The Sixties

General discussion & socializing in a Lind-related vein.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

bill

The Sixties

Post by bill »

Oh I know how much Bob hates the nostalgia thing. However, recently saw a PBS special revisiting the 60's TV show Hullabaloo. Some interesting guests ....The Animals, Peter & Gordon, Petula Clark, The Zombies, The Lovin Spoonful, The Byrds, The Mamas' and the Papas', The Dave Clark Five, The Cyrkle, Tom Jones, The Turtles, Herman's Hermits, Gary Lewis and the Playboys, The Searchers and on and on. Oh yes and some guy named Bob Lind :D .....Robert ...Love that shirt do you still have it ?

Bill
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Re: The Sixties

Post by Lind »

Hi Bill, The shirt has probably gone the way of love beads and roach clips along with any illusion that those were the good old days. Glad you enjoy the promo (yes, I've seen it). But none of us -- Petula, Zombies, Spoonful, Turtles... -- are getting a dime in residuals. So what has changed really? The industry still treats its bread and butter with contempt and indifference. The exception: ACE Records, a dream company that respects its artists and goes right down to the wire for them. If you've got a little scratch to invest in my music, let me recommend my new CD FINDING YOU AGAIN or the Concert/Documentary BOB LIND: Perspective over the Hullabaloo DVD. Of course you won't get Tom Jones or Gary Lewis. But it's not a perfect world. Thanks for your interest, Bill. Keep on keepin on.
Susanne Gilmore

Post by Susanne Gilmore »

I saw that show on PBS also & enjoyed it tremendously although it made me feel nostalgic and old! Yes, it is a shame that the artists were not compensated, but at least the accompanying pledge drive and sale of cds and dvds are benefitting PBS. After all, somebody has to support Big Bird.
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

Some of the acts mentioned above were, and are, great. Others - no need to name names - I might have enjoyed at the time but if I hear them now I just find them cheesy.

I have said many times that I consider the "Sixventies" to be the single most creative period in popular music. But let's face it, it had its fair share of crap too. I don't believe in nostalgia for nostalgia's sake - and fortunately, neither does Mr Lind. While I consider Don't Be Concerned to be an all-time landmark album, I'm thankful that Finding You Again is not simply Don't Be Concerned Part II.
bill

Post by bill »

I believe this needs to be given some perspective. There is both good and bad music from all periods , 60's, 70's ...albeit all personal taste is arbitrary. To me music is not "nostalgic for nostalgia's sake" but rather music is "art for art's " sake. Some artists grow and some do not and while growing is a good thing it is not the only thing. I own everything Bob has ever put out but also music from artists that have not done anything in 40 years and still give a listen when I am so inclined ...for Art's sake.
pbs tv

Post by pbs tv »

I was the host of that show on pbs and I have actually said on pbs tv "here we are again. just like the 60s and we will not get paid again"
they used it, o.n the show because they probably don't listen to what the artists say. I am proud to be able to present the music of people like bob lind. his songs mean something to ME. I only care about music that means something to ME. is that nostalgia? some of them are old. me too. my grandfather liked elizabeth schwartkopf and it made him happy when he was an old geezer to hear her german voice.
thats's nostalgia.
continue to be a fabulous artist bob. your songs meant something to me
Peter Noone
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

^^ Is this the Peter Noone from Herman's Hermits?
grant
Admonkeystrator

Post by grant »

If it's the host from the PBS show, then yes: http://peternoone.com/forums/topic/60s- ... -in-march/

Howdy, Mr. Noone! Glad you like this music. I like it too - and in my case, it's not nostalgia. Although I guess some songs make me feel nostalgic just because of the song, you know?
Susanne

Post by Susanne »

Perhaps nostalgia is the wrong word. For me, listening to old music triggers memories of different times, places, people and events in my life. Because I still live in the same neighborhood that I grew up in, the triggers are especially strong. I happened to be driving past my old high school recently, and at the same time a Beach Boys song came on the radio. For just the length of a red light, it was 1966 and I could almost see my old classmates walking across the street. Currently, I work with college students who need to improve their writing skills. One of the exercises that I give them is to pick a song and then write a descriptive paragraph about a situation or place that the song reminds them of. They write about noisy, sweaty dance clubs, romantic evenings, cruising around, deceased family members, you name it! I always start them off with something I wrote about a hot summer day at the beach when I first heard Light My Fire on my transistor radio. Nostalgia? I don't like to think of it that way. We should not live in the past, but we should definitely remember the times that brought us to where we are today.
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

A local community radio station has a weekly program called "Woodstock Rock". Last week's playlist gives you an idea:

Freedom - Nobody
Traffic - Paper Sun
The Open Mind - I Feel The Same Way Too
Ashton Gardener & Dyke - Rolling Home
Mandrill - Mandrill
Iguana - Power of Love
Joan Baez - Love Is Just A Four Letter Word
Judee Sill - Down Where The Valleys Are low
Buffy Sainte Marie - A Soulful Shade of Blue
Alice Coltrane - Oh Allah
Beach Boys - Feel Flows
Jimi Hendrix - Freedom
King Crimson - NIght Watch
Wishbone Ash - Handy
Blind Faith - Do What You like
The Band - When You Awake

As you can see, there is quite a variety. There is a lot of psychedelia that I never got to hear back in the day, because at that time the Australian music industry was a bit of a sheltered workshop - radio stations would play the big hits from overseas, but lesser known artists or "fringe" artists from the US or UK were rarely heard here. To be honest, some of what they play is forgettable. I am not into psychedelia for psychedelia's sake. However I nearly leapt out of my chair when I heard the opening bars of "Feel Flows"by the Beach Boys.

They invite people to phone in with their comments and requests, so I telephoned and congratulated him on his Beach Boys taste. I then suggested that at some stage he should play some Bob Lind material. He knew the name straight away, but like most people he was unaware of much beyond Elusive Butterfly - so I am hoping that in a future program he'll play something of Bob's and educate the listeners of Perth!
Last edited by bob_32_116 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RandallSes

Post by RandallSes »

don't be concerned part of my life helped me in good and bad times.All human life is there. Ta Bob
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

Mondrian wrote: Society was attempting to divest itself of the shackles of the 50s. OK, the 60s weren't perfect - but the beat the hell out of the 50s.
You won't get any argument from me there. I never liked the music of the 50's much either, with just the occasional exception, such as the Everly Brothers. It wasn't really until about 1966 that I got seriously interested in popular music.
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

^^ Just be sure not to throw the baby out with the bathwater. There is still some great music being written and recorded, though you do have to seek it out.