Elusive Butterfly.....at last

General discussion & socializing in a Lind-related vein.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

Michael Bayliss

Elusive Butterfly.....at last

Post by Michael Bayliss »

Hi there Bob,
Michael Bayliss from Sydney, Australia. Just to let you know That I have ordered your new copy of EB, from England. I have been waiting for this for years. I thought I might die before I finally get a copy, but gladly I won't now. :D Once I receive your new release I will have finally collected my three favourite songs of all time. Elusive Butterfly, MacAthur Park and Frozen Orange Juice. all from the sixties.
So in four words, Thank you very much.
You have made me very happy man.
Michael.
Last edited by Michael Bayliss on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

Hey Michael, Thank YOU very much.
Welcome to the board. Thanks for the post and for the kind words. I'm in pretty good company there with Jimmy Webb.
Glad you're getting the ACE re-release. They've done a fantastic job and they're great people to work with (something that can't be said for a lot of record companies).
I hope you're aware that I recently released a new live CD. It has "Elusive Butterfly" on it too -- an in-person version. You can read reviews elsewhere on this site and if the mood strikes, you can order it from the merchandise page.

Stay close to the forum here. It's good to have you with us.
Last edited by Lind on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bob_32_116

Re: Elusive Butterfly.....at last

Post by bob_32_116 »

Michael Bayliss wrote:Hi there Bob,
Michael Bayliss from Sydney, Australia. Just to let you know That I have ordered your new copy of EB, from England. I have been waiting for this for years. I thought I might die before I finally get a copy, but gladly I won't now. :D Once I receive your new release I will have finally collected my three favourite songs of all time. Elusive Butterfly, MacAthur Park and Frozen Orange Juice. all from the sixties.

So in four words, Thank you very much.
You have made me very happy man.
Michael.
How interesting.Macarthur Park is also in my top 5 of all time. And it so happens that I purchased 2 CD's at the same time from CDNow. One was Bob's Footsteps album, the other was a compilation of the two Richard Harris/Jim Webb albums. Best $70 I ever spent.

And FOJ is also the best song Peter Sarstedt did... though Where Do You Go To wasn't half bad.

There is good and bad music in every era, but I don't think there has ever been a period to match the late sixties in terms of sheer songwriting brilliance and creativity. And I am not speaking of Yummy Yummy Yummy.
Last edited by bob_32_116 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

Lind wrote:Hey Michael, Thank YOU very much.
Welcome to the board. Thanks for the post and for the kind words. I'm in pretty good company there with Jimmy Webb.
Glad you're getting the ACE re-release. They've done a fantastic job and they're great people to work with (something that can't be said for a lot of record companies).
I hope you're aware that I recently released a new live CD. It has "Elusive Butterfly" on it too -- an in-person version. You can read reviews elsewhere on this site and if the mood strikes, you can order it from the merchandise page.

Stay close to the forum here. It's good to have you with us.
I assume Bob is speaking of the Live at the Luna Star album.
I can personally recommend it as a live album for people who don't like live albums. I am not a fan of live, I buy a record to hear music, not to hear people clapping, whistling and stamping their feet. The Luna Star album, however, is an entertaining listen for Bob's between-song banter, as well as for the songs. I love that bit about what happens when it's a long time since you've been laid...
Last edited by bob_32_116 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Theokie

Post by Theokie »

Speaking of Jimmy Webb, I was lucky enough to win two songwriting contests with Jimmy. He used to have half a song written on his website and you had to finish it! Alas no one has recorded either song yet, but it is something I treasure via the signed photo that Jimmy sent me! Also my wife got our CD of Richard Harris signed by the great actor when she was working as a 'background artist' (extra!) on his final film here in Liverpool.
Last edited by Theokie on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

EB,FOJ, MacP.

Post by Michael »

Hi everybody,
It seems that everyone is in love with my favourite songs of all time. What's the deal folks? get your own faves and stay away from mine :evil: How about I throw a few more in! Bus stop- The Hollies, Honey- Bobby Goldsborough, Lady Eleanor-Lindisfarne, Winter in America-Doug Ashdown(an Aussie), By the time I get to Phoenix-Glen Campbell.
:wink: These are mine OK.
Michael.
Last edited by Michael on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

One of my most treasured accolades -- and there are many that I treasure beyond words -- is that Jimmy's book (arguably the very best book on songwriting ever written) begins with a quote from "Elusive Butterfly." At this age, I no longer need anyone to tell me I'm on the right track. After years and years of doing it, one develops a subjective, interior barometer and comes to know his worth as an artist without outside reassurance.
Nonetheless, when a master like Jimmy Webb acknowledges your contribution to American Music, it can swell the soul a little.

And BTW, I highly recommend the book to any beginning songwriter.
It's called TUNESMITH (Inside the Art of Songwriting). Jimmy's as humble as he is talented. But he doesn't dance around the truth when it comes to his craft. He has strong feelings about the songwriter's gig and he's very clear in expressing them. I don't agree with all of his ideas, but that's hardly the point. What you get in those 422 pages are the ideas and experiences of a consummate composer and lyricist and some great insights into how he works.
End of unpaid commercial announcement.