In a Coffe House Long Ago

General discussion & socializing in a Lind-related vein.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

Patrick Russell

In a Coffe House Long Ago

Post by Patrick Russell »

Dear Bob --

I'm glad to finally find a way to be in touch with you. I've wanted to do that several times over the years. After a long and winding journey, I am now the minister of a United Church of Christ congregation (sort of like Methodist or Presbyterian, but members are free to hold a wide spectrum of beliefs) in Cary, NC, just outside of Raleigh (I would be glad to send your our website address, but it got blocked on my first attempt to send you this message).

You and I go way back. It was probably in 1963 in Denver. I was a senior in high school, and was one of just a few customers at a Coffee House called the Analyst late one night. They were having an open mic night, and you walked in and wanted to sing -- if I am not mistaken, you were a college student at Gunnison at the time, and I think you may have gone to high school in Aurora, which is where my first wife went to high school. Anyway, you came in and asked to sing, and the owner/manager said, "Well, he doesn't look very much like a folk singer, but we'll let him try, anyway." I think I got your voice imprint in my mind that night, and that imprint has never evaporated. I also loved the character of your songs and the poetry (and humor) of your lyrics-- the Colorado history songs as well as the more traditional folk song style, the love songs and the life songs.

I think I heard you two or three more times at the Analyst before I left to start college in Austin, Texas in the fall of 1964. And then one day I was listening to a radio station in Austin -- I came in to the middle of a song -- and before I had heard more than eight measures of "Elusive Butterfly," even though I had no idea that you even had a recording contract by then, I knew immediately it was you. When I went back home on occasion to Denver/Englewood, I always tried to catch you if you were performing. I returned to Colorado to finish up college in Boulder, and during those years (1966-68) I caught you twice in the same week (around Christmas?), I think, at an actual theater with a stage in Denver -- it may or may not have been the Bluebird. My memories of that are not entirely clear, except that I loved a song you did there which I have never heard before or since -- "Down at Denny's Diner, Over Ham and Eggs, You got Me in Trouble, For Lookin' at Your Legs." Somehow I could identify with those lines, as I could with many of the other words and feelings and experiences you wrote about during those years. I got my brother and my Mom and any current girlfriends turned on to your music, and had at least one or two copies of four of your vinyl albums -- The Elusive Bob Lind; Photographs of Feeling; the Verve album with all the Colorado songs; and Since There Were Circles.

I have the CD with most of your songs from The Elusive Bob Lind and Photographs of Feeling, and was really happy when I just discovered that "Circles" is now available on CD. The copy I ordered last week just arrived in today's mail, which is how I knew to contact you at this site. I'll look forward to learning more about where you have been, where you are now, and what you have done in the intervening years. And I look forward to ordering your latest live CD release very soon.

Would love to find CD quality recordings of the songs from the Verve album and "Denny's Diner." But I know we don't get everything we want.

There is a couple locally who sponsor and host a very respectable series of house concerts in Raleigh -- mostly folk-based, some blue grass, etc. I think that might be a very good venue for you, and if you are ever interested in knowing more about it, I would be happy to make connections for you. It would be great to meet you and to hear you perform "live" again.

Nice to catch up with you. Keep up the good work.

Blessings -- (F. Patrick) Pat Russell
Last edited by Patrick Russell on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

Hi Pat, Welcome to the board.

Wow! Talk about a veteran Lind fan . . . . Thanks for your tenacity. Glad you're into the new stuff too.

And Thanks for the blast from the past. I haven't thought of DANNY'S DINER in ages.

Stay close to the forum. Nice to have you with us.
Last edited by Lind on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lou C.

denny's diner

Post by Lou C. »

"...love is like maracas and the rhythm drives me mad.
If you're gonna shake it, babe, you're gonna get it grabbed.
Why you want to make me look so unrefined?
You know you can make me unzip my mind anytime,
anytime at all."

"Anytime I'm around you, you've always got to prove,
You've got me blocked and covered, any way I move.
Ah baby, why you want to make me look so bourgeoisie?
I know you're just trying to make a fool out of me."

and the beat goes on.
Last edited by Lou C. on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

How do you turkeys remember this stuff?
Talk about a forgettable song? Lou, don't you have a life? :)
Last edited by Lind on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeffbenton

Post by jeffbenton »

Or how about this classic, sung at the USC free concert so long ago...

Make It On My Own

That great producer in the sky, I hope he's taping me.
It's a cross-eyed destiny that's shaping me.
Sometimes I feel like lady luck is raping me.
Well it feels all right and I'm not up tight,
But my guiding light is much too bright...
Why can't I make it on my own?

My solid ground is much too mooshy.
My helping hand's a little too pushy.
My guardian angel's much too touchy, such a drag.
Well I can't complain but it seems a shame,
To have won the game before I came...

This little song has got no place to go.
I only wrote it 'cause I dig it so.
You'll never hear it on KHJ radio.

Bob, you cracked us young turkeys up, even in Those Olden Days!
Last edited by jeffbenton on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

Aargh!!

Do you bloody Yanks know how infuriating it is to hear of Lind concerts, past and present - WHEN WE ARE CRYING OUT FOR A VISIT DOWNUNDER !!!???

Seriously, though, folks...

You blokes must have some wonderful memories and images of Lind at work and play...we are just a tad envious...

Who knows...the likes of Bob, Maddo etc. (even lil ol' me) may be able to share our Lind moments one day...

...here's hoping...!':D'
Last edited by Danny Harris on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maddo

Post by Maddo »

Yeah, Danny, Bob, we poor cousins have missed out on so much Lind-fun.
:(
But this web site is great and makes us feel a real part of the Lind-scene and we have found out so much about Bob's career etc.

Love reading all the posts.

Danny, I think best we can hope for is to gather in Melbourne for a "premiere" viewing of the DVD in 2009, if we can get a copy.

Hey ! when are some more Aussie fans going to contribute to the board?

....i'm bound toward the sound of something just beyond me ....