Bob's 10/22 gig

Where's Bob now? Lind live shows, CD releases and media appearances.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

Rick

Bob's 10/22 gig

Post by Rick »

Hey Bob -

This news makes my week - and my month! I'll be flying down from San Francisco just to catch this gig of yours...

But have to tell you that I dialed the phone # listed in your above post for the Coffee Gallery, and the '938-' is a little incorrect -

The correct phone number for the Coffee Gallery Backstage, after I called directory assistance, is 626-398-7917

I just now - Wednesday evening - called the Coffee Gallery and spoke with a Dave. He said it's "too early to be taking reservations for Oct 22" that "to call back in a week"....

But you're absolutely correct, Bob, in your advisement about making reservations early. The venue is small and cozy... and it does sell out very quickly.

I'll be monitoring the "opening day of ticket sales" and will keep everyone advised. Perhaps we can all meet beforehand...

Yeah, the Ice House... Totally cool venue... awesome memories...just as with the music...

....The 'Ice', the Troubadour on Santa Monica Boulevard, The Golden Bear in Huntington Beach, and the Palomino Club in North Hollywood were the icon venues of southern California music in the 60s and 70s....

..... They were all sooooo California back then...

Rick......
Last edited by Rick on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Susanne Gilmore

Post by Susanne Gilmore »

Yes Rick, I had the same experience when I called for tix. I got the phone # from their website & was also told to call back in a week or two.

I am really looking forward to this - it's been 20 years or so since I last saw Bob perform here in So Cal.
Last edited by Susanne Gilmore on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grant
Admonkeystrator

Post by grant »

Rick is so gentle -- a "little" incorrect. I just fixed the transposed numbers, though, and edited this thread title, so now everyone will be mystified by that comment.

It was never wrong. It was never wrong. It was never wrong.....
Last edited by grant on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

Well don't I feel like a idjit.
Rick, you're the best. Thanks so much for waking us up. As grant says, he's made the correction.
Glad you're coming down for the gig. Bring a mess of pals.

And Susanne, it will be great to see you.

I will post another thread letting you all know when the Coffee Gallery will be taking reservations for the show.
Last edited by Lind on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seeker2be

The coffee Gallery Gig

Post by Seeker2be »

I am so excited!!!!!!!!! Havent seen Bob in 35 years and his albums are always within me. I havent seen him since the Free clinic concert with Hoyt Axton, Poco, and three dog night at USC. I made the first reservation for the coffee gallery for me and my wife. Now I just need to get out of 2 ER night shifts to make it and I will one way or the other!!!! I wouldnt miss one of my core life's inspirations for anything. I am who I am in large part through Bob's inspirational music and the perception and appreciation of life they inspired. Looking forward to this trip to LA from Vegas for this wonderful show. Fill it up fans! Ed hackie
Last edited by Seeker2be on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jill

Coffee Gallery Reservations

Post by Jill »

I just called the Coffee Gallery and they are indeed taking reservations! Everyone that called last week and was told to hold off for a bit can go ahead and call now. It is going to be a great show and I know it is going to sell out fast.
Last edited by Jill on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick

Coffee Gallery - and a girl named Julie

Post by Rick »

Thanks, Jill, for the heads up. I called The Coffee Gallery last night and made 2 reservations -

All the makings of an All-Time Gig!

When I called, a girl named Julie answered the phone. Now just what song do you think started running thru my mind when she mentioned her name...

I asked her if she knew who "Bob Lind" is/was...and had she ever heard of the elusive butterfly --- which elicited a recent-post-puberty sounding "No" on both accounts!

But when I related how one of his songs, written and sung by Bob, was about a girl named Julie, she most definitely came to life...

...So Bob, please be forewarned - that a young hostess in the Coffee Gallery named Julie is going to ask all about you...and a song with Julie in the title and lyrics.

If Truly Julie's Blues softly rocks her world even a little like it rocked mine so many years ago, than perhaps youth will be served a moment of musical magic.

BTW - when I asked, Julie did say that there were 40 seats left to be sold. And that was yesterday evening - Sunday --- Take our word, The Gallery sells fast.

Rick
Last edited by Rick on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rob68

Post by rob68 »

......expecting details anytime now :D ......
Last edited by rob68 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
....I went to the river and I stood on the shore. I stood in the twilight of the life I had before....
Lost In The Crash

Post by Lost In The Crash »

Just got home from the show ( a 40 mile drive). I'm tired. Will post a set list and all the details sometime tomorrow. It was GREAT!!!!!!
Last edited by Lost In The Crash on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Susanne Gilmore

Post by Susanne Gilmore »

(hopefully this will not show up under 'Guest" this time.)

Wow - what can I say! I haven't seen Bob perform live in 20 years and the show last night was just like a trip back in time - with the addition of some great new music. Excellent venue for hearing acoustic music, too.

Set list: I Love to Sing, Looking for You, Cheryl's Going Home, a very different version of Tom Paxton's Bottle of Wine - not the rowdy "happy drunk" version that you usually hear, but very reflective "when you gonna let me get sober?" thoughts that definitely put the song in an entirely new light. Then a new song called Perspective, Spilling Over (yes I was glad to hear that "let her go" replaced "cast her out" tonight also), May, Nameless Request - with an surprise additional last verse, Necessary Lies, Roll the Windows Down, Sophia's Lullaby, another new song - Someone to Adore, and then a song that can only be described as Broadway Blues. Now my show tune education is practically non-existant , but I believe the song was "If I Loved You" by Rogers & Hammerstein - played as slide-guitar blues, which I am much more familiar with. Elusive Butterfly was the "closer". Then came the encore songs, Truly Julie's Blues and How the Nights Can Fly.

It was nice to meet some of the other folks who frequent this site. Maybe they'll add their commentary as well.

I'll post more later when I have the chance to think about what I'm saying, but I know that some you were were waiting with baited breath to find out what the evening's musical selections were.
Last edited by Susanne Gilmore on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bill

Post by bill »

Opening with “I Love to Sing” and closing with “Elusive Butterfly”…..followed by encores…I can’t think of anyplace I would rather have been last night than then the intimate setting of the Coffee Gallery in Altadena, California. It is a venue perfect for acoustic music with excellent sound and lighting. Bob looked and sounded great and was clearly happy to be performing. Repeatedly he thanked the audience for their recognition of his efforts and how wonderful it was for him to have an audience connect with and understand the feelings conveyed in his music. Gratifying even more to Lind when describing himself as a “cult figure” at best. Two movie cameras documented the event and renowned rock and roll photographer Henry Diltz handled the still photography. Bob acknowledged their presence and thanked them but beyond that they weren’t there. Nothing was staged, no pauses or breaks ….this was a Bob Lind solo concert. We were even treated to Bob’s sound check. This was a very relaxed and intimate event for Bob, having not performed in California in 20 years.

Bob freely admits….as we all know…loves to play his newer material and did. During “Roll the Windows Down” Bob forgot the next lyric… “Let’s get in motion.” Without missing a beat, he shared with the audience “that’s what you want to do when you’re filming a documentary, forget the lyrics and let everyone know you’re an ass.” Clearly the Lind self effacing humor is still in tact. “Sophia’s Lullaby” was there as well as what appears to be a current Bob favorite “Gravity” ….”Crippled by the gravity of the world.”

Bob did not disappoint with his inclusion of a good amount of classic Lind material. “Cheryl’s Going Home” was done amazingly powerfully for a rendition with only acoustic accompaniment. The performance was interesting, from my perspective, knowing this was actually released as the A –side of “Elusive Butterfly.” “Spilling Over” was delivered with Bob playing harmonica that replaced the lead guitar parts. I didn’t even know Bob played harmonica!! “Truly Julie’s Blues (I’ll Be There) was a nice surprise …a personal favorite to which I added, while not necessary, the strings in my head!!

After the show made Bob was fully available and was most cordial to his audience. Let’s see, the Little Pedro show in LA is when? …11/1. :}

-Bill
Last edited by bill on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeffbenton

Post by jeffbenton »

Susanne:

Thank you so much for the performance recap. You're great!

Ain't Bob something? Musically like "the sound of springtime moving in the arms of early morning."

20 years (or 35 in my case) was too long to have to wait...but I'm just glad we're all getting to see and hear him again, and pray he stays healthy and happy for 20 more years!
Last edited by jeffbenton on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rob68

Post by rob68 »

Susanne Gilmore wrote: Necessary Lies
This would likely be Gravity of the World......LOVE that song.
Last edited by rob68 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
....I went to the river and I stood on the shore. I stood in the twilight of the life I had before....
rob68

Post by rob68 »

Susanne Gilmore wrote: Now my show tune education is practically non-existant , but I believe the song was "If I Loved You" by Rogers & Hammerstein
Oh man......this alone would've been worth the price of admission......must've been amazing!
Last edited by rob68 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeffbenton

Post by jeffbenton »

Grant: Will do.

BTW---can the other 10/22 gig topic be combined with this one?

Thanks. I'm confused now.
Last edited by jeffbenton on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.