Sweet Harriet

Share favorite lyrics, swap guitar tabs and talk about the songs.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

bob_32_116

Sweet Harriet

Post by bob_32_116 »

I listen to Sweet Harriet, and I hear the echoes of at least 4 other songs in there. Not suggesting that Bob was guilty of any plagiarism, the tune is (as far as I know) original, but I can detect the influences....

I hear the opening chords, and at first I think here comes Remember the Rain.

A little further in, where the first verse segues back into the chorus, I hear Don McLean doing Castles In The Air (the original fast version, not the slowed down version that was later released as a single).

Later on the song start to sound musically and lyrically like Gentle On My Mind.

And at the very end, where Bob does a little "vocal instrumental" just before the fadeout, I am reminded of Harry Nilsson singing Everybody's Talkin'.

I am wondering how many more songs I will hear in Sweet Harriet as I listen to it more!
Last edited by bob_32_116 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Susanne

Sweet Harriet

Post by Susanne »

I tried to reply to this yesterday ... but it didn't work. If I remember what I said, it was something like "Castles in the Air" and "Everbody's Talkin'" were both written after Sweet Harriet, so if there was any unconscious plagarism working, it would have been the other way around. However, as someone once said, there are only so many notes, chords & so many ways to arrange them. With all the music that has been written, there's bound to be some things that sound like other things.

And you will never convince me that George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord" is really the Chiffon's "He's So Fine"!!!!
Last edited by Susanne on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

Thanks for springing to my defense, Susanne. You're right. "Harriet" preceded those two songs as far as I know.
But BobNumbers, as a matter of fact, you have put your finger on something. "Sweet Harriet" is one of the few songs I've listened to later and realized I burglarized, albeit without meaning to.
None of the songs you mention though.
I inadvertently lifted a major hunk of melody from an old Association song called "Everything That Touches You."
The rhythm is different, and the accents, but I could probably have some serious 'splainin to do if Terry Kirkland (the writer) wanted to get nasty about it.
Last edited by Lind on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Susanne

Sweet Harriet

Post by Susanne »

Bob, that's interesting. I remember buying the 45 of the Association's "Everything That Touches You" and would never in a million years have connected that song with Sweet Harriet. Now I'm gonna have to find it, along with that darn plastic center gizmo & give it a spin & listen carefully.

(by the way, this is me Susanne, not a guest. For some reason I am having trouble posting as myself)
Last edited by Susanne on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny Harris

Re: Sweet Harriet

Post by Danny Harris »

Ah yes..."In my most secure moments..etc" - like it.

But, as we have already noted, chords ands notes however produced can sometimes coincide...

"...and We Are Children Still..."
Last edited by Danny Harris on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some may call it wander-lust, some may call it crazy.
I don't call it anything - I Just Let It Take Me."
Jim Mcintyre

Re: Sweet Harriet

Post by Jim Mcintyre »

Hi Bob

I can see the similarity with Everything that touches you but Standing Still from the first association album has a few similarities to Mr Zero so i think your quits on that one

Jim
we may have touched