Greetings from Aurora High alum

General discussion & socializing in a Lind-related vein.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

bobbieblueeyes

Greetings from Aurora High alum

Post by bobbieblueeyes »

Hello, Bob--I'm glad to have "caught up" with you again. You never knew me, by the way; I was a class or two behind at AHS. Back in the day when that was the only high school in town. I always enjoyed seeing you in our assemblies. Didn't you play with a couple of other guys back then?? Anyway, I just wanted to say hello. I'm also glad you've survived all the rough stuff in your life.
I have to say that Elusive Butterfly was always one of my favorites. I had the album for the longest time. It disappeared during one of my moves.

best wishes always,
Cheryl Wood
Class of 1962
Aurora, Colorado
Last edited by bobbieblueeyes on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

Welcome to the board, Cheryl. Good to have you with us.
Yeah that was me up there in the school assemblies. Me and Jerry Valdez and the Moonlighters. We played dangerous Rhythm and Blues while everyone else in the show was doing songs from South Pacific and Damn Yankees.
We wore black shirts, black pants, black shoes and yellow ties.
Tell me we weren't the coolest band on Peoria Street.
Stay with us fellow Trojan. Great to have your input.

(Note to the rest of you: Yes. We were the Aurora Trojans and had to carry that name with us to every away game and track meet in the Denver area. But it made us tough -- the boy-named-sue principle.)
Last edited by Lind on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fowlbird

Re: Greetings from Aurora High alum

Post by fowlbird »

Hi, My name is John Fowler. I played rhythm guitar for Jerry Valdez and the Moonlighters back in 59/60. I only played a few times at Firemans Hall ect. but have the best memories of those days. I was not a good guirtarist but available. I also played the drums ocassionally. I definately remember the black outfits, they were very cool in the day. I also remember a sax player who came along and really changed the nature of the band. I cannot remember any names other than Jerry and Mike, our regular drummer, shame on me for that! The band really became a local sensation. I then left for Japan with my folks (Air Force) and unfortunately lost contact with everyone in Aurora. I rememer us making two records, "Aint that Loving You Baby and Someting on Your Mind". I think we sold about 12 copies. These are nice memories to have. I am really glad I found you. John
Last edited by fowlbird on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

Welcome to the board, John. I think I had left the band by the time you joined. But yes, Mike Corrigan played drums. I think Jerry was playing bass around that time and the two guitar players I remember were Dave Williams and Bill Brummette.
I think I remember hearing those Jimmy Reed and Bobby Marchand covers.
Good to have you with us.
Bill Freeman

Post by Bill Freeman »

Bob,

Did you run track (and write poetry) in Baltimore before moving to Colorado?

KHS '61 hurdler
Last edited by Bill Freeman on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

Yes. Bill, what a memory you have. I was at Kenmore High School in Baltimore, but only for about three months during my Junior year. Then back to graduate at Aurora the next year.
I'm not sure that what I was writing back then could be classified as "poetry" by any but the most kind and tolerant readers, but I was on the Junior Varsity track team.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

Lind wrote: I was on the Junior Varsity track team.

Ha Ha! "You might have seen me runnin'..."
Last edited by Danny Harris on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some may call it wander-lust, some may call it crazy.
I don't call it anything - I Just Let It Take Me."
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

That's interesting...

Someone on another forum advanced the theory that musical talent and sporting prowess rarely go hand in hand.

My theory is that even if you started out being good at both, you would need to devote most of your time to the one you choose to follow and leave no time for the other.

I can only think of one person who has been at the top of his chosen sport AND had a number one record - there may be others....
Last edited by bob_32_116 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Freeman

Post by Bill Freeman »

Bob,

I have a copy of the Baltimore County Championships news clipping from The Sun--you were second in the 100 and anchored the 440y relay, which won and set a JV record.
Thought I recognized your voice when I first heard "Elusive Butterfly"

Good times, and loved the record.