What are you listening to lately?

General discussion & socializing in a Lind-related vein.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

bob_32_116

What are you listening to lately?

Post by bob_32_116 »

I wonder if this thread has a chance of taking off... other music fora that I have belonged to always seem to have a thread of this nature. I'm sure none of us listening exclusively to Bob Lind.

Lately, I have been listening a lot to a recent release:
Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and Other Stories)

but also something somewhat older:
Anthony Phillips - 1984
For those who don't know,he was a founding member of Genesis, but left the band quite early in their career.

and also something older still:
The Beach Boys - Sunflower/Surf's up (a 2-for-1 issue, two albums on one CD).
After all this time, I don't think anyone has come close to the purity of sound of the Beach Boys at their best.
grant
Admonkeystrator

Re: What are you listening to lately?

Post by grant »

I spend a lot of time listening to the incredible covers of the Onion AV Club Undercover series.

Some of them are awful (which I can tolerate), some are odd and some are awesome.
bill

Post by bill »

Beach Boys !! Could not agree more ...Sunflower / Surf's Up ...two of the best. Saw the BB's at the old Capitol Theater in Passaic NJ after the release of Surf's Up around 1971 ..."hit hard at the battle thats confronting me ..yea..knock down all the roadblocks stumbling me ...throw off all the shackles that are binding me down. WOW ......Long Promised Road. As for recent listening ...just acquired Flash on CD (circa 72 /73) ...Small Beginnings & Children of the Universe !!!
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

Judy Collins - Colors of the Day

A compilation album containing songs from several of her early albums.
Because she was so good at covering other people's songs, I think she is under-rated as a songwriter. The self-penned songs on this disc are at least as good as the ones written by other people.
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

Listening tonight to the first two Crosby,Stills and Nash albums - well actually the second one is with Young.

These guys seem to have been around forever, yet there are several gems on the albums that I didn't know about - this one for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez9bXTY35eY
bill

Post by bill »

Often overlooked from this period is Graham Nash's first solo album "Songs For Beginners." A lost gem is " I Used To Be a King" ...David Cosby remarked how much he loved this song when I saw them perform together back in the seventies.
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

bill wrote:Often overlooked from this period is Graham Nash's first solo album "Songs For Beginners." A lost gem is " I Used To Be a King" ...David Cosby remarked how much he loved this song when I saw them perform together back in the seventies.
Now that's interesting, because on Joni Mitchell's first album there's a song called "I Had a King"... and as you probably know, she and Graham Nash were romantically attached at one time. Coincidence? I doubt it.
rob68

Post by rob68 »

bob_32_116 wrote:
bill wrote:Often overlooked from this period is Graham Nash's first solo album "Songs For Beginners." A lost gem is " I Used To Be a King" ...David Cosby remarked how much he loved this song when I saw them perform together back in the seventies.
Now that's interesting, because on Joni Mitchell's first album there's a song called "I Had a King"... and as you probably know, she and Graham Nash were romantically attached at one time. Coincidence? I doubt it.
Pretty sure I Had A King was written about Joni's first husband, Chuck Mitchell.

The lyrics are self-explanatory.
....I went to the river and I stood on the shore. I stood in the twilight of the life I had before....
grant
Admonkeystrator

Post by grant »

Big chess fans, were they?
bill

Post by bill »

"Cause its time is time in time with your time and its news is captured for the Queen to use." ....:} ..."I've Seen All Good People" by YES ......Gotta love Grants sense of humor ...
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

Last played: The Who - Who's Next

Excellent stuff. Some really good lesser-known songs on the album, such as "The Song Is Over" and "Bargain", as well as classics like "Baba O'Riley" and "Won't Get Fooled Again".

-----------------------------------------------

Now playing: Bob Lind - Finding You Again
Susanne

Post by Susanne »

I found some new music that I really like! Mumford and Sons and The Lumineers. They're old school in a quirky, refreshing way.
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

Lately I have been listening to a bit of Joni Mitchell. I have 6 of her albums on CD plus a couple more recorded years ago to cassette. Been listening to the albums "The Hissing of Summer Lawns" and "Hejira".
RandallSes

Post by RandallSes »

yesterday I heard the rain.lots of recordings for me Vicky carr.
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

Been listening a bit to Suzanne Vega's self-titled first album. I like her for the same reason as I like Joni Mitchell, and for that matter Bob Lind: folkey, but with a bit of an edge.

Currently however I am hearing "Incantations", by Mike Oldfield. I like this much better than the famous Tubular Bells. I always felt that TB was his "Look,this is me, this is what I can do" album, but after that he got down to actually writing and recording really interesting stuff without worrying about showing off. I picked up this album in a budget CD rack, and it's turned out to be one of my favourite acquisitions.