Documentary Preview

Share favorite lyrics, swap guitar tabs and talk about the songs.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

Jill

Documentary Preview

Post by Jill »

Some of you are already aware that Bob is the subject of a soon-to-be-released documentary by award-winning filmmakers Paul Surratt and Ian Marshall. If you'd like an advance look at some of the performances that will be featured in the film, check out these links.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sNyd4UJLZ4o

http://youtube.com/watch?v=v-zLuBGrU-E

http://youtube.com/watch?v=h-pnfFtB0EA

Two of the songs feature Bob with a kick-ass band comprised of:
*The incomparable Jamie Hoover on lead guitar. Jamie's the driving force behind the great indie group The Spongetones. He's a fantastic singer-songwriter in his own right.
*Kevin Jarvis on drums and David Carpenter on bass, two incredible journeymen studio guys who Bob kidnapped temporarily away from Jill Sobule's band.
*And, the baby of the group, as musical director and keyboard player, the brilliant young Matt Cook. Matt, too, is a tremendous singer-songwriter. Bob wants it known that, in case there are any agents from the child-labor board snooping around, Matt IS over 21 and is working legally. He's astonishingly talented for his tender age.
Last edited by Jill on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeffbenton

Post by jeffbenton »

Thanks, Jill, Matt, et al. for this wunderbar effort! You da best!
(Well, Bob's ok, too!)

NW Florida Summer's Child
Last edited by jeffbenton on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grant
Admonkeystrator

Post by grant »

It's good to see these.

More, please.
Last edited by grant on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeffbenton

Post by jeffbenton »

Really appreciate the instrumental backing on "Cheryl's Going Home" and "Spilling Over."

Hey, this guy Lind can rock! Thanks.
Last edited by jeffbenton on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamie

jamming With Lind!

Post by jamie »

Just a note to say I am tickled pink to have been a part of this really cool project of Bob's! It was an honor and something I'll look back on with great pride for the rest of my life. All the players were great guys and top-shelf musicians. Ian and Paul-and all their crew were totally professional and great guys to boot.

It's projects like this that make being a musician such a joy. It is also music of the quality that Bob writes that makes it all possible. He is an excellent guitarist to play along with (which is not always an easy feat) and one of the best singers on the planet-I strongly believe.

It was also a real treat to get to watch Bob play by himself at the end on this particular show. He's amazing!

What a thrill!

Jamie Hoover
Last edited by jamie on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rob68

buyable?

Post by rob68 »

Will the DVD be released soon.....either in stores or here on the website? Looking forward to seeing the entire documentary. I've watched a couple really good ones lately....one on Townes Van Zandt and one on Gram Parsons.
Last edited by rob68 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
....I went to the river and I stood on the shore. I stood in the twilight of the life I had before....
Windboy

Post by Windboy »

I'd like to be the first to place my order for 5 copies. Where do I send the money for the DVD? Ed
Last edited by Windboy on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rob68

compile awhile

Post by rob68 »

Windboy wrote:I'd like to be the first to place my order for 5 copies. Where do I send the money for the DVD? Ed
I found out that it's still being compiled, so it may be awhile yet.
....I went to the river and I stood on the shore. I stood in the twilight of the life I had before....
bill

Post by bill »

Was just taking another look at the DVD previews ....the "Spilling Over" performance is excellent !!! In addition to Bob's emotiional vocals the players are totally in sync with the overall performance. There is most certainly a sense from Bob at the end that he and the band "got it." Got it they did and for those of who go way back with Bob how wonderful to see him backed by a band. Something I never thought I would ever see.

I was very fortunate to be one of those on the LA soundstage as these performances were being captured on film. What an experience for me having been a fan for for some 40 years to be there to witness this event.

I will also just "give it up" to say Matt, musical director and keyboards, is my son.....it dosen't get much better than that !! As I would have said back in the day ...."what a trip."

Bill
Last edited by bill on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
royb404

I want this DVD!!!!

Post by royb404 »

"Cheryl's Going Home" is without a doubt a lost classic.
Have any of you heard the "Blues Project" cover of that tune?? I am lucky enough to have the album.
The best cover-in my opinion of that song EVER.
OK I also hate to admit this but Cher's cover of "Counting" is good also.
It was Sonny's idea for her to do that.
"Counting is my personal fave Bob song ever.
Roy in Dallas

PS Bob when you read this post, when you have time, please post what you think are the best covers of your songs.
Last edited by royb404 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rob68

Re: I want this DVD!!!!

Post by rob68 »

royb404 wrote: OK I also hate to admit this but Cher's cover of "Counting" is good also.
Roy in Dallas
Cher has never covered "Counting". Marianne Faithfull did a version. Cher covered "Elusive Butterfly" and "Come To Your Window", and Sonny & Cher did "Cheryl's Going Home" with vocals by Sonny alone.....unfortunately. :)
royb404

Re: I want this DVD!!!!

Post by royb404 »

You are very right. I just had an old age moment.
I at least was able to find my Blues Project album.

rob68 wrote:
royb404 wrote: OK I also hate to admit this but Cher's cover of "Counting" is good also.
Roy in Dallas
Cher has never covered "Counting". Marianne Faithfull did a version. Cher covered "Elusive Butterfly" and "Come To Your Window", and Sonny & Cher did "Cheryl's Going Home" with vocals by Sonny alone.....unfortunately. :)
Last edited by royb404 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

...John Otway's version of "Cheryl's Going Home" is a LITTLE different...
Last edited by Danny Harris on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny Harris

Re: Documentary Preview

Post by Danny Harris »

Got my copy - love it! Soon, I hope, SBS TV in Australia will pick up it - it's the sort of out-of-the-ordinary gear they screen.
"Some may call it wander-lust, some may call it crazy.
I don't call it anything - I Just Let It Take Me."