Bob at Hugh's Room

General discussion & socializing in a Lind-related vein.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

Donald

Bob at Hugh's Room

Post by Donald »

Hi Bob.

I am delighted to know that you are coming to Toronto. I have already reserved seats for myself, wife and kids. We are all very excited at the prospect and look forward to possibly meeting you at Hugh's Room.

Thanks for looking after your Canadian fans.

All the best,
Donald
Last edited by Donald on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

Hey Donald, Thanks for the welcome. Looking forward to Canada and to meeting you and your family. Always a joy to bridge the generation gap.
Last edited by Lind on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donald

Post by Donald »

Hi again Bob

As we get more and more excited about your upcoming appearance, we have been listening to your demos. Gorgeous music with penetrating and thought provoking lyrics. You are talent, indeed, to be able to create these songs at home.

Will you be playing any of these at Hugh's Room, or should we just wait to be surprised?

Best regards,
Donald
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

You should wait and be surprised.
Still thrilled that you and your family are coming up for the show. (Hope your kids aren't toddlers).
See you on Sunday.
Last edited by Lind on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donald

Bob at Hugh's Room

Post by Donald »

Thank you for the reply.

We wait.

My boys are young teenagers so have no concerns. It is possible that they will be as blown away as I was when I first heard your songs.

Do you know if cameras are allowed, and if so, do you object to having your picture taken?

Come to think of, I'll find out on Sunday.

Donald
Terry Smith

Post by Terry Smith »

My wife and I also had the pleasure of seeing Bob at Hugh’s Room in Toronto on Sunday night and I thought you might like to get yet another person’s perspective.

(First, a quick sidebar: If you ever get a chance to go to Toronto, visit Hugh’s Room. It a great venue, serves a nice dinner – if you want it - and the staff, headed by Todd, the club manager, is terrific. It’s warm, friendly, and personal. They also did an unbelievable job of promoting Bob’s visit.)

I’ll break this down into three parts: fan reaction, music and personal:

Fan reaction: Bob mentioned at one point between songs that he didn’t consider himself a “star”. You could have fooled the audience. Perhaps if you go by pure quantity of fans I might buy it. However, if you go by level of enthusiasm for him and his music (let’s call it quality), he’s off by a wide, wide margin. Every person I heard couldn’t have been more “juiced” about seeing and hearing him. Three encores, by my count, is a pretty good indication of how everyone felt.

I’m not going to spend a lot of time on the music part… not because it wasn’t good, (actually it wasn’t, it was great), but because anyone who’s on this site knows Bob’s music and doesn’t have to be convinced. My guess is the ratio of new to old was about 60/40 or 70/30, which was fine. It’s all great stuff. Bob’s voice is a mystery to me. He sounds as good today (perhaps a little “fuller”) as he did forty years ago. A couple of unexpected highlights: Bob has talked, on this site, about his version of Tom Paxton’s Bottle of Wine. It was very different and, knowing Bob’s background a little, much more melancholy and personal than any other version I’ve heard. The other song that was a wonderful surprise was If I Loved You (yup, the one from Carousel), which was really bluesy and out of context for Bob. I tend to think of Bob as a singer/songwriter, not necessarily as a “guitarist”. My mistake. He did a terrific job with it. Bob’s last encore was How the Nights Can Fly and, given the audience reaction, you have to wonder why this song has never gotten much more attention.

On a personal note it gets more difficult to share. I suspect that most of us who visit this site have never met Bob and think of him on a very different level. His music hits such a personal chord, but in a way that we don’t have the talent to express. Consequently, we elevate our perception of him to an almost (sorry, if this is leaning too far towards hyperbole) mythical level. This is probably most accurate for those of us who have listened to his music for forty-plus years. When we made our plans to go to Toronto I had a weird sort of apprehension about finally seeing and, perhaps, meeting Bob. It was more than just a little bit of awe as well as, truthfully, a little bit of concern. (At one pre-concert point I confided to my wife, “Jeez, what if he’s a jerk?”)

Well, he’s not. Bob Lind was one of the nicest people I’ve ever had the pleasure of meeting. After the show he stayed and talked to whoever wanted to visit with him. I spent far more than my share of time with him (and would have spent significantly more if I hadn’t felt embarrassingly guilty about monopolizing him). What was particularly notable to me was his level of appreciation for my/our support. He spent as much time thanking me as I did thanking him. He was generous and warm and seemed truly grateful.

Too often we’re let down by expectations we set too high. Not for me. Not this time.

Thanks again, Bob.

T