Re-release of SINCE THERE WERE CIRCLES

General discussion & socializing in a Lind-related vein.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

bob_32_116

Commercial success for STWC?

Post by bob_32_116 »

Inasmuch as Circles was the least commercially successful of Bob's early album releases, it would surprise me if the rerelease generates a lot of interest from anyone but his loyal fanbase.
One of the other 2 albums might have stood a better chance, but I imagine there were reasons to do with copyright ownership why this was not an option. Plenty of people seem to remember Elusive Butterfly - they might not know the song by name but it's familiar to them when they hear it. A few would also find that Remember The Rain strikes a chord in their memory.

Needless to say, i fervently hope I am proved wrong. The Circles album deserves a better response than it got first time round.
Last edited by bob_32_116 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bob_32_116

Net nannies

Post by bob_32_116 »

Lind wrote: As to the blurb on that Steve Hoffman page. The guy took my words verbatim but I don't know what those three asterisks are about (pain in the ***??!!) What are we in Sunday school here? I sent him a followup e-mail asking him to either leave it as I wrote it ("Pain in the ass to work with") or change it to "Nightmare to work with."
His fear of being censored is probably understandable. On another music forum I recently made a reference to Joe Cocker. It ended up on the message board as "Joe Thingyer"!
:lol:
Last edited by bob_32_116 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rob68

Post by rob68 »

THAT'S RIGHT I'M CRA-ZAY!

Why not let go?

http://www.rpmrecords.co.uk/

2 weeks away.....still wondering if it's 4 or 5 bonus tracks......can't wait to hear it all!
Last edited by rob68 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
....I went to the river and I stood on the shore. I stood in the twilight of the life I had before....
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

Thanks for the link, Rob. Stay excited and keep telling friends.
Tom Hartman painstakingly mixed and mastered five new tracks. RPM assures my manager that all five will be on the disc.
The original deal was for four new songs. (There were seven bonus tracks on the tapes but we didn't know how many would survive. Two are unusable.)
I don't know why I keep seeing releases that still say four. But it could well be that whoever's writing up the blurbs isn't aware of the fifth song.

But it's all out of my hands. I haven't touched these things since I gave them the huge box of tapes.
BONUS TITLES:
1. Marlene
2. I Found You
3. San Francisco Woman (new, spare version)
4. Colorado Line
5. We Are Children Still
Last edited by Lind on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Susanne

Since There were Circles

Post by Susanne »

Bob, can you tell us something about the 5 bonus tracks? When were they written? Any other historical information that you'd care to share about them? Thanks!!!!!
Last edited by Susanne on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rob68

Post by rob68 »

Lind wrote:Thanks for the link, Rob. Stay excited and keep telling friends.
Tom Hartman painstakingly mixed and mastered five new tracks. RPM assures my manager that all five will be on the disc.
The original deal was for four new songs. (There were seven bonus tracks on the tapes but we didn't know how many would survive. Two are unusable.)
I don't know why I keep seeing releases that still say four. But it could well be that whoever's writing up the blurbs isn't aware of the fifth song.

But it's all out of my hands. I haven't touched these things since I gave them the huge box of tapes.
BONUS TITLES:
1. Marlene
2. I Found You
3. San Francisco Woman (new, spare version)
4. Colorado Line
5. We Are Children Still
HA! You beat me to it. I just got an e-mail from Mark at RPM confirming 5 bonus-ers. Disc should be ready to go in 10 days. Lookin' forward!

Your personal PR firm (me :D ) is definitely spreading the online word, believe me.
....I went to the river and I stood on the shore. I stood in the twilight of the life I had before....
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

Hey Rob, If you ever burn out on your current gig, youve got a great future as a Private Eye.
Good that they're releasing all five bonus cuts because surprisingly enough, I actually like them all.
And, as I've mentioned elsewhere, Tom Hartman did a fantastic job mixing them from the 24-track tapes.
As to the other tracks -- the ones most of you have already heard -- I don't know what they're doing with those or how they're doing it.

Susanne, to answer your question, these previously unreleased songs are sort of hard to talk about. "SF Woman" you've heard, of course. I cut it with Jack on PHOTOGRAPHS. I like this newer version better because there's more life in it. Just a rhythm track and everybody's getting down on it. Lots of snap. A vibe similar to "Sweet Harriet but with different instrumentation.
The rest sort of speak for themselves.
Or if they don't, nothing I can say here will save them.
Report back here when you've heard them and share your feelings about them -- good or bad.
See you and the rest of you Californians on Sunday at the CGB.
Last edited by Lind on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Duncan

Post by John Duncan »

Seems the re-release of Circles uses the same original artwork according to photo on Amazon in the UK
Last edited by John Duncan on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rob68

Post by rob68 »

John Duncan wrote:Seems the re-release of Circles uses the same original artwork according to photo on Amazon in the UK
Strange that they don't show the bonus tracks on Amazon, or even RPM's website. You'd think that listing them would increase sales. Being an import disc here in the U.S., I'm sure you UK-ers will get the CD first. Please post about the sound quality and bonus tracks when you can. I've pre-ordered (but not from expensive Amazon) with regular shipping, so I'm sure it will be awhile before it gets here. Hopefully not!
John Duncan

Post by John Duncan »

Should have my copy by the end of the week, I hope, and will certainly keep you all informed.
Last edited by John Duncan on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rob68

Post by rob68 »

John Duncan wrote:Should have my copy by the end of the week, I hope, and will certainly keep you all informed.
I've heard that it's going to be about a week late. :(
DaleAnne

Post by DaleAnne »

Amazon.com is now saying the CD will be released 1/09/07.
Last edited by DaleAnne on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rob68

Post by rob68 »

DaleAnne wrote:Amazon.com is now saying the CD will be released 1/09/07.
That's right they're cra-zay! :D The guys at RPM in England said the CDs are done and in their office. Plus I got an e-mail from where I ordered it from (CD Universe) saying it's being "prepared" to ship.
DaleAnne

Post by DaleAnne »

You're right, Rob. I just talked to Bob and he said that the release has a slight delay and that the Amazon.com date is something of their own doing.
Last edited by DaleAnne on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rob68

Post by rob68 »

Any chance it's gonna be sold through this site anytime soon?