Recommendations? Bob's favorite artists?

General discussion & socializing in a Lind-related vein.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

wtbuser

Recommendations? Bob's favorite artists?

Post by wtbuser »

I just got in to you Mr. Lind via Pandora over the summer, absolutely fell in love with Cool Summer which led me to others. I've got several albums now and without a doubt Since There Were Circles is my absolute favorite. I was wondering if you or anyone else could suggest some similar music? I could have Sweet Harriet, Loser, Not That I would Want Her Back, She Can Get Along, and We Are Children Still on repeat for a months time and I'd be in heaven... but then again the whole albums is magic!

I've tried finding "similar" artists via amazon, pandora, last fm, and so on and its all just a complete bore or unremarkable bands I've always known of. I guess I'm at a bit of a disadvantage due to my age. None seem to carry the pace or instrumentation style, that folkish bluesy rock blend- you sure found the perfect balance.

On another note, I find it a complete travesty that I found you by complete random chance... you should be known by everyone with an ear for music.♦
Last edited by wtbuser on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

G'day wtbuser:-

...heard Clifford T Ward ? :)
Last edited by Danny Harris on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

Welcome to the board, wtbuser. Good to have you with us.
I appreciate your kind words but I'm the last one to know which artists are similar to me. That concept can take so many forms and have so many shadings.
My guess, however, is that if you watch this thread closely over the next few weeks, there will be members posting with suggestions.

Meanwhile, enjoy yourself and stay close to the forum.

Hi to you too, Danny. Always a joy to hear from you.
Last edited by Lind on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LIND-LIKE MUSIC

Post by GUEST »

TRY LISTENING TO JIM CROCE
Last edited by GUEST on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Good music

Post by Guest »

You may enjoy Steve Poltz - You Remind Me Who I Am - springs to mind
Last edited by Guest on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grant
Admonkeystrator

Post by grant »

You may find what you're looking for in Richard Hawley, who's a big Lind fan and who's singing with Lind over on the videos on the Gigs Page in the main part of the board.

I don't find him particularly Lindesque (Lindelian?) but I won't hesitate to recommend John Darnielle of The Mountain Goats for those who like acoustic guitars and literate lyrics without being over-folky. There's a great recent Mountain Goats song hither and some of the older, more acousticky stuff thither and yon.

(In the Splendid interview, the audio files are stuck in the text of the interview itself. The best is "There Will Be No Divorce", I think. They're not mp3s, they're RealPlayer files.)
Last edited by grant on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lost In The Crash

Post by Lost In The Crash »

Jake Holmes maybe? His first 2 albums are really great, IMO.
Last edited by Lost In The Crash on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lost In The Crash

Artists whose work bears a resemblance to Bob's.

Have you listened to Al Stewart?
Last edited by Lost In The Crash on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

We could all go on for ages with our suggestions- and rightfully so ...

...in Bob Lind, I identify the best of Paxton, Rush, Hardin,...even Dylan...

...lyrics = intelligent. melody = sweet! wit ? oh, yeah...! poetry ? in spades...

..enjoy, comrades - we are bloody lucky to be able to savour the artistry and penmanship of a tunesmith/balladeer whose works now are just as relevant, poignant, thought-provoking and moving - in a "I wish I had said that..!" way...as were his initial classy lines in the glory days of '66 and thereabouts...

...play on and sing on, young man...your gift is much appreciated...
Last edited by Danny Harris on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
royb404

Post by royb404 »

Listen to Josh Ritter. Especially "Wolves".
Bob has a magic with words I can only relate to as with Jimmy Webb and Paul Williams, not there hit but there hiden classics the word weaving and the hidden thoughts.
To me Bob is the only person that can take a canves and weave a vision that you not only hear but think about for decades. But most of all carry in your soul.. I am 60 and loved the songs from the start.
I have gotten laid to more of Bob's songs than Johnny Matthis, and that says something comng from a "Child" of the 60's.
Roy in Dallas
Last edited by royb404 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lost In The Crash

royb404 wrote: I have gotten laid to more of Bob's songs than Johnny Matthis, and that says something comng from a "Child" of the 60's.
Roy in Dallas
How do you know how many of Bob's songs Johnny Mathis has "gotten laid" to? :D
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

The above posting was from me :oops:
Last edited by bob_32_116 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

...yes...a few of us guessed that it was you...!!javascriptemoticon(':)')
Smile
royb404

Post by royb404 »

Anonymous wrote:
royb404 wrote: I have gotten laid to more of Bob's songs than Johnny Matthis, and that says something comng from a "Child" of the 60's.
Roy in Dallas
How do you know how many of Bob's songs Johnny Mathis has "gotten laid" to? :D
Johnny is of the "alternate" lifestyle. I know tha tfor a hard fact.
So I think none. Perhaps the V. People or Judy.
Roy
Last edited by royb404 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

royb404 wrote: Johnny is of the "alternate" lifestyle. I know tha tfor a hard fact.
So I think none. Perhaps the V. People or Judy.
Roy
Yes, I think I knew that. Didn't he "come out" at about the same time as Elton John did?

Being gay myself, I am ashamed to say that the majority of gay men have the most dreadful musical tastes. It's got to either be music-hall cabaret style, which I can take in small doses, or that thump, thump, thumping disoc music that almost sets my teeth on edge. And for some reason the singers who get idolised by the gay crowd mostly seem to be women. Never could figure that one.

I like a lot of musical styles but my favourites are the folk-rock style of the late 60's and the melodic progressive rock of the late 60s/early 70s typified by Genesis, Pink Floyd, Moody Blues etc. You certainly don't hear any of that sort of music at the clubs. :(
Last edited by bob_32_116 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.