Pulp - We Love Life Deluxe

Share favorite lyrics, swap guitar tabs and talk about the songs.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

bob_32_116

Re: Pulp - We Love Life Deluxe

Post by bob_32_116 »

fredthe3rd wrote:Hi,

I don't know what the rules are on this sort of thing, I thought seeing as there's a song called Bob Lind on the album We Love Life by Pulp (the reason I am now a Lind fan!), it might be ok for me to tell people on this site about a petition to try and get a re-release of that album with unheard demos included?

If its ok to do so, I'll add a link to the web address.

Is anyone on here a Pulp fan as a result of that song?
I do like that particular song quite a lot. I have only heard a handful of other songs by Pulp, including the ubiquitous "Disco 2000", and I thought they were OK but nothing so special as to make me feel "Wow, I must have everything this band his recorded".

I certainly don't see why this topic should be disallowed on this board,especially as Bob Lind is on good terms with Jarvis Cocker.
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Re: Pulp - We Love Life Deluxe

Post by Lind »

Hey Fred the Third and Bob Numbers,
Indeed. "Good terms" is an understatement. He and his long-time friend Richard Hawley are two of the most generous, gracious and ego-less guys on earth. They've both done so much for me, never missing an opportunity to give me better visibility in England where they're both MegaStars. The song "Bob Lind" came to my attention this way:
Like many Americans, I had never heard of Pulp. Six years ago I got an email from a fellow I'd never met. He told me, "My name is Jarvis Cocker, I'm with a band called Pulp. I've written this song that was heavily influenced by your style. I sort of grew up listening to you. I never named the song, we've always just called it 'that Bob Lind song.' But now we've recorded it and we want to release it. With your permission, we'd like to call the song "Bob Lind." of course if you don't want us to we won't."
I Googled Pulp and found out they're one of the hottest bands in Europe.
I'm sure I would have said yes anyway, but that cinched it.
Meanwhile, I started reading interviews with a guy named Richard Hawley who was singing my praises all over the British Press, telling about how he and his friend Jarvis used to play my records constantly when they were teenagers.
The following year, I came over to tour England behind the ACE Records re-release of my first two albums. Jarvis and Richard came to hear me at the club called The Luminaire. I got to know them a little.
And in 2009 when I went back, the two of them came onstage with me at The END OF THE ROAD Festival.
I was virtually unknown there at that festival. But Richard and Jarvis showing me that kind of respect -- to come on stage and back an unknown singer songwriter -- gave me instant status and acceptance.
One of the proudest moments of my resurgent career.
Only a tiny 30-second clip remains of that performance. But you can see it if you YouTube "Bob Lind, Richard Hawley, Jarvis Cocker"
Both those guys are saints in my eyes.