After England (from Bob's manager Jill)

General discussion & socializing in a Lind-related vein.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

Jill

After England (from Bob's manager Jill)

Post by Jill »

So many of you have been writing to ask about the UK tour. Bob has asked me to answer here on the board, now that we're finally beginning to ease out of our jet lag and climb off the fuzzy warm cloud we've been on over the past two weeks.
England was even more fantastic than we thought it would be -- and that's saying something because we knew it was going to be beautiful. Everyone we met over there made it feel like a good dream.
I can't say enough great stuff about ACE Records. As some of you know, they're the ones who, set up the London leg of the tour. They booked the promo shows and print interviews. Neil Scaplehorn, ACE's publicity director, was particularly amazing. He not only got Bob where he needed to go for every radio show and magazine interview, he also showed us where the best Indian restaurants in London are. Neil, along with Tony Rounce and Mick Patrick are real rarities: record executives who actually love music and records. Couldn't ask for a more professional bunch of people -- all of them committed to the success of the new re-release: BOB LIND "ELUSIVE BUTTERFLY" The Complete Jack Nitzsche Sessions.
As for the shows:
Thanks to Martin Roberts, John Duncan and other loyal British message board members, a lot of news has already been posted about the Luminaire gig. Bob wants everyone who took the time to post to know he's grateful. Some reviews of the concert will be coming out soon, and grant will post them when they do.
We couldn't have asked for a warmer, more welcoming audience. Bob did an amazing show -- three genuine encores. They would not let him off the stage.
And it was such a joy for him to finally meet Jarvis Cocker from Pulp and Sean O'Hagen of the High Lamas, who have been unselfishly keeping his name alive over there for years, constantly quoting his influence on their music in interviews. They came to the show and were blown away by seeing that Bob has still got the stuff. Sean told me, "I love Bob's old songs but the new ones absolutely tower over the old ones." Romeo Stoddard from The Magic Numbers was there too. And we're told there were several other movers and shakers on the British music scene who came and loved the show.
And of course, there's no way to express the thrill it was to not only meet the amazing Richard Hawley, but to see him jamming with Bob onstage. It was such a priceless moment. Afterward, Bob told me how much it meant to him that Richard had made the long drive down from his home in Sheffield. They played some of the songs that Richard says helped form his musical style "Cheryl's Goin' Home," "Truly Julie's Blues" and of course, "Elusive Butterfly." No one who heard them would have believed they'd had no more than 10 minutes of rehearsal (a testimony to Richard's astonishing guitar playing).
As many of you know, Richard is a mega-star in Europe. Bob said that if it had been a matter of money, there's no way he could have afforded him. "I'd have had to refinance my home if I were to pay him what he'd ordinarily get to show up and play," he said. But Richard never asked for a dime (or Shilling as it were). It was a labor of love for him. And not a trace of celebrity ego. At the sound check, Bob asked him if he'd like to do a couple of his own songs and he said, "No, man. This is about you, not me." And as Bob was thanking him afterward, he told Bob: "Believe me, what I did for you tonight is nothing compared to what you did for me letting me perform with you."
How many rock stars do you know who would have the humility to say that?
Two nights later, Jarvis invited us to his Meltdown Festival at the Albert Hall. He got us plum seats (practically on the stage) and he treated Bob like royalty at the backstage party. It's an experience we'll never forget.
Exeter was great too. A quality venue. Bob says it has one of the most fantastic sound systems he's ever sung and played into. Every word was clear and crisp.
Half the audience came back after Bob's encore to meet him and express their delight in being at the show.
We want to express our gratitude to Jaimie Fennell-- a long time fan and contributor to this message board, for helping me find this great club and introducing me to Patrick Cunningham who booked the gig.
We're glad to be back but it was a great experience.
We want to thank all the people who posted while we were gone. Bob will be doing his best to respond, where appropriate, a little at a time over the coming weeks.
Last edited by Jill on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel H

Post by Daniel H »

Thank you Jill! The trip was obviously a fantastic sucess. Can hardly wait to hear more about it and see more pictures. Glad you made it back in one piece also. Rest up and recover from your jet lag. Welcome home.
Last edited by Daniel H on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You'll catch a fleeting glimpse of someone's fading shadow...
Nicholas Campbell

Sean told me, "I love Bob's old songs but the new ones.

Post by Nicholas Campbell »

Thanks for recapping the trip to London and all. Bob mentioned that a description of the trip was at the message boards and we thank you for that; but we have to disagree with Sean about Bob's new songs "towering above the old ones." We love all of Bob's songs but the new songs as as good as anything he has ever done, but not better, but not less either, and that is saying a lot really. Bob knows we love him. We have been fans of his songs since the 60s and first saw him sing at the Pasadena Ice House in 1967, then he started singing at the Glendale Ice House and we prefered it to the Pasadena Ice House, though the Glendale was the second of Bob Stane's two clubs. There was just something about the Glendale Ice House, and there was Bob. Later, the place closed and Bob went back to the Pasadena Ice House and we saw him perform there until it changed hands and even after, for Bob Stane had a closed party there in 1984 and in 1985. We were at the second party and Bob was there, too, and so was Mason Williams and a lot of other folk singers, among them Bud Dashiell. We always liked Bud and he is sorely missed.

We're glad everything worked out so beautifully in England and happy that so many love Bob Lind's music over there but we are not surprised. Thanks to Sean for his enthusiasm.

Peace Out,

Nick Campbell