Travels With Lind...

General discussion & socializing in a Lind-related vein.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

bob_32_116

Re: Travels With Lind...

Post by bob_32_116 »

Danny Harris wrote:Ah...the sun has wiped the sky sparkling clear with frost,...
It took me a few minutes to figure out what song this line came from - I knew it wasn't one of Lind's.
I finally nailed it.
Last edited by bob_32_116 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

Really? Am I "The Bubonic Plagiarist"? It was my attempt at poetry, Sandgroper Bob...didn't know I was stealin'...
Last edited by Danny Harris on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some may call it wander-lust, some may call it crazy.
I don't call it anything - I Just Let It Take Me."
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

It's very similar to a line in The Greatest Dicovery, by Elton John (lyrics of course written by Bernie Taupin).
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

Yeah, I know the song...from the self-titled Lp (Oz release)..."but what's this brand-new bed, here.."

Sorry, Elton...please don't sue me...

No, mate...my pontifications were purely Lind-inspired...
Last edited by Danny Harris on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

Back from Portland, Vic. "She Can Get Along" was belting out from my LindMix, then "Wrong Again", cruising through Branxholme. Fuelled up at Hamilton and it was "Gravity of the World" as the predicted severe winds hit the State..."the lies that guard our pride..."

Dark as all get out through Streatham and Skipton (no 'roos, thankfully) as the white Ford climbed through the bush lined road and I heard "there was a man who dreamed a dream..."

Debris was blowing across the road all the way home, and when I pulled into the driveway Lind was right into "We've Never Spoken"...

Tomorrow, it's Ballarat, then Koondrook...Friday it's Kerang and Ballarat (hope the footy team can win!)... Saturday I play politics at the Party Conference in Melbourne...glad I've got some decent Lind tracks on my iPod, to ward off the ennui...
grant
Admonkeystrator

Post by grant »

It's blisteringly hot here now.

Stay cool on the equator's flipside.
Last edited by grant on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

Aye - and we'll do the old switcheroo come November...

"...and I'll smile and say I remember May"...

I guess I'm one of those sooky Aussies who prefers the cold and rain to scorching heat and parching winds...

suck it all in, Grant...our summer message Downunder is "slip, slop, slap" - slip on a shirt, slap on some sun-screen, slap on a hat...
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

Danny Harris wrote:Aye - and we'll do the old switcheroo come November...

I guess I'm one of those sooky Aussies who prefers the cold and rain to scorching heat and parching winds...

suck it all in, Grant...our summer message Downunder is "slip, slop, slap" - slip on a shirt, slap on some sun-screen, slap on a hat...
Ummm... that's the clean version. :)

and I certainly prefer heat to cold. As a matter of fact I always find May a depressing month. Winters are not that bad once I have got used to them, but it's the preamble that I dislike - having to start wearing lots of clothes again after being accustomed to the lack of them over summer.

I suppose winter has its compensations - though I can't think of any at the moment.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

So, Bob 32: you "Remember The Rain, when you think of the sunshine..."?

I'm ok with weather, like "when Denver's winter stripped the trees...", "come hear me shouting through the rain...", "like a puppydog lost in the rain...", "Maybe It's The Rain", "...the dark surrendered to the grey..", etc.

You can keep your Aussie summer, Bob 32 - too bloody hot for me! Although, mind you, it's a great excuse to sink a jar or two of Cooper's beer...(ha-ha!)
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

Victoria, the Garden State, has returned to its former glory - rivers in flood, what a beautiful sight! Lind came with me, up through Dunolly, Tarnagulla, Bridgewater-on-Loddon, Serpentine, Kerang, Koondrook - taking it all in, to the sounds of "Somewhere In This City", "Have A Lovely Yesterday", "San Francisco Woman" and "Fennario".
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

Aerial crop spraying at the Laen - Cope Cope Road intersection - locust plague feared big time in Vic. - "I thought the Wright Brothers were crazy...." Wrong Again" belted out from work car # 18...

"they can begin to look like snakes in your living room", warns Lind (overrated problems, that is, not locusts)... "Go Ahead And Go" - Lind had folded his arms and pursed his lips on this one...

A bright red kangaroo hopped across the road up ahead just north of Stuart Mill, at 9.48am - uncommon to see them in daylight...the tyre marks tell a story of many night travellers hitting the anchors....

"You may notice I don't write a lot of political songs", our man was reminding us, cruising in the right hand lane through Avoca...

Lexton was treated to a sing along rendition of "May" - "we put a lot of passion into those thirty days", reminisced the writer/singer...

What a glorious Spring day! By the time I hit Waubra, the countryside was as green and lush as I've ever seen it - and Luna Star's "I Love To Sing" seemed to avow a similar confirmation of delight...

Learmonth's lake is now - well, a lake - after 12 years drought, and the little town and its highway/main street treed avenue ushered me through.

I'd returned from a most successful expedition, having identified two new, young, committed, active union delegates in Buloke Shire - young women who care and want to make a difference...

"I'm building up my walls to keep my fredom in", sings Lind on "I Fall To You" and my left hand adds percussion by way of the vacant passenger's seat-belt slot, smacked against the console side (sounds like an album's liner notes, don't it - ha ha!)

A brief snaking onto and then off the Western Highway into Ballarat, with one of my absolute favourites - "Love Came Riding" - "Me, I've always been lazy, so I took the closest course", admitted a wistful Lind...

Nosed its way up the drive, did the motor vehicle, finishing its serenade with "Reno, Funtown, USA" - "...hid myself below the TV stand..."
Stephenavare

Post by Stephenavare »

bob_32_116 wrote:
Danny Harris wrote:Aye - and we'll do the old switcheroo come November...

Ummm... that's the clean version. :)

and I certainly prefer heat to cold. As a matter of fact I always find May a depressing month. Winters are not that bad once I have got used to them, Rocket Spanish Review|Learn French but it's the preamble that I dislike - having to start wearing lots of clothes again after being accustomed to the lack of them over summer.

I suppose winter has its compensations - though I can't think of any at the moment.
i think we're just the same at some point. hot to cold always brings me different emotions and mixed feelings, that's why i like it.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

Minyip, on a beautiful Spring day..."Roll The Windows Down, I see no sign of rain..." The little town was beaming in the bright sunshine, the impressive Club Hotel presiding over the street.

"Home In Time For Twilight", by the Wimmera River again - "I reach across the past and take your hand". At Horsham, the river was flowing freely, recent rains a relief to the locals - people and wildlife. Birds in full song - even mosquitoes - at 10 in the morning! They drifted in through the car window to grab an earful of Lind.

"Beginning with the basics, you sit right down and give a lot of thought to yourself", at Pimpinio. Lind was dispensing tongue-in-cheek instructions from his DIY "How To Get Depressed" manual.

Kiata heard "Valentine From Neil" - canola crops - hereabouts, arguments rage over the benefits or otherwise of GM crops... leave well enough alone, I say..."Just getting over a bad one, baby - finally breaking free: you're the first one who doesn't look like a ball and chain to me..."

"I Fall To You" -"my shield snaps in two" at Pink Lake - and pink it was!

Just before I turned the magic off to answer the phone, "They got women in Toyko, raised from when they're girls to conjure sweet and rare delights to make a man forget this world..." - "It's Too Late (To Let You Go)".

Looking forward to the next phone 'dead spot'...!!!
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

Just back from Maryborough - Castemaine - Horsham - Jeparit - Nhill trip: Had "You Might Have Heard My Footsteps" cd as company...

Lately I've been listening to 'new' and 'newer' Lind stuff, so it was good to revisit some of these classics...

"It's Just My Love", "Drifter's Sunrise", "Unlock The Door", "Elinor", "Go Ask Your Man", "A Nameless Request" and "We've Never Spoken"...what great songs!

Makes up for my poor punting effort on the Melbourne Cup Horse Racing Carnival...maybe take a hint from Lind: "I don't play long shots..." ("Wrong Again".)

My clever son points out to me that I have the ability to make up mp3's on our PC, so I can mix a lotta Lind from different albums, freebies into a comprehensive disc catalogue...save me veering of the road when I eject/insert discs...ha ha!

That's my next venture...
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

Off-topic:
Several years ago I drew the Melbourne Cup winner in an office sweepstakes, and SHOULD have got $90. I never received it.
After waiting some time for money or a cheque to appear on my desk, I asked the receptioniste, who was organising the cash, what happened to my winnings, and was told "All the winners were paid out on the day."

Either someone embezzled it, or there was some kind of misunderstanding. At any rate I never got my money. Rather than make a scene and generate bad blood in the office for the sake of the equivalent of a few hours' pay, I let it ride - but passed on the sweepstakes the following year.

--------------------

On topic:
"It's Just My Love" vies with Butterfly as my favourite Lind track, and of all the songs of Bob's that should have been hits and weren't, this is the one I find hardest to understand, because it did in fact get a certain amount of radio airplay at the time of release.