Bob's DVD Taping

Where's Bob now? Lind live shows, CD releases and media appearances.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

Susanne Gilmore

Bob's DVD Taping

Post by Susanne Gilmore »

I had the pleasure of attending the studio portion of Bob's DVD taping yesterday evening. What a special treat that was. In addition to seeing & hearing Bob perform some of our acoustic favorites (How the Nights Can Fly, Elusive Butterfly, Nameless Request etc.) we also got to see & hear Bob perform with a band, featuring THE Jamie Hoover on guitar and (I think this is the correct name) Matt Cook, on keyboards. Wow- Bob goes electric - or at least the backing band was. The band also included a drummer and a bass player and played such "rockin'" favorites such as Cheryl's Goin' Home, Spilling Over and EB again.

I am kicking myself for not taking notes again as most of the evening passed by in a magical, trancelike haze for me. I was totally in awe. The band got to showcase their talent when Matt Cook sang lead on Unlock the Door and Jamie Hoover did Drifter's Sunrise.

Ed (Seeker2Be) was also in the audience and I am sure he'll fill you in on the rest of the details. All I can say is - be sure to buy the DVD when it comes out. The taping was pure Lind at his finest!
Last edited by Susanne Gilmore on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Hackie

Post by Ed Hackie »

It was a long,long trip from Las Vegas to North Hollywood with the last 50 miles and 4 hours of traffic jams on Saturday just to get near the area.. Sunday AM I plotted out the map to get to North Hollywood from Riverside (to the South where I stayed overnight with friends) . I wanted to get to the Blue Palm Studio early where Bob was going to record his DVD and scout the exact location out. I didn’t want to miss a minute by being late for this unique musical event. I arrived at 2:30 pm for the session at 4:00. The location appeared to be an economically depressed, densely populated area. This seemingly unlikely site for a recording studio was in an industrial back alley with high sharp gates and lots of barbwire. There were no signs of the Blue Palm Studio except for a blue building and the correct address. It seemed so ominous to me . I came back to the small studio at 3:30PM . Bob was already playing the piano and singing with the band recording tapes of his more recent songs : among them “Gravity of the World and “China” and “Roll the windows down” About 6 of us sat near the outer studio where the sound boards were, peering through the inner studio windows . Each of us nodding in approval with ever increasing beaming smiles for each take. On the wall hung a golden record and plaque by Stevie Wonder for his album “Music in the Key of Life” , which I figured had been recorded there. Later about 12 of us entered into the inner studio and sat in chairs watching the musical takes. Bob sang a wonderful version of Momma said there would be days like this”… beautiful!! The taping and filming were done by a very professional crew and I, like everyone else was “holding the moments as long as they could be held” , slowing down the hands of the clock to make this wonderful experience last and savoring every second. Though Bob was suffering with a sore throat he gave it his heart as always and the songs were flawless , enthusiastically, and wonderfully Lind. Bob introduced the Tom Paxton song “Bottle of Wine” but felt it had been awkward as a glorified, raucous, rousing drinking song. He sang his own poignant slowed version which really rightly described the melancholy life of someone’s life addicted to alcohol. It reminded me of listening to two versions of “Breaking up is hard to do” by Neil Sedaka or “Layla” by Eric Clapton and how their meanings seemed so different based on tempo and arrangement. Bob also did the same with “Elusive Butterfly”, two different versions and it was really special. I loved all his songs but I really liked the new ones “Someone to Adore” and “Perspective”. I am sure all of you will identify with the thoughts in those songs when you hear them.
The backup band was fantastically talented. Most interestingly to me was the Keyboard player Matt , age 21 , who said Bob Lind has had a great influence on him. Matt sang a beautiful solo of Unlock the Door. The session lasted from 3:30 PM until 9:30 P.M. Wonderful song after wonderful song. It seemed like it was only a few minutes. None of us wanted it to end. . It was over all too soon. I was so honored to be there, a fan of 35 years. . I was so grateful for the invitation to this intimate process. Thanks so much to Jill, his manager. Bob was gracious , humble and real as always. His producer bought Pizza and provided drinks for everyone. Bob thanked each and every one of us after many, many ovations. We really had him to thank for this wonderful experience. Bob even called me the next day to thank me for coming. What artist do you know who genuinely cares about his fans like this? I can tell you that wherever in the world you may be , if you purchase this DVD, when it is available, you too will be part of this wonderful intimate session and be engulfed by the treat of his performance alone and with the band.. I truly was wishing the whole on-line board of fans had been there. Ed Hackie
Last edited by Ed Hackie on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Lind has resonated with me for 30 years. I am enthusiastic about his music.
Martin Roberts

Post by Martin Roberts »

Thanks Suzanne and particularly Ed for posting details of the taping, what a very special time you both had. Sorry to hear Bob had a sore throat. Doesn't seem the perfect time to be recording but pleased to hear it didn't seem to impact on his performance.
Martin
Last edited by Martin Roberts on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeffbenton

Post by jeffbenton »

Susanne - incurable romantic

Ed - consummate road warrior

Thanks to both of you for your thoughts and feelings.

So glad you were able to see, hear, and talk to Bob. He's a treasure.
Last edited by jeffbenton on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grant
Admonkeystrator

Post by grant »

Jamie Hoover gave us some pix. Here are five:

Bob Lind. He's a singer.

He sings with a band.

Jill Guerra, Bob's manager.

More with the band. The bass player handles a stand-up too.

Bob with band and the producers of the documentary: (L to R) Jamie Hoover, Lead Guitar; Ian Marshall, co-producer of the DVD; Lind; Matt Cook, Keyboards and musical director; Kevin Jarvis, Drums; Paul Surratt, DVD co-producer; Dave Carpenter, Bass.
Last edited by grant on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Let me just say that I have held this secret long enough! :lol: Bob actually told me about 1 1/2 weeks ago that I was free to post away, but I wanted to wait until I experienced the entire 3-week trip. I just posted this summary on my website, which I'd like to share here as well...and thanks for the kind words above. It was honor to be able to play with Bob for all of you. Here it is:

Mainly through e-mails and his message board on his official site, I have been fortunate enough to be in contact for the past two years with one of my main musical influences, singer/songwriter Bob Lind (of “Elusive Butterfly” fame). Bob asked me to give him a call this past August. I was delighted to hear that Mr. Lind was planning a three week tour of Southern California in late October/early November. The tour would include acoustic shows at The Coffee Gallery Backstage and Little Pedro’s, and culminate with the filming of an in-concert DVD in Hollywood. As if that weren’t the great news, Bob Lind asked me if I’d be interested in playing in his backing band for the Hollywood gig. From what I remember, I said “yes” not long after my jaw dropped!

As the details continued to be ironed out, Bob sent me demos and chord charts to some of his newest songs, many of which have yet to be heard by the public. I was also given the task of charting out some of Bob’s older tunes for the rest of the band, which was also in the process of being assembled during this time. Then midway through October, I learned that I’d be working with established guitarist and an adamant Lind fan like myself, Jamie Hoover. Jaime would be flying in from North Carolina to play in the band.

Once Bob arrived in California, I got the opportunity to meet him for the first time at his gig in Altadena at the Coffee Gallery Backstage on October 22. Through our contact over the previous two years, I felt as if I was meeting up with an old friend rather than meeting a legendary songwriter for the first time. Bob introduced me to a number of great people, with whom I’d be working with for the next three weeks; his manager Jill Guerra, the documentary producers Ian Marshall and Paul Surratt, and along with of course Jamie Hoover, two great LA/Orange County-based musicians Kevin Jarvis on drums and David J. Carpenter on bass.

Musician Ben Vaughn allowed the band to rehearse in his studio in Venice. Though unfortunately not caught on film, the rehearsals were magical. I felt as if I had been playing in this band for years. Everyone was enthusiastic about performing Bob’s songs, and had the talent to back it up. We all had a good feeling going into the in-studio taping on Sunday, November 12. The lights and cameras at Blue Palm Digital highlighted Bob Lind’s official comeback, and all the friends and fans in attendance could not have been any happier.

Bob Lind’s visit to Southern California truly was one of the most unique experiences I have ever been a part of, or will be a part of for that matter. It means an awful lot for one of my greatest influences of my own career to have the confidence and trustworthiness in my ability to include me in such a great project. I’m so grateful to have been a part of this. Everyone involved treated me exceptionally, especially Bob Lind himself. I could not have asked to meet more talented or pleasant people. This DVD is going to be great. I can’t wait for what’s on the horizon.

-Matt
Last edited by Matt on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rob68

Post by rob68 »

Great posts, everyone. Congratulations Matt!
Last edited by rob68 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
....I went to the river and I stood on the shore. I stood in the twilight of the life I had before....
HomonymGirl

Post by HomonymGirl »

Sounds like such a fun experience! What an honor that had to be! I've been a fan/friend of Jamie's for years, and he actually introduced me to Bob's music through his covers of the songs. I can't wait for this DVD to come out!
Last edited by HomonymGirl on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

Hey HGirl, Welcome to the board.

I'm back home and finally rested. Trying to digest all the great stuff that has gone down over the past four weeks.
Much of it has already been covered here. I just want to say, in response to Matt, that I'm the lucky one. Working with Jamie, Matt, Dave and Kevin (the backing band on the in-studio portion of the documentary) is a singer/songwriter wet dream come true. These guys are not only stunning players, they also have attitudes that stretch far beyond "professional." Both Jamie and Matt have their own bands, both write and are artists to be reckoned with in their own right. Dave and Kevin constantly work with prestigious artists like Jill Sobule and Grant Lee Phillips.
But they never once allowed any ego to seep through into what we did. Their only concern was with how they could make me and my songs sound better.

And as to Paul and Ian (the documentary's producers), I still can't get my mind around them. Even taking on a project like this is astounding. I don't even want to think about how deep they had to dig into their pockets, never cutting corners, always interested in making this an accurate projection of my life and music.
All this for an artist who hasn't been famous since 1966.
But it's more than their courage. It's also their uncanny instincts. They interviewed my girlfriend, my manager, fans, friends and zillions of other people (some of whom don't even like me!) in the interest of showing a well-rounded pic.
When this thing gets cut together -- and give it time BTW, they have hours and hours of footage to edit -- this will present me as I've never been shown before.
Naturally I'll post the release date as soon as I know it. But don't expect it to be tomorrow or the next day.
Last edited by Lind on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darra

Keeping Track of Time

Post by Darra »

But don't expect it to be tomorrow or the next day.
Hi, this is my first post here and I'm so happy to have found this board.

Re: the above quote.... patience is not one of my strong points, but, considering I never thought I'd find a place like this, I guess I'll work on it.
Last edited by Darra on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

Hey Darra,
Welcome to the board. Hope to hear more from you.
Last edited by Lind on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamie

Lind in LA!

Post by jamie »

It's taken me forever to get a chance to post on this event-and for that-I apologize. Better late than never, though...

I just want to say that I am so proud to have been a part of the taping of this project-I just don't know what to say! I just had to keep pinching myself while I was in LA doing this thing-and believing I was there. Everyone involved-Bob, (of course) -Matt, Kevin, David, Ian and Paul, and Jill-to name a few-were all so completely cool to work with. It was an enriching project to be a part of-and I'll be happy I did it-and look back on it with fondness and pride for the rest of my life. What an experience and a pleasure! I hope to work with Bob and any or all of the folks again in the future. Damn good band-and what a singer!

Go get em' Bob! (damn good finger picker too!)

:-)

Jamie Hoover