Verve Album??

Share favorite lyrics, swap guitar tabs and talk about the songs.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

royb404

Verve Album??

Post by royb404 »

Wandering,Cool Summer and Hard Road are my Faves.
What do Y'all think??
Roy in Dallas
Last edited by royb404 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

:) ...Black Night & Gold Mine Blues for mine...(shh! - don't let Bob know we're talking about this - I believe that he's a BIG Mr. Zero when it comes to that pressing...!)
Last edited by Danny Harris on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

Don't mention the Verve album. Don't ANYBODY mention the Verve album.

I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it.
Last edited by bob_32_116 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Susanne Gilmore

Post by Susanne Gilmore »

Then I guess that I won 't mention the fact that I have 5 or 6 copies of the Verve album, still in the original shrink-wrap. They have never been opened and never been played. I've had them since the early 80's. Bob had mentioned to me once (or twice, or several times) that he didn't want anyone to hear that album, so when I found them in a remainder bin, I "rescued" all the copies that they had. They have been stored ever since, and will continue to stay in the closet.
We go to record swap meets every once in a while, and I have seen copies of Don't Be Concerned and Photographs for sale, but I have never seen a Verve album, or a copy of Circles. (hey Bob - the last time that we went, I found a copy of a compilation album that my boyfriend's old band had contributed a track to. That was funny!!!! We got a discount on it because I pointed out his picture on the back cover to the woman that was selling it.)
Last edited by Susanne Gilmore on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

Verve album..?...what Verve album?javascriptemoticon(':shock:')
Shocked

..."Basil!"...I mean - "Bob 32 etc. !"
Last edited by Danny Harris on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maddo

Re: Verve Album??

Post by Maddo »

I know we are not supposed to mention that album but I reckon Bob's version of W.B Yeats' "Song of the Wandering Aengus" is great and perhaps second only to the version by Donovan.

“silver apples of the moon” and “golden apples of the sun”
Last edited by Maddo on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Susanne Gilmore

Post by Susanne Gilmore »

I haven't heard the Donovan's take on the song, but the Judy Collins version still gives me goosebumps everytime I hear it, even after all these years. (and I mean that in a good way!)
Last edited by Susanne Gilmore on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maddo

Post by Maddo »

I agree Suzanne, Judy Collins version is excellent.
This should lead you to Donovan's rendition --
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQUT6mS0eY8
This just and audio, there was a video clip of Donovan performing the song but I can not locate it now. I feel Donovan's Celtic accent adds an extra feeling to the poem, as perhaps Yeats would have spoken.
Last edited by Maddo on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

Oh yes That's beautiful, Maddo. Thanks. Donovan is perfect for it.
Yeats was such a great poet and indeed, Donovan's accent and cadences serve the song well.
I learned my version from the Judy Collins album and had never heard Donovan's or anyone else's. Knowing that those two incredible renditions are out there puts me into a deeper cringe recalling my own limp little teen-age version.
But okay, I will shut up about it.
Last edited by Lind on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rob68

Wandering...

Post by rob68 »

Bob, your version is great. Cuss me out if you must but I still love your Verve album.

I also love Terry Callier's version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU8iTTiesLM
Last edited by rob68 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
....I went to the river and I stood on the shore. I stood in the twilight of the life I had before....
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

Drifting slightly off-topic here, but Judy Collins had a way with interpreting other people's songs. She also did Donovan's "Sunny Goodge Street", and in my opinion her version is better that the original. Donovan's rendition has a melancholy sound that I find quite at odds with the lyrics, while Judy makes the song sound - well, Sunny.

The fact that she is such a good cover artist tends to obscure the fact that she can also write excellent songs herself. Check out "My Father" and "Albatross" for example (the latter has nothing to do with the Fleetwood Mac piece of the same name).

-------------------------------------------------

Also O/T, but regarding Lind albums in record stores, I have seen the Circles album in a (physical) record store here not too long ago. They also had the "Jack Nitzche Sessions", but I didn't bother to acquire that, because the track listing is almost the same as the Footsteps album.