Since There Were Circles

Share favorite lyrics, swap guitar tabs and talk about the songs.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

jeffbenton

Since There Were Circles

Post by jeffbenton »

Mr. Lind,

Could you give us your thoughts on this song's lyrics?

BTW, happy Valentine's Day to you!
Last edited by jeffbenton on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

Hey Jeff,
I'm not much good at explaining my lyrics. I just write them and allow people the freedom to digest them in their own way(s).
At one point, shortly after the album's 1971 release, I offered this comment about the title cut of SINCE THERE WERE CIRCLES:
"It's a love song from everyman to everywoman."
(A grandiose and ambitious explanation befitting a 28-year-old meglomaniac whose heart pumped equal parts self-importance and pure amphetamine.)
Past that, I leave you on your own.
Last edited by Lind on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bob_32_116

Circles and squares

Post by bob_32_116 »

If it's a love song from everyman to everywoman, couldn't it also be from everywoman to everyman? Or to the same sex, for that matter?

The one thing I always wondered about that song was: why the references to circles? I guess the title means the same as "since the beginning of time", but why circles in particular? A reference possibly to "circle"as in the circle and the square, the traditional symbols of male and female?

Then again,I imagine Bob is chuckling away at us all for reading more into his lyrics than he ever intended :D
Last edited by bob_32_116 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rob68

Re: Circles and squares

Post by rob68 »

bob_32_116 wrote:If it's a love song from everyman to everywoman, couldn't it also be from everywoman to everyman? Or to the same sex, for that matter?

The one thing I always wondered about that song was: why the references to circles? I guess the title means the same as "since the beginning of time", but why circles in particular? A reference possibly to "circle"as in the circle and the square, the traditional symbols of male and female?

Then again,I imagine Bob is chuckling away at us all for reading more into his lyrics than he ever intended :D
I get the feeling Bob isn't big on explaining specific lyrics, but I've been curious for a while myself about the meaning of the circles references.....not just in this song, but also in I Found You, and another one......can't remember the lyrics now, maybe We Are Children Still.
Last edited by rob68 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
....I went to the river and I stood on the shore. I stood in the twilight of the life I had before....
Matt

Post by Matt »

I always thought using "circles" was a reference to the planets and the sun...like saying "How long have I loved you, since the beginning of time."