Truly Julie, interpreted

Share favorite lyrics, swap guitar tabs and talk about the songs.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

grant
Admonkeystrator

Truly Julie, interpreted

Post by grant »

Oh, my:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0kI2XP7iI8

It's like interpretive dance, only done while sitting at a desk.
Last edited by grant on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

Gee, Bob looks different - must be all that Xmas good cheer...(?!)
Last edited by Danny Harris on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

Wow, there's hidden talent out there! Look out Betty Boo! Roll over Milli Vanilli!

A truly corny performance, but one must forgive him - anything that brings Bob's songs to a wider audience is to be condoned.
Last edited by bob_32_116 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeffbenton

Post by jeffbenton »

DG,

This may be the first of a barrage of suggestions for other songs you may not have heard before!

Go to Bob's Playlist page and select "Long Time Woman," Spilling Over," and "A New Year's Carol."

Please let me know what you think!

NW Florida Summer's Child
Last edited by jeffbenton on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UserDeletedByRequest

Post by UserDeletedByRequest »

Jeff, I have been going through them all. I lost track of Bob Lind after "Elusive Butterfly" only to have now rediscovered him. I was delighted to say the least. I have a lot of catching up to discover what he was and is doing now, since my disappearing act. I'll post a topic soon of how it all began - but a hint is...I found a internet message from him to me. I might frame it LOL.
Last edited by UserDeletedByRequest on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colwyn

Post by Colwyn »

Hello, guys. Long time reader of the boards, first time poster.

The guy sitting in the chair lip-syncing 'Truly Julie's Blues' is me. First of all, thank you for the comments posted and for linking this to the forums.

I first heard this song one night a couple of years ago while listening to an online oldies radio station. Actually, truth be told, I had nodded off in said chair. I woke up hearing the words to the second verse of the song. I'd only heard 'Elusive Butterfly' as far as Bob's other songs go, but I'd liked it and I immediately recognized his voice when I heard him singing 'Truly Julie's Blues'. A couple of days later, I requested the song on the same online station and listened to it entirely, and I fell in love with it.

First of all, 'Truly Julie's Blues' is very beautiful in terms of the music arrangement as well as the lyrics. Second of all, it hit home with me because Julie was the name of my very first girlfriend and we became a couple at a time when both of us were going through rough times together. Sadly, our relationship didn't work out, but we are still great friends to this day.

I wanted a way to be able to share this song with her as well as my friends. If there were a karaoke version of 'Truly Julie's Blues' like 'Elusive Butterfly', I would have sang it instead of lip-syncing it.

Let me say, though, that I did this vid with no disrespect in my heart to Bob or his work. If I have done so, please let me know and I will take it down. It's a pleasure to finally get to meet all of you and I hope you enjoyed my 'Bob Lind' moment.

Colwyn
Last edited by Colwyn on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

I'm not picking up any disrespect at all, Colwyn.
Welcome to the board. Good to have you with us.
I always like to let newcomers know that I have lots of new songs too (check out the Playlist section of this site and the CD reviews).
Stay close to the forum.
All the best
Last edited by Lind on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UserDeletedByRequest

Post by UserDeletedByRequest »

Colwyn,
I think this just proves that Bob Lind's songs dont have a generation gap. He songs can be enjoyed by any age. "Truly Julie's Blues" is beautiful. Just amazing words. And for you to go to the trouble to get the radio to replay it - and then record it for Youtube ... what can I say but.... you have great taste :D
Last edited by UserDeletedByRequest on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grant
Admonkeystrator

Post by grant »

This is also why I love the internet.
Last edited by grant on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

:oops:
Last edited by Danny Harris on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

':o'

...there's a song by Brett Dennen(?) that my 20 year old son plays which sounds SO like TJB...

...but then, there is also "Queen Jane Approximately"...

...was it Irving Berlin, who said that "there are only so many chords and notes - its the sequence that's difference"..?
jeffbenton

Truly Julie, interpreted

Post by jeffbenton »

And now, how about the REAL THING...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YD0IyCl9QE

I still cry when I hear this one...
Last edited by jeffbenton on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
West Florida Summer's Child

"...maybe Bethlehem is you and me..."
bob_32_116

4 chords say it all - or do they?

Post by bob_32_116 »

Danny Harris wrote:'
...was it Irving Berlin, who said that "there are only so many chords and notes - its the sequence that's difference"..?
Funny you should say that - someone on another music forum that I belong to posted this link to this hilarious video clip:
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=qHBVnMf2t7w
I think they might have been trying to get across the message of just how similar many pop songs are... but what it said to me was that the chords are only a small part of the story. For example the original version of "Down Under" is such a rollicking good song with that reggae rhythm (and of course the lyrics), that when I listen to it I hardly notice that it's based almost completely on just TWO chords, not four.
Last edited by bob_32_116 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maddo

Re: Truly Julie, interpreted

Post by Maddo »

Not a bad bit of production. Good on 'em !
Last edited by Maddo on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny Harris

Re: Truly Julie, interpreted

Post by Danny Harris »

bob_32_116 wrote:
Danny Harris wrote:'
the original version of "Down Under" is such a rollicking good song with that reggae rhythm (and of course the lyrics), that when I listen to it I hardly notice that it's based almost completely on just TWO chords, not four.
...not forgetting, of course - "...A7th and D..."
"Some may call it wander-lust, some may call it crazy.
I don't call it anything - I Just Let It Take Me."