Bob Lind conquers London - The Luminaire gig

Where's Bob now? Lind live shows, CD releases and media appearances.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

Martin Roberts

Bob Lind conquers London - The Luminaire gig

Post by Martin Roberts »

A packed house and appreciative audience gave Bob a rousing welcome and rowdy applause for his first UK gig in over 40years. Relaxed and in great voice, many of the songs taken at a more leisurely pace but still in the same key, Bob was obviously delighted at the reception he received. Afraid I'll have to leave it to wiser heads to list the songs in the set, I just watched and cheered, grinning inanely, as one record after another was brought to life by Bob's performance. His rapport between songs was as warm and friendly - with a self depreciating humour that made the honesty and beauty of his songs even more pronounced - as his messages to the site suggest.
I'm not sure if the appreciation of music without era (50s, 60s, 70s etc) or genre (rock, folk, hip-hop, reggae etc) tags is as prevalent internationally but here in the UK great music IS great music, no barriers. I was pleased that any fears that the date would be a nostalgia feast for 50 something’s, with zimmer frames and ill-fitting false teeth, waving two finger peace salutes, was dispelled not just by the audience, young & old, male & female, and black & white but the material Bob played. Of course long standing favourites like “Elusive Butterfly” and “Cheryl's Goin’ Home” were given especially eager cheers by his older fans, as well as his more recent converts, but Bob's newer material flowed flawlessly amongst them.
Joined for three songs by a 'surprise guest', who modestly plied his wares in the shadows, the added guitar playing of this 'young gun' and Bob Lind fan, Richard Hawley was just one more cherry to add to a fantastic evening. By the time the fourth encore had been demanded and played Bob must have been wondering why he'd left it so long to return to London Town. Jill Guerra seemed to be doing brisk trade selling copies of Bob's CDs and the queue that waited to have a photo or CD signed by Bob or even just a few words must have been very gratifying.
To round of the night I managed to become a 'backstage Johnny' and while rubbing shoulders with Jarvis Cocker, Richard Hawley and my heroes from Ace Records mumbled a few inanities to the man himself, Mr. Bob Lind. If you're in England and couldn't make The Luminaire you MUST get down to Exeter, Friday June 22nd.
Martin