Since There Were Circles!

Where's Bob now? Lind live shows, CD releases and media appearances.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

jamie

Since There Were Circles!

Post by jamie »

There’s a certain sound in a young man’s voice that just comes out effortlessly when he must feel he’s on top of the world-and understands it all completely. “Since There Were Circles” on RPM Records in the UK is one of those magical records for me. The confidence from Bob’s vocal delivery just leaps off this disc, with all his different twists and turns from his earlier also-wonderful discs. He’s playing with his brightness and tone a lot-which is great new stuff to me—and I’ve never heard his delivery be so relaxed and easy sounding-like silk. I would place this record up next to Elvis Costello’s “Imperial Bedroom” as far as how it strikes me as I listen to it-like the artist is there to serve no one but himself-which is the way it should be-(at least according to me!) This record also has such a cool, dry recording sound-very 70’s and “in your face”. Even the strings and horns (wonderful arrangements!) are nice and dry-like a Don Dixon approach. Bob is also completely unconcerned about the usual abab cdcd rhyme scheme in 99% of all recorded music. He does rhyme-but only….when he wants to. He serves no master. This is definitely the “coolest” record of Bob’s-to date-and I personally know there is more to come. I’ve heard it….

Did I mention the packaging is great too? A nice big fold-out with lots of interesting liners and comments from Bob. Also-the bonus cuts are all top shelf. No filler, whatsoever. Great pictures too! It has the very best version of “San Francisco Woman” I’ve heard yet.

Bob is no one-hit wonder-he’s all over the map, if you ask me.

Jamie Hoover 1/30/07 *****
Last edited by jamie on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jill

Post by Jill »

As Bob's manager and ardent fan, the review above is welcome news, coming as it does from Jamie Hoover. For those five or six American Indie fans who aren't aware of Jamie's music, he's a rock veteran and a unique artist in his own right: Lead guitar, vocals and founding member of cult-favorites The Spongetones and, before that, the Van DeLeckis.

Jamie recently played lead guitar with Bob on the in-studio taping for the documentary on Bob and his music, which should be out later this year or early next. His presence was a real feather in our collective cap.
Last edited by Jill on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny Harris

Re:

Post by Danny Harris »

Jill wrote:For those five or six American Indie fans who aren't aware of Jamie's music, he's a rock veteran and a unique artist in his own right
...AND knows his music...!
"Some may call it wander-lust, some may call it crazy.
I don't call it anything - I Just Let It Take Me."