Bob Dylan.) :P
I was rather surprised at the comments about Burl Ives, because I only know him through his Little Bitty Teary songs, which were too schmaltzy for my taste.

I was also rather impressed by the fact that the presenters also seem to appreciate new music as well as old, as long as it's good - they mentioned Gentle Giant who are generally categorised as progressive. We need shows like this on local radio here - to my knowledge we don't have any such shows. I'm sure I could come up with a better name for the show though, I know it's meant in a humorous self-deprecating way but I can imagine people being put off by the name.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

Did anyone tape it, by chance...?...and if so, prepared to send to some deserving Antipodean wonderful person...? (Guess who...)