Do you have log-in problems?

When things don't work the way they should.

Moderator: Jill

grant
Admonkeystrator

Post by grant »

Wow, that's weird and annoying. Let's see.

When you log in, it appears to be accepting your password, correct? Like, you click that little blue link up at the top of the screen, log in, and it changes to "Log out [ jeffbenton ]", right?

And... are there any security settings on your browser that might be set to block cookies? (or "don't accept any cookies" or similar?)
Last edited by grant on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rob68

Post by rob68 »

Just a guess, but it seems like he's trying to log-in after clicking 'post a reply', which never works for registered members, only guests.......Jeff, always log-in at the top with user name and password, and then go to where you want to reply.......it's always trouble-free that way, for me anyway........logging OUT smoothly is another story........ :D
Last edited by rob68 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
....I went to the river and I stood on the shore. I stood in the twilight of the life I had before....
Lost In The Crash

Post by Lost In The Crash »

Grant--

I'll try to answer your first question first. (Thank you also Rob68!)

How's this?! I usually log in at the top of Post a Reply, and then go back the initial Message Board sceen, to make sure that it shows me logged on as a registered user. Then when I come back to the Post a Reply screen, the blue text at the top remains 'Log in', rather than changing to 'Log out'.

What the #@!!? Thanks--jeffbenton
Last edited by Lost In The Crash on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rob68

Post by rob68 »

Anonymous wrote: I usually log in at the top of Post a Reply, and then go back the initial Message Board sceen, to make sure that it shows me logged on as a registered user. Then when I come back to the Post a Reply screen, the blue text at the top remains 'Log in', rather than changing to 'Log out'.
I'm not trying to steal Grant's job, but.....No one can 'log-in' from the Post A Reply page......that's for Guests......if you'll notice, that page doesn't ask for your password, so how could you log-in from there? You can't. Registered Members must log-in at the top of the forum page first with correct user name and password, then go to wherever you want to post. Hope this helps. :D
....I went to the river and I stood on the shore. I stood in the twilight of the life I had before....
Susanne Gilmore

Log-in Problems

Post by Susanne Gilmore »

I was having the same problems until I clicked on the "log me in automatically each time" box. When the board was re-done after the hackers came to visit, my automatic log-in was gone & for a while I couldn't figure out why I was having the same problem that Jeff is having. Then I just clicked on the "automatic" box again and things have been fine since then. It doesn't ask you for your user name because it allready knows who you are - and doesn't make you type the matching code at the bottom each time either.
Last edited by Susanne Gilmore on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaleAnne

auto log in

Post by DaleAnne »

The automatic Log in doesn't work for me, whether I use the Log in at the top of the Message Board or the one at the bottom.
And, I still don't see the alerts for the new messages.
Last edited by DaleAnne on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lost In The Crash

Post by Lost In The Crash »

Thanks for all the help. This time I logged in on the first Message Board page, per Rob68's suggestion. Let's see what happens. Thanks again. jeffbenton
Last edited by Lost In The Crash on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeffbenton

Post by jeffbenton »

This time I filled in the Automatic Log In area on the first page. Here goes.. jeffbenton
Last edited by jeffbenton on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeffbenton

Post by jeffbenton »

Thanks one more time to Grant, Rob68, and Susanne for the suggestions.
Don't be concerned, it did not harm me!
Last edited by jeffbenton on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rob68

Post by rob68 »

I'm having to log-in twice to be able to actually post.......no big deal, just thought I'd mention it......sometimes I also have to log-out 2 or more times to actually show my name as logged out.
grant
Admonkeystrator

Post by grant »

Hmm. That sounds like a cookie problem. I wonder if clearing out yer cookies or else doing something like changing your password would help....

I say this thinking I have about a 73% likelihood of being correct, but it's better than 50/50.

Why this happens, I don't know, but it does from time to time. To me, too.
Last edited by grant on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

grant wrote:I suggest leaving a small saucer of milk in front of your keyboard overnight, and as you do so, reciting, "Net-wight, net-wight, ever fair, ever bright, drink your fill and dance tonight, smile on my RAM and gigabytes, my WAN and NAT and proxy sites."
If that doesn't work, try drawing a pentagram around your PC and sprinkle holy water on your hard drive while reciting the Lord's Prayer backwards.
Last edited by bob_32_116 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bob_32_116

Logging in - don't just press Enter

Post by bob_32_116 »

I had a lot of trouble with logging in. I'd enter my username and password and press Enter. This works on most sites, and it appeared to work on this one - but when the page reappeared it stilll showed me as a guest!

Finally I realised that although it looks as though the login has worked,it does not actually perform the login unless you click the button labelled Log In rather than just pressing Enter.
Last edited by bob_32_116 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maddo

Post by Maddo »

Hey thanks Bob. I have been having awful trouble logging in, I will try this solution. And please be kind to out Lions boys when they are over your way this weekend.
:D :D