Butterfly of Love

Share favorite lyrics, swap guitar tabs and talk about the songs.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

troubadour

Butterfly of Love

Post by troubadour »

Hi Bob, I think it is great that your still at it with the song writing, fantastic is a better word for it. I`ve always loved your music. And boy, some of your old songs still bring back good memories from the 60`s and 70`s. It`s hard to find a good song writer who can put their heart into a song like you always have. I`ve always loved your song Butterfly of Love, it`s a song that is timeless and has no end.
I`ve been getting together with some friends of mine and jamming on some of the oldies, and one of them asked me if I remembered that song, I told them only the words. They asked me if I could find the tabs for it, I told them it wouldn`t be easy, and it hasn`t been. Then I found your site the other day and thought, why not ask the man himself, so here I am. If you would rather not, no problem, I think it`s great just being able to chat a little with you. Anyway, the best of luck to you with your new songs, and keep them coming.
Last edited by troubadour on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rob68

Post by rob68 »

Just google 'Elusive Butterfly tabs'.....here's one result...

http://www.tabcountry.com/song3675/Bob- ... ly-Of-Love
Last edited by rob68 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
....I went to the river and I stood on the shore. I stood in the twilight of the life I had before....
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

Thanks Rob. I can always count on you. I never have time to provide chords and lyrics. So it's good that there's you and the Web.

Welcome to the board, Troubadour. Thanks for the kind words. I hope you're aware of the new songs and the new releases. Check out the "Reviews" section of this site to read about the live album.

There's one mistake I see nine times out of ten when they post these "Butterfly" chords. (This link Rob so generously provided is no exception): The first chord is a major 7th, not a major.
The chords will work as posted, but play a D major 7th there and see if you don't feel a shift in your heart.

All the best,
Bob
Last edited by Lind on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
troubadour

Post by troubadour »

Thanks Rob and Bob, the guys that I jam with will love this, they all love this song. And your right Bob, that major 7th really gives the song it`s heart, a beautiful piece of work, thanks again.
Last edited by troubadour on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dennis Ferreira

More Accurate Chords for ELUSIVE BUTTERFLY

Post by Dennis Ferreira »

KEY OF EbMajor 7

Intro: EbMaj7 Fmin7 Twice (If a CAPO is used at the 3rd fret then EbMaj7 will seem like playing Cmaj7 with open E string)

EbMaj7 Fmin7
You might wake up some mornin',
Bb Fmin7 Ebmaj7
To the sound of something moving past your window in the wind.
Fmin7 Bb
And if you're quick enough to rise,
Fmin7 Bb EbMaj7
You'll catch a fleeting glimpse of someone's fading shadow.

CHORUS:
Fmin7 Bb EbMaj7 Cmin7
Don't be concerned, it will not harm you.
Fmin7 Bb Ebmaj7 Cmin7
It's only me persuing something I'm not sure of.
Fmin7 Bb Ebmaj7 Cmin7
Across my dreams with nets of wonder,
Fmin7 Bb Ebmaj7
I chase the bright, elusive butterfly of love.

Use the Chorus chords for the string solo

Two guitars were probably used

Ebmaj7
Both guitars play common shape with the E string stopped at the 3rd fret (Capos on the 3rd fret were probaby used
on the studio recording)

Fmin7
One guitar plays(up) Ab Eb C F C and the other plays down the fret board C Ab Eb C F C

Bb
One guitar plays(up) with the E string stopped at the first fret and the other plays down the fret board
with the E string stopped at the 6th fret

Cmin7
Both guitars play common shape with the E string stopped at the 3rd fret (Capos on the 3rd fret were probaby used
on the studio recording)
Last edited by Dennis Ferreira on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

Wow Dennis, you come right out of the blocks like Jesse Owens don't you?
Welcome to the board. I don't think I could have provided a better chart myself. In fact, you've got subtleties of notation here I would never have found. Thanks so much for your contribution. My sense is that you'll probably be getting some gratitude emails and private messages from other members who appreciate the time it took to work this out and to post it for those who lack the patience or even the capacity to annotate the song in such detail. (I'm included in those patience-lackers.)
As I mentioned above, lots of people miss that Major 7th on the tonic -- I see it in most published books as a bland generic major.
And indeed, I do capo up to the third fret and play the Cmajor7 position.
One gold star.

I'll tell you what I tell all the newbees: I hope you're aware of my newer songs too -- the live album, the demos on the Playlist Page and the video clips in the Press Kit on the welcome page.
Stay close to the forum, Dennis. Good to have you with us.
Last edited by Lind on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dennis Ferreira

Thanks for the compliments

Bob,
Thanks for the compliments. What is the online site where I could purchase your entire collection ONLINE including your latest tracks. It probably will be multiple albums.

The reason I had this detail on the arrangement is I am analyzing the song preparing to sing ELUSIVE BUTTERFLY as a guest artist with a band I played with during my troubled and difficult youth in my birthplace Sri Lanka. Didn't we all have personal battles those sixties days!! But the music was great and helped us tide over the turmoil of those times. ELUSIVE BUTTERFLY was landmark song for a whole generation. I remember getting as close to the small Philipps radio(we did not have TV in Sri Lanka at that time) to try and figure out the chords.

Let me know the online site where I can purchase your collection and when I reach Sri Lanka i will make the local stations aware of your latest music.

Regards
Dennis
Last edited by Dennis Ferreira on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dennis Ferreira

Correction to ELSUIVE BUTTERFLY Intro

Intro: EbMaj7 Fmin ( First guitar more prominent and plays straight Fmin instead of the minor seventh)
EbMaj7 Fmin7 ( Second guitar joins on the second half of the intro and is more prominent playing down the fret board as described in my earlier email with the chords)

(If a CAPO is used at the 3rd fret then EbMaj7 will seem like playing Cmaj7 with open E string)
Dennis Ferreira

The improved Chord Sequence for ELUSIVE BUTTERFLY

Folks,
After further listening, here are the guitar arrangements for both guitars.
I have made it easier, placing the chords against the words. All the detail notes of each chord are spelled out.

ELUSIVE BUTTERFLY (KEY of Ebmaj7)

Two guitars were used. The strumming pattern of both guitars are different. The guitar playing up the fret board is simpler
but the strumming rhythm of the guitar playing down the fret board is very important. You can hear it clearly on the
second half of the intro. This strumming rhythm of the second guitar is essential to the song.

Intro: First half(One guitar) First Guitar Only : EbMaj7(E string at 3rd fret) Fmin (E string at 4th fret)
Second half (Both guitars) First guitar plays EbMaj7(E string at 3rd fret) Fmin7 (at 4th fret) Ab Eb C F C
Second guitar : Ebmaj7(E string at 6th fret notes are Bb G D Bb Eb Bb)
Fmin7 (E string at 8th fret C Ab Eb C F C)

VERSE

(EbMaj7)You might wake up some mor(Fmin7) - nin,

To the sound(Bb) of something mo(Fmin7) - ving past your win(Ebmaj7) - dow in the wind.

And if you're quick(Fmin7) enough to rise(Bb),

You'll catch a fleet(Fmin7) - ing glimpse of some(Bb) - one's fading shad(Ebmaj7) - ow.

CHORUS: (THE CHORD CHANGES ON EVERY BAR)

Don't be con - cerned(Fmin7), Bb , it will not harm(Ebmaj7) you, Cmin7

It's only me(Fmin7) pursuing some(Bb) - thing I'm not sure(Ebmaj7) of, Cmin7

Across my dreams(Fmin7), Bb , with nets of won(Ebmaj7) - der, Cmin7

I chase the bright(Fmin7), elusive butt(Bb) - erfly of love(Ebmaj7).

STRING SOLO:
Use the Chorus chords

Ebmaj7
One guitar plays with the E string stopped at the 3rd fret while the other down the fret board at the 6th
fret(see intro above for notes) (A Capo on the 3rd fret was probaby used)

Fmin7
EITHER both guitars play F minor 7th One guitar plays(at 4th fret) and the other plays
down the fret board at 8th fret (see intro for notes)
OR
One guitar plays straight Fmin (at 4th fret) Ab F C F C and the other plays Fmin7 down the fret board
at the 8th fret(see intro for notes)

Bb
One guitar plays(up) with the E string stopped at the first fret and the other plays down the fret board
with the E string stopped at the 6th fret.
It may be that the first guitar plays Bb7 up the fret board and the other guitar plays straight Bb down at the 6th fret.

Cmin7
One guitar plays with the E string stopped at the 3rd fret with notes G Eb Bb G C G while the second guitar
plays down at the 8th fret with notes C G Eb Bb G C
Dennis Ferreira

ELUSIVE BUTTERFLY chords

Folks,
If anybody needs the chords to be transposed to another key such as Dmaj7 let me know.

Cheers!