Nets of Wonder (Circa '66)

Share favorite lyrics, swap guitar tabs and talk about the songs.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

DavenOz

Re: Nets of Wonder (Circa '66)

Post by DavenOz »

Hi Danny,

Oh how the memory fades! Coming back here I'd been on a little search for notable songs of the 60s that I'd forgotten about (unlike Elusive Butterfly). You mentioned Concrete and Clay and it didn't register. Then I went to a lyrics site, saw the words and the melody came back...brain not so atrophied after all! Haha, my memory made it sound like Ben E. King is singing backup vocals.

I noticed Bob has published his novel - interesting. Readers here might have noticed the 'Buzz About The Novel' thread. I thought it might be a kind of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance for the 21st c...mmm.

Let's see, Tar and Cement and Concrete and Clay are the basic materials used to 'take paradise and put up a parking lot'. There was a definite environmental consciousness around at the time. Typical of musicians and poets to be in on early warnings about trouble ahead, as in eve's of destruction.

Cheers,
Dave.
Last edited by DavenOz on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

DavenOz wrote:Hi Danny,

Oh how the memory fades! Coming back here I'd been on a little search for notable songs of the 60s that I'd forgotten about (unlike Elusive Butterfly).

Cheers,
Dave.
Hey DavenOz:-

Don't forget "Deadman's Curve" (Jan and Dean), "Security" (Thane Russal and Three), - and if you want some obscure li'l tunes - "Little Girl Lost And Found" (Garden Club), "Dance At St.Francis" (Barracuda), "Bad Day At Black Rock, Baby" (The Colours), etc...
Last edited by Danny Harris on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some may call it wander-lust, some may call it crazy.
I don't call it anything - I Just Let It Take Me."
DavenOz

Post by DavenOz »

Hi Bob and all the Bob Lind fans,

I'm here in Ozland a couple of hours after midnight, so I'm in a bit of a time warp since I'm writing to you from 2011.

Seems to be a nice moment to write about the timeless aspect of certain songs. When a song has the the lyrics 'across my dreams in nets of wonder', it conveys a kind of 'captured in time' theme, so no surprise that the song itself becomes something of a timeless gem.

While I'm here I want to say that I just looked at the clip of Bob singing Wearing You in 2006 (on the 'tour dates' page), and I must say that you still have it in the lyrics department Bob. I also checked on whether you'll be in Australia in the near future, but you seem to be avoiding us :-)

The reason I thought about this site once again was that I discovered another timeless song from '66, which for some reason I didn't include on my list at the start of the thread. That song is the Lovin' Spoonful's 'Daydream'. It reached #2 on the charts, so it was a definite oversight.

The song has the words 'I'm lost in a daydream, dreaming 'bout my bundle of joy', so it's a pretty good companion song to Elusive Butterfly. I found 'Daydream' on a cd yesterday and now it's part of my growing collection of 60s songs. I do believe I only got really serious about collecting as many songs as possible after chats here with Bob and Bob, and Danny and company. It's quite something to come across a new one (so to speak).

Continuing the time warp note - from me here in 2011, to you, my friends in the good ol' USofA back there in 2010, Happy New Year!

Cheers,
Dave.
Last edited by DavenOz on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

I tell anyone who will listen that 1966 was a kind of "Annus Mirabilis" in popular music, and not solely on account of Elusive Butterfly. It was also the year of Revolver, Pet Sounds, and Sunshine Superman. Case closed.
Last edited by bob_32_116 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grant
Admonkeystrator

Post by grant »

Jefferson Airplane Takes Off

And more importantly, Captain Beefheart signs to A&M.
Last edited by grant on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

Aye.

'66 was tops. My favourite year, I reckon - and not just because of that song about the butterfly that gets played all the time...

"65 through '68 probably my fave music era...
"Some may call it wander-lust, some may call it crazy.
I don't call it anything - I Just Let It Take Me."