comparison

General discussion & socializing in a Lind-related vein.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

delshannon

comparison

Post by delshannon »

there are two songs that to me lyricly and musically that stand out from all other songs written in the last forty years....(1) "If you could read my mind" and (2) "Elusive Butterfly" thanks Bob :lol:
Last edited by delshannon on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bill

Post by bill »

Per chance is this the Del Shannon ? If so how cool !! ...Bill

" Follow the sun ahh wee ooo"
Last edited by bill on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
delshannon

del shannon

Post by delshannon »

sorry bill but no! I have always been a big Del Shannon fan,met him many times...but of course a big fan of Bob Lind too...Del died in 1991
Last edited by delshannon on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

Hey D.S.,
Again, thanks for your interest and for your kind words.
Honored to be in the company of Gordon Lightfoot -- whose name always seems to precede mine in the folk rock book glossaries.
I think "Beautiful' is a masterpiece.
Stay with us.
yers,
Bob
Last edited by Lind on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel H

Post by Daniel H »

Delshannon-U are a kindred spirit. "Elusive Butterfly" is my favorite song (in a class by itself), and "If you Could Read my Mind" is in my top five. There are entire compartments in my brain/heart devoted to both of them. Welcome to the board!
Last edited by Daniel H on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You'll catch a fleeting glimpse of someone's fading shadow...
rob68

Post by rob68 »

Lind wrote: I think "Beautiful' is a masterpiece.
I agree. And I love how it was used in one of the driving scenes in 'The Brown Bunny' film. Gordon is great. I treasure the 2CD set from about 10 yrs. ago of his first 4 albums.

As far as Del, I tend to like his oddball late 60s stuff.....like the 'Charles Westover' album, and 'Home and Away'. Still gotta get that new 'Home and Away' CD!
Last edited by rob68 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
....I went to the river and I stood on the shore. I stood in the twilight of the life I had before....
bob_32_116

Lindisfarne

Post by bob_32_116 »

Lind wrote:Hey D.S.,
Again, thanks for your interest and for your kind words.
Honored to be in the company of Gordon Lightfoot -- whose name always seems to precede mine in the folk rock book glossaries.
I think "Beautiful' is a masterpiece.
Stay with us.
yers,
Bob
This comment from Bob about Gordon Lightfoot's name always preceding his own made me chuckle. During the 1970's there was an English band called Lindisfarne. I believe they were moderately successful in the UK but were unknown here (Australia). The only reason I became aware of them was that I developed the neurotic habit of always flicking through the racks in the record stores looking for Bob Lind's material. Coming upon Lindiisfarne signalled that I had no luck in this store either. Boy did I get sick of seeing that name Lindisfarne.
Last edited by bob_32_116 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bill

Post by bill »

Lindisfarne was actually a pretty good folk influenced ensemble. They had a great song I remember... "Lady Eleanor." No connection (that I know of) to Bob's "Eleanor."

"The one thing I just couldn't stand to ignore is that you knew what to do with your hands Eleanor."

Ignore / Eleanor ....always loved that rhyme !!

Bill
Last edited by bill on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
delshannon

Post by delshannon »

four things you have going for you Bob over Gordon Lightfoot..(1) your as good lyricly...(2) your as good musically (3) your voice is far better and (4) your better looking!!!