Why Elusive Butterfly is Great Art

Share favorite lyrics, swap guitar tabs and talk about the songs.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

Lynn

Why Elusive Butterfly is Great Art

Post by Lynn »

Elusive Buttery fly is a story of pursuit. Though most commonly it could fit a man in pursuit of of woman, or a woman of a man, the pursuit could be about anything. That is whatsmakes it great art. It could be the story of struggling writer starving to complete and publish a novel, or it could have been Bob Lind himself struggling to become established in music.

I have two dear friends who have touchingly lived Elusive Butterfly. One is Doug who fell in love with Kaete in high school, never kissed her or even dated her, yet he has not been able to get her out of his mind for 46 years and dreams of meeting her just one more time in his life...he doesn't know why, it is the Elusive Butterfly...... Then I have the sadest friend of all, Katarina, who feels she is a woman in a man's body and has lost her family, friends, job and even her health in pursuit of trying to catch the Elsuive Butterfly that is her spirit. Tragically in pursuit of the butterfly she had kidney failure as a result of her surgery to be the butterfly and is now disabled and on life support for life.

We are all touched by the Elusive Butterfly at one time or another in our lives.

Lynn
Last edited by Lynn on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

Thanks Lynn, and welcome to the board.

There's a fellow on this forum named Daniel who will probably respond to this post of yours sooner or later. I know he gets the song in the same way.
What I've already said about it is that the chase/the hunt/the quest (none of them is the best word, but let's let them stand for now) is sometimes the sweetest facet of the active verb "to love."

I didn't invent it with "Butterfly."
There's a poem by Yeats called "Song of the Wandering Angus" that said it about 100 years ago.
But that's the sea I was sailing -- the sea of longing.

Hope you'll check out the new songs posted in the demo section.
And, of course, I'd be criminally remiss if I didn't let you know I have a brand-new in-person CD out (Check the CD Reviews and Merchandise pages of this site.)
Stay with us, Lynn. Good to have you aboard.
Last edited by Lind on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seeker2be

Post by Seeker2be »

Lynn : WOW! What a well written comment about Elusive butterfly. You found the words we all wanted to write about this song and its meanings to all of us throughout the years. You hit the mark. Put this together with the Steve Hoffman interview of Bob and his candor we can really be reminded again and again of Bob's insight, humility, and brilliance. To have that kind of humility and admit when you screwed up in your life is a character trait that is not shared by many of us but one to emulate. Yeah Bob! Hope you are overwhelmed by appreciative fans in California. Ed
Last edited by Seeker2be on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bob_32_116

I never realised...

Post by bob_32_116 »

All this time I have loved this song and I never realised.... I thought it was about an entomologist running after butterflies with his net. You mean it's supposed to be about people? Seeking after other people? :lol:

Seriously, I think butterfly stands alongside Gentle On My Mind as two of the best songs about human's longings for one another - though they are saying slightly different things. "Butterfly" is about wanting something that appears unattainable; the other is the guy saying that he loves his woman all the more (well I assume it's a woman) for the fact that he knows he is free to leave at any time, and for that reason keeps coming back.