Bob, do you remember playing the Vanguard in Kansas City?

Where's Bob now? Lind live shows, CD releases and media appearances.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

firsttiger

Bob, do you remember playing the Vanguard in Kansas City?

Post by firsttiger »

I vividly remember meeting you at the Vanguard, a coffeehouse at 43rd & Main in Kansas City. Stan Plesser ran the place and later Cowtown Ballroom. Two distinct memories of that night:
You deflected requests for "Elusive Butterfly", saying you didn't want to feel like the girl who says to a horny date, "Is that all you want me for?".
and
What a genuinely nice guy you were. You visited with me for several minutes and came across as a very down -to-earth gentleman, not caught up in celebrity.

That night I learned you were much more than "Elusive Butterfly". I became a lifelong fan, purchased several albums, and to this day, "Since There Were Circles" is one of my favorite albums of all time.

If memory serves, yo were living in Santa Fe at the time. Apparently you are now in Florida. Hope you are doing well.

Paul Blackman
Last edited by firsttiger on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Blackman
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

Hi Paul, welcome to the board, great to hear from you.
I don't remember that club per se, or anyone I met there. But I do remember a tour through Missouri, Kansas and Illinois circa 1970. That's consistent because I was indeed living in Santa Fe then.
Those years are mostly a blur and it's a credit to your tolerance and kind regard for human nature that you found anything to like about me in those days.
Yes. I went through a selfish and grandiose period when I refused to sing "Elusive Butterfly." One of my old friends who read your post reminds me that when someone would request butterfly, I'd say "Hey, man, I'm not a juke box."
Those days are over now and I play both old AND new songs in my shows.

Good to hear you like CIRCLES and I hope you're aware of my live CD, released in late 2006. If not, check out the CD Reviews section of this site.
Stay close the forum. We appreciate your input.
Last edited by Lind on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
firsttiger

1970 sounds right.

Post by firsttiger »

Bob

I was in my latter days of college (University of Missouri), then. (I have a sister who is your contemporary). In those days the Vanguard featured Brewer & Shipley, Danny Cox, and The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. Do any of those names ring a bell?

Your music, especially on the Since There Were Circles album evoked so much imagery. The title song and Spilling Over, in particular, seemed so personal and heartfelt. It would be interesting to know what inspired you. Each, along with others, really touched me deeply.

Thanks for the prompt reply. You really do monitor the board.

Paul
Paul Blackman