Travels With Lind...

General discussion & socializing in a Lind-related vein.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

Danny Harris

Travels With Lind...

Post by Danny Harris »

Having purchased "Nitsche Sessions", "Circles" and "Luna Star" and gratefully downloaded Bob's freebie demos, I now load the ol' car 6-stacker and off I go to points North and West in the State of Vic...

Strangely, "Colorado Line" doesn't sound out of place - nor "From The Road" - despite the obvious geographical differences...

...freaky thing is...this is the SAME Bob Lind, whose masterpiece "I Just Let It Take Me" I adopted in '68 (?) as MY song...

As important to me as that song was then (& remains so), so the later/current offerings, now discovered late, are just slayin' me...bloody bliss, mate !

...we both have more miles on the clock, but our motors hum along beautifully - (I suspect that there's been some essential maintenance - and certainly the fuel mix has been varied, after some experimentation...!)

"Shine on, my little galaxy, while I'm gone..."
Last edited by Danny Harris on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

...cruising into Mildura, about 4pm, Wed. 5 March...car tells me that its 41 degrees out there...as I cross the bridge, a free spirit comes towards me , blowing on his harmonica, waving one arm in defiance at the sun...Lind's singing "China"...yep, I think - this bloke's sailing away, alright...good luck & smooth sailing, I say...
Last edited by Danny Harris on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

Car poked it's way through the Mallee dust storm, pushing south of Ouyen...visibility reduced to 10 metres in some places...

...dashboard console lights an eerie purple-green under the red dust blanket...

..in a remote Victorian locality, in wide-open spaces, with tumble-weeds gleefully bouncing across the horizon, I have company all the way...

..."a man is just a loser till his ship comes in, and I'm not one to hang around the shore and sift the sand..."

..."Anymore", sings Lind
Danny Harris

Travels With Lind...

Post by Danny Harris »

"I was reading about the astronauts,
how they were weightless out in space
-like floating bits of dust they soared and swirled:
-when they got back home they had to teach their legs to walk again
-crippled, by the Gravity of the World...

...pulled off the Sunraysia Highway at St. Arnaud, just to blow the froth off one or two coldies and have a flutter on the nags...ran into an old union mate, who had the same idea in mind...we yarned about politics, life, mutual acquaintances (whatever happened to...?)...didn't stay long, what with being a responsible driving citizen and all...

...back in harness, kicked her into gear..c'mon, be like Lind, ol' girl - take me outta here...

...Lind brought me here, Lind can take me home...':D'

"...the lies that keep our trigger fingers curled..."
Maddo

Post by Maddo »

Danny you are spot on... I can picture you drving those country roads with Lind lyrics running thru your brain. Living out in western NSW in '66 I. too. made I JUST LET IT TAKE ME my inspirational theme song.

".....Friday's child goin' where he pleases"
Last edited by Maddo on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

:)

... a mate and I got the leave pass from the wives, so we slipped over the SA border to sample the local beer, watch the footy & urge some well-backed horses home...

...on the way out of Naracoorte, through the morning mist, some alpacas materialise...escaped from a local farmer, stamping their haughty way past our pulled-over car...

..."Upon her tapestries and curtains, I read her future and her past...

'She Can Get Along", Lind advises me...

...Hey Maddo - "Coquettish blooming lilacs float their perfume through the window - teasing me and tempting me to leave my restless limbo..."

"I Just Let It Take Me..."
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

...drove from Mildura to Ballarat, watched my football team get its arse kicked on live tv, then drove to Fishermans Bend, to join the union picket line there...

Pressed the button for "Live at Luna Star", on the Western Highway, 7.30pm...

..how bloody good is "How the Nights Can Fly"...?!

...I reckon its the most intimate Lind rendition that I've heard...even edges past "China" and "We've Never Spoken" for a sense of all the stars being in line, when the tapes rolled...

"...there is something of the Stranger, in the closest of the close..."

"How the Night Can Fly."
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

"She Can Get Along..."

...up goes the volume on this one, approaching Turriff...

"...and what she doesn't keep she spills across your life and let's you keep it when you go..."

...ah, the foible and features of women...!

...its the changes and dangers of love that we fall almost blissfully for...

...every fall, each landing is worth the climb, and the view from the top...
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

...wound up in Tooleybuc, NSW last week, on my way to Mildura again...booked into the motel, walked down to the Club for a meal, a beer and a look around...

...ordered tea, was presented with a "Patron Pager" device, which lit up when my number was called...!

Good grief !

"...I felt the falcon lifting softly off the glove..."

"I Found You" - yeah, Robnumbers...can see why you're hooked...
Susanne Gilmore

Post by Susanne Gilmore »

Danny -
Between your vivid descriptions and the magical Bob Lind soundtrack, this thread has turned into a wonderful travelogue/adventure film in my mind.
Thank you for sharing.
Last edited by Susanne Gilmore on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

Good to hear your words, Susanne...

...I guess that there's a lot of us who, with "modern" music forms, enjoy Lind at work and play...I'm just so lucky that, with my work, I'm on the road most of the time...

...my wife teasingly calls me a "glorified tourist"!

...whether in challenging circumstances, or enjoying a good result, Lind is there with just a click of the switch...

...love your posts, also...as I do all the revelations...

...keep on living the life, Susanne...':)'
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

Susanne Gilmore wrote:Danny -
Between your vivid descriptions and the magical Bob Lind soundtrack, this thread has turned into a wonderful travelogue/adventure film in my mind.
Thank you for sharing.
It's all a cunning plot to try and entice Bob to visit Oz and playfor us.
Last edited by bob_32_116 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

Damn...!

The secret's out...!

Hey Rob, Maddo, etc...how bloody good will that be !?

...some of us would gladly surrender our first born for tickets (joke!)

...Bob: the Antipodes beckon...
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

...(I meant Bob,not Rob, of course...)
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

...the rain began to fall in Mildura mid-morning yesterday, and culminated in a beauty of a thunder-storm 'round about 1.00pm...

...didn't rain too long, but a welcome short, heavy load of water dropped in the Sunraysia capital...

...on the way down the road, was thinking "What if Lind DID tour Downunder? Where would he play, in Melbourne - probably Hamer Hall", I mused...

...a good day, a peaceful day - looks like we sorted the Council Home Care union members' problems in Mildura...

...then "Waterfall Waltz" wafted from the car CD player...

...ah, so pretty, - the smile spread across my face, the car understood - the miles were gobbled up in no time

"Home In Time For Twilight..."':)'