Bob Covers

General discussion & socializing in a Lind-related vein.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

royb404

Bob Covers

Post by royb404 »

I am totally sure this has been covered before-but I am OLD and new to this forum.
What is Bob's favorite covers of his songs??
I would like to know song by song.
Personally I think "The Blues Project" cover of "Cheryl's Going Home" is awesome.
Not on CD-yet, so I cherish the LP.
Roy in Dallas
Last edited by royb404 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

Hey Roy,
Thanks for this and all your recent great posts. Stay close to the board.

This is a segment of an interview I did with Andrew Earles last year. It's a longwinded way of answering your question, but I think it says what I feel:

What about the cover tunes? What are your favorite cover versions?
I’ll begin with a blanket disclaimer.
For one thing, more artists are writing their own songs these days, fewer and fewer seem to be doing other people’s. But even among the ones who do, “competition” (not the best word, but let’s let it stand for now) among writers for space on a CD is unthinkably intense. An album has space for about 12 cuts — well, slightly more now, with CDs. Let’s say 14 to 16. Of those, maybe five to seven will be written by the artist himself, or the producer, or co-written by the artist with someone in the band.
Of the other tracks, most will be standards or at least well-known songs. Lennon and McCartney are still being recorded. So are Dylan, Bacharach-David, Carole King and of course the American Songbag writers like Rogers-Hammerstein, Cole Porter, Kander and Ebb and the like. And that’s not to mention the modern singer/songwriters.
That leaves a small sliver of room for me.
Anytime an artist chooses one of my songs to fill one of those slots, I’m grateful beyond words, far too grateful to stand in judgment of his or her rendition.
That said, I will tell you this: I know there are songwriters who believe their version is the only right and correct way to present their song. If one takes liberties or gives it a new slant, they feel violated. I think Sondheim has that clear and specific vision of his work. So does Jimmy Webb, who almost always orchestrates and conducts his new tunes with the artists who cut them.
I’m not from that school.
I like it most when an artist gives my song something that surprises me — shows me an aspect of my song that I never knew was there.
Case in point: Back in the 80s, a fellow named Jon Otway, a Brit Punk-rocker recorded “Cheryl’s Goin’ Home.” His performance of it was in a film called “Urghhh! A Music War.” It’s wild and metallic and the intensity is cranked all the way up to 10. Friends who have heard my version can’t believe it when I say I love Otway’s. He makes it theatrical, skirting the line between playing up the desperation and playing the whole thing for laughs (even adding a little melodramatic rap riff).
The point is that he found something in the song I never knew was there and he reached a whole segment of listeners that my version might never have found.
Of my favorite cuts, I guess number one would be Richie Havens’ version of “How the Nights Can Fly.” It’s completely different from mine. But, with an artist like Richie, that’s what you expect. He makes everything he does totally his own.
When my manager heard Richie’s version for the first time, after hearing mine for months, she said, “It’s great. But it’s a different song.” In a way she’s right.
Also up there with my favorite covers is Nancy Sinatra’s “Long Time Woman.”
I was never a Nancy Sinatra fan. But she presents my song with a simple, unadorned honesty that compels one to listen and feel. The complete reverse of “Boots,” which, in my opinion, she overplays. When I wrote “Long Time Woman,” I never thought it would ever be covered — much less by a woman. But she sings it with a powerful restraint, never giving it more than it needs. I love it.
I like Keith Relf’s “Mr. Zero” on which Eric Clapton is playing guitar.
I like Hoyt Axton’s “I Love To Sing.”
And I like the two very different versions of “Counting” I’ve heard. One by Marianne Faithful, the other recorded just recently by Jamie Hoover.
And of the 80-plus covers of “Elusive Butterfly,” (again, no one believes me) I favor Petula Clark’s slow, simple statement of the song. She only does one verse and does it in a very thoughtful laid-back tempo.
And, perhaps for sentimental reasons, I like “Down in Suburbia” by the Turtles. It was the first-ever cut of a Lind song. They recorded it before I had so much as one release as an artist.
Cher’s version of “Come to Your Window” was also recorded long before anyone knew who the hell I was, months before my version of “Elusive Butterfly” was released. I still feel grateful for their belief in those songs.

Anyone interested in reading the whole interview can follow this link:
http://www.failedpilot.com/2007/03/10/r ... -bob-lind/
Last edited by Lind on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Mcintyre

Re: Bob Covers

Post by Jim Mcintyre »

Hi Bob and everyone

This is my first post for along time due to pc problems

It was me you sent a message to thanking me for We May Have touched on Youtube..its one of my favourite songs

Have you heard this version of one of your songs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGnbqf59rDg

Best regards

Jim
Last edited by Jim Mcintyre on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
we may have touched
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

Hi Jim,
Yeah. I did indeed send you a personal message thanking you for posting "We May Have Touched." As I said, it's not on any of the reissues and it was good to hear it again.
I think it was Tommy Oliver who produced that one. No? The tempo is a little fast and I'm not crazy about that frantic flute, but overall I like what he did with it.

And yes, I love the Deeply Felt Puppet Theatre's sensitive rendering of "I Love To Sing."
rob68

Post by rob68 »

Lind wrote:Hi Jim,
Yeah. I did indeed send you a personal message thanking you for posting "We May Have Touched." As I said, it's not on any of the reissues and it was good to hear it again.
I think it was Tommy Oliver who produced that one. No? The tempo is a little fast and I'm not crazy about that frantic flute, but overall I like what he did with it.
Mac Davis, according to the 45.

I think Tommy Oliver did "It's Just My Love", if I'm not mistaken.
Last edited by rob68 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
....I went to the river and I stood on the shore. I stood in the twilight of the life I had before....
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

Score one for the message board historian. Yes, Mac Davis. It all comes back to me now. I remember we did "Neon Lies" together. Just forgot we cut "We May Have Touched" on the same session.

A gold star for Rob.
jeffbenton

Post by jeffbenton »

Guess what I found today! Nancy Sinatra's cover of Long Time Woman. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXG8hwr3MBc

P.S. I don't know what the deal is with the Walker Brothers addendum (unless Nancy's boots were made for "walkering" --sorry!).

West Florida Summer's Child
Last edited by jeffbenton on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
West Florida Summer's Child

"...maybe Bethlehem is you and me..."
John Duncan

Post by John Duncan »

Not sure if this has been posted before but just found Cher's version of 'Come to your window" on You Tube. I'd not heard this song before.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjK-9YMB ... re=related
Last edited by John Duncan on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

John Duncan wrote:Not sure if this has been posted before but just found Cher's version of 'Come to your window" on You Tube. I'd not heard this song before.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjK-9YMB ... re=related
I bought this from iTunes...but can anyone (Lind, Rob 68, Bob 32, etc.) tell me - did Cher also record "Bring It All Down"? Or did I imagine that?

I've picked up most of the "Lind recommended" covers from iTunes, but cannot locate "BIAD"...
Last edited by Danny Harris on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some may call it wander-lust, some may call it crazy.
I don't call it anything - I Just Let It Take Me."
Jim Mcintyre

Post by Jim Mcintyre »

It was i who posted Long Time Woman...one of my fave Lind songs...the Walker Brothers was just an afterthought

Bob..if theres a problem with it being on YouTube i will delete it

Best regards

Jim
Last edited by Jim Mcintyre on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
we may have touched
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

Hey Jim. No problem at all. Thanks for posting it.

And Danny: No. The song was written for Cher, but she never recorded it. It was covered by a trio called The Satisfactions. Jack Nitzsche's wife Gracia was in the group.