Bluegrass Version of Elusive Butterfly

General discussion & socializing in a Lind-related vein.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

Bassman49_50

Bluegrass Version of Elusive Butterfly

Post by Bassman49_50 »

I'm the bass player for the Tar River Boys, an Eastern North Carolina Bluegrass band. We are always looking for music of varying formats and playing them in a Bluegrass style.

I was in a McDonalds a week ago and heard Elusive Butterfly for the first time in years. (I'm 57 so I remember it back in the 60s). At any rate I thought "that really has potential for being performed as a good Bluegrass song." In checking the net I find only one recording that comes close to a Bluegrass version. It is by a group called Rivers Edge - but it is really more a Country version.

Has anyone recorded a true Bluegrass version of Elusive Butterfy?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me and thanks for the great music.

Willie Nelms
Last edited by Bassman49_50 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

Hey Bassman, welcome to the board. Nice to have you with us.
This is a terrific idea. I'd love to hear someone do it. To my knowledge, there's never been an actual downright hardcore Dillards/Bill Monroe-esque bluegrass cut of "Butterfly." But I'm sure there are people here on the board who can set me straight about it if there is.
I know Billy Walker and Dolly Parton do sort of country versions. I've never heard the River's Edge rendition.
Keep me posted and watch this thread because there are many ardent fans here who know far more about specific Lind covers than I do.
Meanwhile, if you and the Tar River Boys have the vision, dive right on in.