Re-release of SINCE THERE WERE CIRCLES

General discussion & socializing in a Lind-related vein.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

Lost In The Crash

Post by Lost In The Crash »

Anybody else heard the re-release of Since There Were Circles?

Good presentation by RPM; nice booklet to go with it.

Spoke with Graham at RPM yesterday; they sent us two copies by mistake. Low sales and orders so far.

I did email Bob suggesting he acquires a few of them and sells them from the site as signed copies.
Last edited by Lost In The Crash on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam

Post by Sam »

That was my posting above.

Grant - you really ought to give this forum a good swift kick. I was logged in when I posted the previous message.

Simon
Last edited by Sam on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grant
Admonkeystrator

Post by grant »

*kick kick kick*
Last edited by grant on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Duncan

Post by John Duncan »

Just about to leave for a week in Sweden and Circles dropped on the doormat, so have just played the bonus tracks and just had to let you know what to expect. On first listening they all sound great. SF woman was never a favourite of mine but this version is so different and is a cracker. 'Marlene' floats along in true Lind style. 'I found you' is more uptempo and a good folk rocker. 'Colorado Line' and 'We are children still', are very country. Good sleeve notes but no mention of the website. Gotta go..... taxi waiting !!!
Last edited by John Duncan on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaleAnne

Country?

Post by DaleAnne »

John Duncan wrote: 'Colorado Line' and 'We are children still', are very country.
I wouldn't consider those two songs "very" country. It's true that Doug Dillard plays some nice banjo on Colorado Line but if I had to put those songs in some familiar category it would have to be folk/rock.
This isn't a disparagement of Country Music. I have Hank and Reba in my collection but I just don't think of these two songs by Bob as country.
Last edited by DaleAnne on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lost In The Crash

Dale Anne is correct. Not country by a long shot. No way!
Last edited by Lost In The Crash on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darra

Post by Darra »

I was just over at youtube and saw a video of Bob singing "Spilling Over" posted by 'jguth3'. I'm still stumbling around this site and cannot remember bbcode for adding a link so here it is naked and raw:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6R6GqSJKUNA

I ordered the Circles cd through Amazon just the other day, it should be here next week. I have a lot of catching up to do.
Last edited by Darra on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel H

Post by Daniel H »

I just viewed Bob singing Spilling Over on the link Darra provided. It is a beautiful rendition of one of my favorite Lind songs. I've heard him sing it three times in person, and this is the best version by far. Piercing. And how does he come up with lyrics like those? It's the kind of song I wish the whole world could hear. No wonder Bob is my favorite songwriter and singer...
Last edited by Daniel H on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You'll catch a fleeting glimpse of someone's fading shadow...
Terry

Post by Terry »

I received my copy of Since There Were Circles a couple of days ago. For what it's worth, here's my mini review:

RPM has done an excellent job. Sound quality is excellent, as the digital mastering has vastly improved the dynamic range of the entire album. Unfortunately, the other side of that coin is that the wider dynamic range has somewhat increased the tape noise. (most notable on I Love To Sing since there is no instrumentation to "mask" it.) To their credit, RPM notes on the booklet that due to the age of the master tapes, some noise is present. Let me make it clear though that this does not detract from the overall excellent sound quality. Even though Bob has stated that the original tapes were not re-mixed (only re-mastered), they sound as if they have been. I can hear a lot of new things on many tracks. As for the booklet/liner notes, they too are excellent, including Bob's thoughts on each of the songs. All in all a great package, and long overdue.

Regarding the bonus tracks...Colorado Line is by far the best, an instant "new" (at least to me) Bob Lind classic that should have been included on the original release, even if in place of a few of the weaker cuts (Love Came Riding, Loser, etc.) The remaining bonuses are of approximately equal quality and certainly could have been included on the original release. I still can't decide if I agree with Bob that this version of San Francisco Woman is an improvement over the original's somewhat busy arrangement. For arguement's sake, let's say it's just as good.

Bottom line: a top notch re-release of a cult classic that should never have received cult status simply because it should have been a mainstream smash.

Now, where's that new Bob Lind DVD...?
Last edited by Terry on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel H

Post by Daniel H »

Hey, I like "Love came Riding" and "Loser" :D. (Bet you knew someone would say that :wink: .)

Looking forward to getting the new CD....
Last edited by Daniel H on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You'll catch a fleeting glimpse of someone's fading shadow...
rob68

Post by rob68 »

Thanks for that review, Terry. Everyone's got their own taste, of course, as far as favorite songs. If I were forced to exclude one, it'd probably be Not That I Would Want Her Back. And tape-hiss is usually better that "no-noised" (muffled). Mine's on it's way......finally. :D
Last edited by rob68 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
....I went to the river and I stood on the shore. I stood in the twilight of the life I had before....
rob68

Post by rob68 »

John Duncan wrote:Good sleeve notes but no mention of the website.
Actually the website address is there, toward the end of the biography part of the booklet.

Well, no need to preach to the converted. The CD is great! It really is true that the sheer musicianship alone could justify the purchase. Completely top notch. Everything sounds so alive. That drumming on Colorado Line is perfect. Bonus tracks are all strong. I played I Found You, Colorado Line and We Are Children Still about 10 times each the first day I got the CD.....I haven't done something like that in years. Incredible. I wish the whole world could hear this music.....the general public's respect for Bob would significantly increase. And how bout that one certain pic in the booklet? Ha-ha.....priceless! Excellent stuff all around......thanks so much Bob for all the pleasure and inspiration.
Last edited by rob68 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
....I went to the river and I stood on the shore. I stood in the twilight of the life I had before....
Susanne Gilmore

Post by Susanne Gilmore »

I FINALLY got my copy of "Since There Were Circles". The booklet was a treat, interesting to read Bob's commentary about the songs.

Of the 5 bonus tracks my favorite is Colorado Line. (Well, so far anyway. I've only played the cd once as it just came in the mail an hour ago.) The alternate take of San Francisco Woman will take some getting used to. I miss the kazoos!! LOL. All kidding aside, the version that we are familiar with has always had more of a "New Orleans" feel to it than a San Francisco one IMHO. This version definitely has more of an SF vibe.

I'm so glad that this album has finally been released on cd. Here's hoping that it brings a whole new generation of Lind fans into the fold.
Last edited by Susanne Gilmore on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lost In The Crash

Glowing reviews in MOJO and Record Collector

They may have taken awhile in coming but both UK publications, MOJO a current music monthly that not only has the splendid Sylvie Simmons as contributing-editor but also a healthy respect for past recordings and Record Collector, it looks and reads a bit like a glossy Discoveries or Goldmine (as well as numbering the wonderful and bearded Kingsley Abbott amongst its reviewers), give "Since There Were Circles" four-star write-ups.

Bob Mehr reviewing the CD in February's MOJO wrote:
Lost early '70s gem by US tunesmith.
Riding the mid-'60s folk rock boom, unknown singer-songwriter Lind scored an international chart hit with "Elusive Butterfly" and went on to record a pair of ornate pop albums with producer Jack Nitzsche. He then disappeared from the industry, re-surfacing in 1971 to sign to Capitol and cut this LP with a host of LA country-rock notables - Gene Clark, Bernie Leadon, The Dillards. But its release was delayed, the album died and Lind went on to cult obscurity. Out of print for 35 years, "Circles" has become a sought-after item on eBay. Like Clark's "White Light", the album is a minor masterpiece merging mellow ambience and dark, twisted poetry. Embracing a woozy late night quality, the songs - spare, often haunting ruminations - are enhanced by Lind's singularly slippery singing style. Even among a flood of buried treasure reissues, this stands out.
Bob Mehr

Kingsley Abbott is just as enthused in January's RECORD COLLECTOR:
He was still elusive in 1971
After a worldwide hit with Elusive Butterfly and two fine albums in the mid-60s, Bob Lind disappeared into a haze (partly of his own making), only to resurface with this rare and collectable 1971 album, which he considers his best. Arranged by Jimmy Bond and cut with session players Carol Kaye and John Buck Wilkin (aka Ronny & The Daytonas), the album also included input from Doug Dillard and Gene Clark, whose help raised "Sweet Harriet" especially into a fine example of late folk-rock.
Lind's songs examine the tribulations of relationships, and his heartfelt vocals and melodies take us to places James Blunts can only dream of. While there isn't the pop sheen that Jack Nitzsche's arrangements gave to Lind's earlier work, this album (and the five bonus tracks here) underscores why he is so respected by the likes of Jarvis Cocker, Richard Hawley and The High Liamas. Lind's own reflections on the music are included in a package that makes the material available for the first time in well over 30 years.
Kingsley Abbott

We all know how many great 'lost' albums there are out there, poor promotion perhaps being the main cause. Bob's LP attainted this status on first release, let's hope this time it gains the interest it deserves. With "Since There Were Circles" finally getting the reviews it warrants and with the hope that RPM can get the product in the shops, sales could start to reflect the songs qualities. Fans of Bob Lind could also help. All music fans will know of "Elusive Butterfly", "Cheryl's Coming Home" and maybe some others but are most probably ignorant of this later LP. I'm unsure exactly how it works but by penning a review on Amazon it helps how they promote the CD in their sales list. If fans could take a few minutes to give their opinions it would help others know, what we already know, just how special Bob's music is.

Martin Roberts
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

Once again, for the zillionth time, I say "Thank you Martin" -- a phrase that has been a regular part of my vocabulary for the past three or four years since you gave us your invaluable help with getting this website up and rolling, and then came to our rescue again when the forum got hacked.
I wasn't aware of these reviews. I appreciate your calling them to my attention.
All the best to you in this dazzling, diamond-bright new year.
-- Bob
Last edited by Lind on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.