royalties

Share favorite lyrics, swap guitar tabs and talk about the songs.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

Is "Ploaia care va veni" actually "Remember the Rain"?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 6

Emanon

royalties

Post by Emanon »

It's a shame that nobody credits Bob for the Romanian song "Ploaia care va veni" (check it out on YouTube), which is actually "Remember the Rain" (plagiated via the Italian version by Caterina Caselli - "E' la pioggia che va" -again, check it out on YouTube).
Last edited by Emanon on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

They got one or two of the chords wrong, but yes it's definitely Remember the Rain.

What's the story here? Was this version of the song recorded and marketed? This looks and sounds like a high school band rehearsing in front of interested friends and family. It actually doesn't sound too bad until the very end, when the two guys trying to hit the high note are woefully out of tune.
Last edited by bob_32_116 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emanon

Post by Emanon »

bob_32_116 wrote:They got one or two of the chords wrong, but yes it's definitely Remember the Rain.

What's the story here? Was this version of the song recorded and marketed? This looks and sounds like a high school band rehearsing in front of interested friends and family. It actually doesn't sound too bad until the very end, when the two guys trying to hit the high note are woefully out of tune.
Yes, the song was recorded by a Romanian group called "Pasarea Colibri" in the early 1990s, and it is credited to Dorin Liviu Zaharia/Echipa 1984.
Last edited by Emanon on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jill

Post by Jill »

Thank you Emanon for bringing this to my attention. Sometimes these things get by me, so it means a lot to us that fans let us know about these things when they see them.
--Jill
Last edited by Jill on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liz

ROYALTIES - REMEMBER THE RAIN

Post by Liz »

This is the link for the 'Romanian' version :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87BcGjSnO6A

and then there is another one by a 'singer' called Florian Pittis:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qNWssdp ... re=related

This is the link for the Italian version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swKVRD28Ipw

and this is the link for the Rokes version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nxyQ-gM ... re=related

Obviously a VERY popular song and I hope Bob is reaping the benefits!!
Last edited by Liz on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I can't walk roads of anger - I ain't got the time"
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

Let me just second Jill's sentiments expressed above.
Emanon, Liz, a heart-felt thank you. We always appreciate hearing about bootleg (or seemingly bootleg) renditions of my songs.
Sometimes we're the last ones to know about them.
For the record, The Rokes and another Italian group called Pooh who just recorded Italian language versions of two of my songs, are completely legit. Their covers are legal and appreciated.
We're investigating the Romanian covers and, for now, we're giving them the benefit of the doubt.
The point is that we appreciate the vigilance of fans and friends who care enough to let us know about these possible rip-offs.
Thanks.
Last edited by Lind on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emanon

Post by Emanon »

"We're investigating the Romanian covers and, for now, we're giving them the benefit of the doubt."

As to the Romanian version: the Italian version by Caterina Caselli was on the soundtrack of an Italian movie that was very popular in Romania at the time- mid-60s (I used to know the name, but I am getting old...). At that time, very few Western movies were shown in Romania (some Italian and French ones were some of the exceptions), so as the young people in Romania were starved for Western things, everything in them was analyzed in detail and copied (fashion, music, etc.). At that time there was no concept about copyright in Communist countries, especially if it was pilfered from the "enemy" capitalists :)
A guy called Dorin Liviu Zaharia put Romanian lyrics to the song. The lyrics are very good I have to say (totally anti-communist, but in a hidden, subtle way). Of course, the song was never recorded or even played at concerts during the Communist times (until 1989). It was only played among friends. Dorin Liviu Zaharia (nicknamed "Chubby") was a hippie as much as anybody could be a hippie in a Communist country. He was the lead singer of a band called Olimpic '64). One of his friends was an actor, Florian Pittis, who also liked singing. After the Romanian revolution (and after Chubby died in 1987), Pittis formed a group called Pasarea Colibri (the colibri bird) with three more musicians and "Ploaia care va veni" was recorded on one of their CDs in the early 1990s and was a staple song at all their concerts. As far as I know, the production of the CD was financed by private sponsoring (not by a record company). The song is credited to Dorin Liviu Zaharia/Echipa 1984. Chubby never claimed the melody as his own (that would have been stupid of him if he did, as "everybody" knew the Italian version from the movie).
As Florian Pittis died last year, the YouTube versions are a tribute to him. You can listen to Dorin Liviu Zaharia singing a different song with Olimpic '64 on YouTube (can't post the link it seems).