The New Jersey show with Odetta

Where's Bob now? Lind live shows, CD releases and media appearances.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

grant
Admonkeystrator

The New Jersey show with Odetta

Post by grant »

There's still time for you New Jerseyites to get tickets to the Lind/Odetta concert. To whet your appetites, here's a story on the show.
Last edited by grant on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rob68

Post by rob68 »

Nice article. Did anyone from the forum go to the show? Hope it went well Bob!
Last edited by rob68 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
....I went to the river and I stood on the shore. I stood in the twilight of the life I had before....
Maddo

Post by Maddo »

Somebody - please - tell us about the show ! T'was a bit far for us to travel. :cry:
Last edited by Maddo on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

I'm with you, Maddo...

C'mon, you lot...cough up...!

(Grant...are you receiving...?) ':P'
Last edited by Danny Harris on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grant
Admonkeystrator

Post by grant »

Well, apparently the Florida Outlaws who were volunteering as Lind's personal security got a little rowdy during the first half of his set.
But the blood was worth it (so I hear) when Tony Iommi sat in on lead guitar for "Go Ask Your Man." I didn't even know he was in Jersey.
Last edited by grant on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
grant
Admonkeystrator

Post by grant »

Rumor has it actual attendees will be sharing information sometime soon.

Stay tuned.
Last edited by grant on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jill

Concert at Washington Crossing

Post by Jill »

If I were to tell you that a performer injured himself onstage and played his set with his face covered in blood, you might logically assume that that dramatic occurrence was the most memorable aspect of the show.
Well, it's a testimony to Bob's onstage charisma, experience and sheer performing power that although indeed he DID cut his forehead toward the end of the set, incredibly, as heart-stopping as it was when it happened, it was NOT the most memorable aspect of the show.
The music was!
First, to dispense with the "gore": After playing a touching and beautiful rendition of "Perspective," Bob started to switch from his Taylor to his Martin guitar and in the process, struck his brow with the edge of the Taylor. As so often happens with minor head and facial cuts, blood started streaming down his face.
Several concerned audience members rushed to his aid with tissues and alcohol wipes. But Bob brushed it off, making it clear that he wasn't seriously hurt. And although it did snap people to attention briefly, he continued, dispensing with it by telling the crowd of about 300: "Okay, now I have the sympathy vote."
By the end of the show, however, it was his songs, not his "bravery" and perseverance that earned him a strong standing-ovation encore.
He started with "Roll the Windows Down” and played a 60 minute set that included “Gravity of the World,” “Wearing You,” “Someone to Adore,” “Cheryl’s Goin’ Home,” and “Elusive Butterfly” to name a few. He played his wonderfully moving rendition of Tom Paxton’s “Bottle of Wine” and sang “How the Nights Can Fly” for his encore.
Although Odetta is now in a wheel chair, her power onstage is unstoppable. Bob and Odetta on the same bill was a perfect combination. The audience enjoyed a whole night of amazing music and left with huge smiles on their faces. I have the best job on the planet. I get to go to every Bob Lind concert, it sure doesn’t get better than this.
Last edited by Jill on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

':D'
Last edited by Danny Harris on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lou C.

Belatedly but gratefully ...

Post by Lou C. »

From the (I hope) Better-Late-Than-Never-Department, to follow tardily on Jill's comments ....

Bob's show was fantastic. The range he has found in his voice, the flow of the set, his stylings and interpretations as he continues to rediscover and form his own work, and yes, his composure and true entertainer spirit as the blood flowed.

I've heard Bob performing live going back to his days at the Analyst in Denver, pre-Butterfly. But despite a few songs he sang for us during a visit to Santa Fe a few years ago for Al Chapman's (my dad's) wedding, I hadn't seen Bob perform for an audience since probably the mid-70s.

I was thrilled to hear live (and from the front row) four songs that I previously had heard only in demo version - either on CDs or via Bob's gracious downloads - and which I count among my favorites and his best from the past four decades: Roll the Windows Down, Gravity of the World, Perspective, Someone to Adore.

After opening with "Windows," Bob went directly acapella into "Gravity," bringing in the guitar after the first few lines. The song did indeed carry the gravity of the world as Bob punched out every syllable and almost showed us these guys floating in space like specks of dust. After the renewed-hopes, sunshine-filled opener of "Windows," with "Gravity" Bob set the stage for an hour of the kind of bittersweet, love-and-loss, tension-and-release songs that he does like no one else (set up for the audience like the Luna show, which followed "Love to Sing" with the self-effacing and lonely "The Laughing Song.")

"Someone to Adore"? Yep, Bob played the harmonica on the bridge. He told how the song was dedicated to his mother ... and to the audience that night.

"Perspective" is among my favorites of Bob's recent songs. This performance was penetrating. His fingerpicking was sharp and rolled wonderfully against the eyes-wide-open sad reality expressed in the lyrics.

Now, Odetta. What to say about this amazing woman? She channels voices and spirituality of the ages. Now in a wheelchair, incredibly thin and singing to the accompaniment of a pianist, her eyes shone so brightly, her smile was so huge and luminous and her voice so rich and resonant.

Which all is to say, if you get a chance to hear Bob live, do it.
If you are still listening only to his older stuff or not giving his new stuff a chance, you're missing an entire evolution of a species.

Regards,
Lou
Last edited by Lou C. on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave the Rave

Bob Lind NJ Concert May 10, 2008

Post by Dave the Rave »

I am happy to see such warm and glowing reviews of Bob Lind's NJ performance on May 10th, 2008. I admit to not having stopped by this message board in awhile, but I became curious to see what kind of buzz there might be from those who were fortunate to attend Bob's NJ concert.

I must say that I so very much agree with the well written reviews that have been given by Jill and Lou. I was indeed a witness to this magnificent performance and as such offer my testimony to the truthfulness of all that has been written.

I would like to share with all some insight as to this particular day, why I attended this show, and why this evening was so inspiring and rewarding for me.

Saturday nights are always a great play day for me because it is my night to dig into my very deep vinyl collection and spin whatever I like without fear of retribution from some Program Director. I look forward to my Saturday night on internet radio with much passion.

However, over the years, I have developed a nice friendship with Bob Lind through his guest appearances on my both my XM radio show I did, my current syndicated show, and even on my anything goes Saturday night Internet radio show. Bob even took time on New Years eve to call into my show and wish me and all the listeners a Happy New Years. Believe me when I tell you that many artists who never had quite the success of Bob Lind would take the time out to call or be that simple regular down to earth guy that Bob has always been.

That said...I knew I would have to give up my Saturday night on the radio to finally meet face to face and equally important to hear this elusive singer perform. This decision was not as easy as you would think but I just had this intuition that Bob Lind in concert would be a warm and magical event. It was all of that as previously reported along with a touch of gore as Bob sang with the blood rushing down the right side of his face from his self inflicted cut above his right eyebrow.

Bob Lind sounded great! He really did! What Bob Lind excelled in this night was something many artists often pale in. Bob Lind sang and conversed with the audience in such a way that we not only got to hear the well performed music of Bob Lind, but we also were able to feel like Bob was one of us. Bob was singing to us and not above us.

Even before I had a chance to personally meet face to face with Bob, I already felt like a magical connection had been made just from seeing him work his craft on stage. I find that it is always a special show when a performer has that special ability that allows you to feel like you've just met your new best friend.

Bob Lind performed extremely well and won this crowd over almost instantly because of his great rapport, song selection, and musical perspective that he gave the audience. My instincts to give up my Saturday in the No-Static Attic playing records to go see Bob Lind were correct. Bob Lind's music and his warmth touched all.

The elusive butterfly was finally in a net, and I am so glad that we met! Now get back to NJ soon!

Dave the Rave
Last edited by Dave the Rave on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jill

Post by Jill »

Just in case some of you don't know about Dave, I thought I'd fill you in.
Dave the Rave does a radio show called Relics & Rarities which specializes in the songs that should have been hits along with the hits. Many styles of music are played on this show from soul, garage, folk-rock, surf, instrumentals, etc. Relics & Rarities airs in several markets but the live Saturday nite show airs 10pm-3am Eastern Time and the link to listen can be found at http://www.topshelfoldies.com. Dave's website can be viewed at http://www.davetherave.com. Thanks for the great post Dave, it was wonderful finally meeting you in person.
Last edited by Jill on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

grant wrote:Well, apparently the Florida Outlaws who were volunteering as Lind's personal security got a little rowdy during the first half of his set.
But the blood was worth it (so I hear) when Tony Iommi sat in on lead guitar for "Go Ask Your Man." I didn't even know he was in Jersey.
You need to watch how you treat those guys. Remember Altamont.
Last edited by bob_32_116 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

...shades of "...he kicked my arse on the bar-room floor..." (as we Aussies would say...)
ekueadattxut

Re: The New Jersey show with Odetta

Post by ekueadattxut »

Wish I had known that Bob was in NJ then...heck, I didn't even know he was still touring...that's fantastic. A great venue for him in Joizy is the Santuary Concert series in Chatham. It would be a perfect fit...check it out, Bob. And "Elusive Butterfly" is one of the most memorable and original songs from the sixties...still sounds great.
Clutch