Elusive Butterfly

General discussion & socializing in a Lind-related vein.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

minnibutterfly

Elusive Butterfly

Post by minnibutterfly »

Hey Bob...:) Finally some great information on you and your music!
My favorite song is of, course, Is Elusive Butterfly, and I must tell you why.
Back in 1990, when I met the man, with whom I fell in love with at first sight,I knew we would be togther always(took 16 years but we are FINALLY) and this was his favoriste and he played it for me and said that this was our song. Ever since then I have bought CD after CD as I kept loosing it over the years, due to life and kids, but I now have it and piad a pretty penny as its not a normally stocked CD in the local store.
I sat and listend to the words and it just fits us so perfectly. THANK YOU!!!!!!
We are in the process of designing a tattoo for the both of with lyrice from this song, and part will be on him, and part on me.. I guess when its done, I will have to come and post a copy for you to see.. this will mark our 2ed year offically together, and what a fitting tribiute to you as well as us, and our love!
You going to be in the Orlando area anytime soon.. say in October???
anyway.. thank you
Mary
Last edited by minnibutterfly on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mary~ AKA Butterfly~
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

Hey Mary,
Welcome to the board.
A pleasure to hear from you.

Minnibutterfly writes:

We are in the process of designing a tattoo for the both of with lyrice from this song, and part will be on him, and part on me..

I sure hope the artists gets the words right.

I'll tell you what I tell very newbee who signs onto the board: Please listen to the new stuff and be aware that I have a new CD out (check it out in the CD Reviews section of the site.

Best wishes to you and your man.
Last edited by Lind on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel H

Post by Daniel H »

My wife and I have been married 30 years today. For this special anniversary, my wife gave me a card with a picture of (what else?) a butterfly on it. She knows I love butterflys and she knows why. If any song is our song, "Elusive Butterfly" is. I played it for her the night we fell in love, which was March 8, 1974. We give each other cards with picures of butterflys on them every year on March 8 to celebrate that occasion. I played Butterfly for her that night because it was (and is) the best example I have of something which gives me an experience C.S. Lewis called "joy"--an incredible longing for "something I'm not sure of" which eludes capture or definition.

By all means, get hold of as much of Bob's music as you can. His versatility is amazing. Most of his post-Butterfly stuff will knock you on your butt.
Last edited by Daniel H on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You'll catch a fleeting glimpse of someone's fading shadow...
rob68

Post by rob68 »

It's finally surfaced........ 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRAC1IURxFs
Last edited by rob68 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
....I went to the river and I stood on the shore. I stood in the twilight of the life I had before....
grant
Admonkeystrator

Post by grant »

Oh, man. I gotta make some links to those toot sweet....
Last edited by grant on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Susanne Gilmore

Post by Susanne Gilmore »

Watching that 1966 video clip brought back many memories! Damn, I'm gonna have to ditch the dial-up connection though - it took forever to view it!!
Last edited by Susanne Gilmore on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaleAnne

Oh yeah!

Post by DaleAnne »

That is just too precious.
Last edited by DaleAnne on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bob_32_116

Pure magic

Post by bob_32_116 »

I have listened to this song a thousand times... but when I started this video it brought back the way I felt on hearing this song the very first time back in 1966. I do not care that the sound quality was crap (well at least it's crap on my computer's internal speaker) ... I do not care that the image is in black and white and a little fuzzy ... never mind the tacky stage set... right from the opening chords I was transported back to some magical land of my mind where I am always 17 and beginning to realise for the first time all the joys and sorrows this world has to offer. To see Bob play as well as hearing him makes me wish once more that his singing career had not come to a screeching halt in the way it did. He might then have done some tours further afield and I might have had the chance to see and hear him in person.

This surely was pop music's finest hour.
Last edited by bob_32_116 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lost In The Crash

Hello

Post by Lost In The Crash »

Hello, nice site :)
Last edited by Lost In The Crash on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jeffbenton

Post by jeffbenton »

Yes, those were the days, my friends...

You would have thought I was the Fuller Brush man.

I took my old record player and the Don't Be Concerned LP to school with me (2nd year at my jr. college), and played the darn thing for anyone who would listen!

An absolutely mind blowing musical experience.

Later that year, I re-recorded the album onto reel-to-reel tape to take with me when I joined the Air Force. As you might expect, all my service buddies heard the music too!

My favorites were Counting, Unlock The Door, Truly Julie's Blues, Dale Anne, and It Wasn't Just The Morning (in addition to EB, of course).

Thanks for the memories, Bob!
Last edited by jeffbenton on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LindaD

Post by LindaD »

Bob,

Thank you for “Elusive Butterfly”. In 1963, I met the love of my life. My parents did not approve. Three years later, my parents decided to move away from Jacksonville, FL to Louisiana. Before we left, he told me that one day he would find me, “even in Louisiana”.

After we arrived in Louisiana, I received one letter from him. He closed the very short letter with, PS I love you. We moved two more times in the next two years. Of course, this was pre-computer, pre-email, pre-cable, and pre-hope of ever finding people who moved out of your life.

Your song, “Elusive Butterfly” carried me through those early teen years. Then, 11 years later, I was lying in bed one morning when I heard the tragic news...several members of a rock group en-route to a concert in Baton Rouge, LA were killed in an airplane crash. Bob, the young boy I fell in love with on the banks of a Florida canal was dead.

I cannot tell you the pain I suffered. However, eventually, I understood the miracle in his death. At that time, 1977, I did not listen to rock music. I had never heard of his band. I knew he sang at teen dances in Jacksonville, but we were kids then. Two years prior to the crash, in Houston, TX I read a tiny article in Rolling Stone. When I saw his name as lead singer of a group sweeping England, my immediate reaction was, “wouldn’t he get the big head to see a rock star with the same name”? I never dreamed it was he. Then, the news that morning was on a country western station. If his band had not been en-route to Baton Rouge (only 1 1/2 hours from my home), it is unlikely the small CW radio station would have carried the news.

So, Bob, as he promised, he found me...it was in his death, but he did find me.

“Elusive Butterfly” continued to strengthen me for many years…not just the lyrics, but also the beautiful gentle melody. A few years ago, I went back to Jacksonville, visited some of his family and his grave, and found answers for many of my questions.

Thank you again, Bob. Even today, when I listened to your song on the web, I could feel those same bittersweet memories of first love.
Last edited by LindaD on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

Hey Linda, Welcome to the board. It's good to have you with us.
I'm always amazed at the places these songs go and the things they do after I write them.
It's good to know my music played a part in helping you get through an impossible time.
Hope you enjoy the new songs too and that you stay close to the site.