Song for the day

General discussion & socializing in a Lind-related vein.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

bob_32_116

Re: Song for the day

Post by bob_32_116 »

I always liked this song. Annoyingly, when it was played on radio, it was always edited, removing a large part of the "bridge". This was of course in the days when three minutes was considered about the longest permissible running time for a song on the radio. (We seem to have returned to that situation, but one could probably fill a whole thread with discussions why this is so, and drift off topic,)

Their follow-up single, "Hole in My Shoe", was a bigger hit if I recall, but I didn't like it as much, it seemed psychedelic in a gimmicky kind of way. They produced some interesting stuff on later albums, but while I liked what I heard I was never really blown away by it.

Steve Winwood, of course, went very synth-poppy later on during the early 1980's. Didn't just about everybody?
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

If we are talking about the 80's, I think by and large it was a pretty awful decade musically - but there were a few gems.

It was however a bit of a golden age for Australian rock, which seemed to really come of age around that time, producing acts that were genuinely original instead of bands that recorded covers of UK or US hits. This is one: Solid Rock, by Goanna.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjzCDNOBicw

--------------------------------------------------------

P.S. I'm not sure I'll be posting one song per day. However I do appreciate having a bit of discussion of a variety of music.
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

^^ When the opening notes played, I thought I was going to get the Beatles' "I Am the Walrus"!
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

I have those first two Deep Forest albums! Got them in a "2 for 1" package.

I actually like the second album, Boheme, better, though they are both excellent. I don't think anybody did a better job of merging "world music" - African on the first album, eastern European on the second - with electronica.
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

Wasn't one of the members of the Police involved with Curved Air?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, here's a song for you: this is the band that basically rekindled my interest in contemporary rock music when I discovered them in 2009, after having become very jaded with popular music of the 90's and 00's.

Porcupine Tree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mENmbZ5Ikto
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

Mondrian wrote: The best ever protest song (IMHO) comes tomorrow. Guesses anyone?
There are heaps. If you are allowing protest songs that are not specifically anti-war, Bob Marley wrote many, of which one, "Get Up, Stand Up" was used for a period by Amnesty international as their unofficial theme song. Or you could be thinking of Donovan's "The Universal Soldier".

My guess, however, is Pete Seeger's "Where Have All the Flowers Gone".
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

Incidentally, Mondrian, when are you going to get yourself an avatar? It should be dead easy to find one that suits your name, or even to construct one yourself.