Bob Lind's college days

General discussion & socializing in a Lind-related vein.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

Bob Lind's college days

Post by guest »

For years, I heard some tales about Bob spending a semester (or possibly two) at Western State College in Gunnison, Colo., during the early 1960s. Truth or fable?

Emerson Schwartzkopf
Palm Springs, Calif.
Last edited by guest on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreenLarry

Post by GreenLarry »

The rumors are true I knew him he stayed in Ute Hall and played his guitar all day and night when every one else was trying to sleep. Nobody could get any sleep. Or they couldn't study either. No wonder he only stayed a few semesters. He never studied. He had a band called the misfits and they played in a bar in town. One time he got a ride from me back to the dorm from town and while we were driving back a song called Julie Ann played on the radio. He never heard it before and he said man I love this song. When we got back to the dorm he took out his guitar and played the whole song from the start to the finish of it. I couldn't believe that he knew the song so fast. Some people didn't like him but I did.
Last edited by GreenLarry on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

Guilty on all counts.
I did indeed go to Western I was there three years. Amazing, actually, since I did indeed play music all the time. I eventually flunked out because they like you to study once in a while.

I don't remember the incident Green Larry describes but I remember a song called "Julie Anne" It was a folky tune by the Randy Sparks trio about a woman who gets eaten by a bear.
Last edited by Lind on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wendy Merritt (Dustin)

Bob's College Days

Post by Wendy Merritt (Dustin) »

I hope I'm in the right place to comment on good ol' Bob at good ol' Western State.
I knew him as much as an actor as a musician. I remember fondly a readers theatre production of Night of the Hunter, when Bob turned in a wonderful performance of the narrator. It was probably in 1963 or 64. Definitely pre Elusive Butterfly. I remember all of us trying to keep track of him when he left, quietly in the middle of the night it felt like. One minute he was there and the next he was gone.In those three years that he was there , he left an indelible mark on all of us in the theatre department. Maybe something he's unaware of. We liked him just fine!!!

We missed you when you left and it is absolutely great to find you again...(for me, twice actually)

Wendy
Last edited by Wendy Merritt (Dustin) on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visitor056

Overview

Post by Visitor056 »

I have visited your site 782-times
Last edited by Visitor056 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Karen Henderson

Lind at Western

Post by Karen Henderson »

I too remember you, Bob, as a Theatre Major. I'd like you to know that I heard Elusive Butterfly played in a book store in Salem, OR a year ago. Immediately I was flooded with rich memories of Western. Glad to see you are still doing what you love to do, Bob.
Last edited by Karen Henderson on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

Hey Wendy and Karen,
Thanks for the flood of memories. Ah yes, Lind the actor. I wanted to be Brando. (the buff and macho Brando). But once I found out acting is work, I decided it's better suited to those with the dedication and discipline for it.

Wendy, I of course remember you too and word is you're still acting. What joy it is to know you haven't lost your fire.

Karen, thanks for the kind words.
Welcome to the forum. I thank you both for treading THIS board.