Help with identifying LInd song

Share favorite lyrics, swap guitar tabs and talk about the songs.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

woobag

Help with identifying LInd song

Post by woobag »

Haven't heard it since the late sixties but the lyrics have the following (I think!)

'When you're so far down even the gutter looks up to you
'Come down and walk beside me in the sun'

Anyone know which song they may belong to?
Last edited by woobag on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeffbenton

Help with identifying Lind song

Post by jeffbenton »

Truly Julie's Blues -- one of Bob's finest, in my opinion.

Hey Bob -- I remember that you mentioned your "Julie Trilogy" when I heard you in concert at The Troubador many years ago....any recollections of the companion pieces to Truly Julie's Blues?
Last edited by jeffbenton on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
woobag

Post by woobag »

Thanks Jeff, much appreciated,

Simon
woobag

Post by woobag »

Just purchased it (and a few other Bob songs) from itunes.

Fantastic. All thanks to the forum!
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

Wow Jeff, what an incredible memory.
Incidentally, I don't remember welcoming you to the board. If I neglected it, consider yourself welcomed. Good to have you with us.
It baffles me the way some of you remember details about my early songs that have for the most part escaped me.
But in this case, I do have some traces clinging to the ol' brain cells. I recall that there were three songs with Julie's name in them.
*Julie's Song
*Truly Julie's Blues
and
*Julie's Birthday Song.
To my knowledge, the other two were never recorded. But TJB was covered by several groups, including the Cascades (I think).
If anyone remembers the other artists who covered it, please feel free to post their names here.
Last edited by Lind on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lost In The Crash

Post by Lost In The Crash »

Never recorded, Bob?

Now - there's a cue. :wink:
Last edited by Lost In The Crash on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seeker2be

Hint , Hint, Hint

Post by Seeker2be »

We all continue to clamor for more of the past unrecorded tunes and for some literary aspects of our favorite singer!!! Hint, Hint, Hint. People in college used to call this a brilliant grasp of the obvious. Ed
Last edited by Seeker2be on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bob_32_116

TJB

Post by bob_32_116 »

I also happen to think TJB is one of Bob's best. It is also one of his most Dylan-like, that being meant in a nice way, meaning a LOT of verses with a LOT of good lyrics.
Those who have read my other postings will know that I am not a total fan of Dylan, but he is undeniably good with words.
Last edited by bob_32_116 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bill

Post by bill »

Hey ......What ever happened to the "pressure" we all put on Mr Lind to do a re-recording of "Butterfly" with the xtra verses ?

Bob....??

Thanks

Bill

"You might have seen me running through the long abandoned ruins of the dreams you left behind."
Last edited by bill on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel H

Post by Daniel H »

Bob_32_116--Bob Lind is a better lyricist than Bob Dylan (all these "Bobs" are confusing!) That statement probably sounds sacrilegious to some people, but I'm serious. Bob L. is a better poet than Bob D., and his art has improved over the years. I'm certainly not denigrating Mr. Dylan in any way, I just think Mr. Lind has been vastly underappreciated, which is a big loss for the music world. Think of how many other great songwriters must be getting overlooked as well.
Last edited by Daniel H on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You'll catch a fleeting glimpse of someone's fading shadow...
bob_32_116

Bobs

Post by bob_32_116 »

Yes there is something magical about that name "Bob" ... but then I would say that wouldn't I?
:)
I agree with what you say about Dylan, though I do think Dylan does do some very good lyrics. My main problems with Dylan are: (1) his vocal delivery, which even his fans must admit is an acquired taste, and (2) he often goes ON and ON. In my opinion Lind shows Dylan how it should be done.
Daniel H wrote:Bob_32_116--Bob Lind is a better lyricist than Bob Dylan (all these "Bobs" are confusing!) That statement probably sounds sacrilegious to some people, but I'm serious. Bob L. is a better poet than Bob D., and his art has improved over the years. I'm certainly not denigrating Mr. Dylan in any way, I just think Mr. Lind has been vastly underappreciated, which is a big loss for the music world. Think of how many other great songwriters must be getting overlooked as well.
Last edited by bob_32_116 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lost In The Crash

Curious comments, Daniel. I appreciate that opinion can argue that "A's" music is better than "B's" music, but how have you arrived at the conclusion that Bob Dylan is an inferior poet and lyricist to Bob Lind? I'm not a fan (I don't like the word "fan") of Bob Dylan, and I can take or leave most of his work, but he's stood the test of time. Whether you like him or not, he's an internationally respected artist/songwriter/poet.

I dare say Bob Dylan does go on-and-on-and-on-and-on . . . . . . . . .
But so did Thomas Gray, Oliver Goldsmith, Samuel Taylor Coleridge, T S Eliot, Ezra Pound and countless other classical poets.
Last edited by Lost In The Crash on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

by the way Daniel some of us are still waiting for your comments about the folk music festival. Are you still planning on telling us anything?
Last edited by Guest on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel H

Post by Daniel H »

I knew some people would find my comments about Lind vs. Dylan curious, if not obtuse and irritating. Sweeping statements like the ones I made will always raise eyebrows, especially if they are unelaborated, like mine were. They can reek of intellectual laziness, an unawareness of and indifference to the necessity of logic and facts.

But the problem with expressing an aesthetic preference for the work of one artist over another is that the preference is largely subjective. It cannot be proved, even if the suggestion is patently absurd ("The 1910 Fruitgum Company wrote more meaningful lyrics than Bob Dylan"). The observation is untrue, but its falsehood cannot be demonstrated, certainly not empirically. So my statement should have been something such as, "Bob Lind's lyrics are more poetic and stimulating to me than Bob Dylans's lyrics". People will certainly have opinions that differ from mine on that, but their opinions (even if they are more informed than me) will still be primarily subjective. After all, I'm not saying that Tiny Tim wrote lyrics more poetic and stimulating to me than Dylan--I'm saying Bob Lind did and does. I don't think the comparison is outrageous.

My larger point is simply that Bob L. is (in my small and admittedly biased opinion) grossly underappreciated, and that is a shame. It is very frustrating to see a talent like his go largely unrecognized.

For the record, I like Bob Dylan. My comments were in no way meant to imply he is not a great artist! Even his long lyrics don't bother me--I don't care how long something is if it is good. (I'm finishing "Harlot's Ghost" right now, another masterpiece by Mr. Mailer, one of my favorite lunatics--over 1,300 enjoyable pages.) Dylan deserves to be internationally respected. But even he acknowledges his designation as a "prophet" is sentimental silliness which he never sought or expected. That doesn't mean he isn't a gifted musician and poet, though.

So I apologize for the sloppiness of my original comments--maybe my attempts at clarification have made them seem a little less slipshod. I also apologize I have not posted my observations of the music festival yet. I am finding them very difficult to write, for a variety of reasons. But I will write and post them.
Last edited by Daniel H on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You'll catch a fleeting glimpse of someone's fading shadow...
Lost In The Crash

Daniel: couching vacuous and inane ideas in portentous prose impresses no one. I can’t even argue with you, because I’ve no idea what you’re on about.

However, I really don’t believe that Bob Lind is grossly under-appreciated. So far as I can make out, he moved away from the public eye a very long time ago; you can’t do that and remain appreciated by anything other than a dedicated fan-base. And if Bob’s talent is in any way unrecognised – which I seriously doubt - it’s for the same reasons.

I’ve neither met nor spoken with Bob Lind, but I do have the feeling he’s not really interested in getting back into the sharp end of the music business.

Bob is a superior songwriter, though. I can’t see anybody disputing that.