That Verve album

General discussion & socializing in a Lind-related vein.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

Bangkok Barry

That Verve album

Post by Bangkok Barry »

I think I remember reading that Bob didn't agree to it's release, but I thought there were many fine songs on the Verve album that was released after the success of Elusive Butterfly. Remember any of these?
Fennario
Wandering
The Times They Are A-Changin'
Black Night
White Snow
Cool Summer
Hey Nellie, Nellie
The Swan
What Color Are You?
Gold Mine Blues
Hard Road

I especially loved Black Night, White Snow and Hard Road. I'm lucky enough to have the album, but I wish it had been issued on CD. Going to try transfering it soon. Hope it works.

I never did like the Capitol album though. Can't remember why, but maybe the lyrics just didn't hit me as hard.
Last edited by Bangkok Barry on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rob68

Post by rob68 »

Yes Barry, I love the Verve album as well.........great stuff!
Last edited by rob68 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
....I went to the river and I stood on the shore. I stood in the twilight of the life I had before....
grant
Admonkeystrator

Post by grant »

A CD -- hmm. That sounds interesting.

I think Bob hates the Verve thing, but I've always been a little curious.
Last edited by grant on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

Indeed, Bob hates the Verve thing.

But thanks for your interest Bangkok Barry.

I'm not sure of the status of that ELUSIVE BOB LIND album but I'm hoping the masters are either in deep space or at the bottom of the most remote sea.

Be warned that some of the titles on that album are not accurate and some of the songs credited to me were actaully written by other writers. (The Verve people never asked for my input before releasing it without my permission).
It's patently obvious, of course, that I didn't write "The Times They Are A-Changin" but some people may be less aware that "Hey Nellie Nellie" (a particularly astute and well-crafted song) was written by Shel Silverstein and masterfully recorded (before me) by Walt Conley and many others.

As Ive said before, the Verve album is an embarrassment to me but I never question others' tastes. I'm grateful to have produced work that people like, and once these songs leave my hands (or voice box) they're on their own.
Last edited by Lind on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
markmalmgren

the album

Post by markmalmgren »

bob, it's really amazing to me that you are embarassed by that album... i have two copies (i wore out the first one)... it helped me through the turmoil of the 60's...keeping me focused on the positive and creative when many of us were descending into oblivion and chaos... even if you didn't write all of any of the songs... you presented them with power and grace and emotions that transformed them into what they are, which is beautiful...

but then again, i am a painter and i tend to be embarassed by my early paintings but others seem to draw energy from them.... can i send you one or two by the way?

so i figure, you have to be easy on yourself and nonjudgmental with your own work, taking into account that there is something creative in it, even if you can't currently (or ever) see it....

mark malmgren
clemson sc
Last edited by markmalmgren on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seeker2be

the verve album

Post by Seeker2be »

Well spoken. Bob had a lot of wonderful songs unrecorded and appears to think little of them but they and he are all fantastic. Any way to get the verve album into Mp3 format so we can all obtain it? And appreciate it and you would be making a great contribution by doing this. I know I have had CD made from Albums at http://www.ferrismastering.com/ and uploaded them onto my computer. Thanks , Ed
Last edited by Seeker2be on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lost In The Crash

Post by Lost In The Crash »

Ed,

Probably most of the regulars on this site transfer vinyl to CD occasionally; there's nothing difficult or mysterious about it. The cleaner the copy you can find, the better it will transfer to CD. Most of the software which takes out he pops and crackles seems to flatten out the sound during the process. I gave my copy to Mike for the station library. I'm sure if you mail him on the SOTS site, he'll send you a copy in mp3 format. Big file, though. 2.5 - 3 megs a song, I should think.
Bob might lend you his copy. :twisted:

Simon
Last edited by Lost In The Crash on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seeker2be

Sots Site?

Post by Seeker2be »

I would love to download the verve album. Who do I contact? What site? Thanks, Ed
rob68

Re: Sots Site?

Post by rob68 »

Seeker2be wrote:I would love to download the verve album. Who do I contact? What site? Thanks, Ed
Ed, e-mail me if you want mp3s of the Verve album.
Last edited by rob68 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
....I went to the river and I stood on the shore. I stood in the twilight of the life I had before....
Seeker2be

Oh no not the Verve Album again!!!!

Post by Seeker2be »

Well I just got a copy of it (the Verve album) and it reminded where I was when I first listened to it: Around 1968? I went to Wallich's Music City at Hollywood and Vine in Hollywood, CA. They had a unique record store with Sound proof bouths where you could listen to records on high quality record players to see if you wanted to buy them. Having been spoiled by Bob's Don't Be Concerned album and having the good fortune of listening to him mutiply times at the Troubadour and Ice House I have to agree with him about his disdain for the verve album but there are a few major redeeming qualities: He has just gotten better and better with the years. and all you have to do is compare and see how much he has grown. Bob is a complete part of his own wonderful songs and not a part of those for the most part owned by others. I always get the impression that Bob has all the qualities we aspire to Honesty, Integrity and a very important sense of humility. He purveys it in his music and his sincere and humbling interviews. We love you Bob. Thanks for painting wonderful pictures in a world that too often rushes past the good stuff. Ed
Susanne Gilmore

The Verve Album

Post by Susanne Gilmore »

Seeker to Be - what a small world! That same Wallich's Music City is where I bought the "Photographs of Feeling" album. I can still remember NOT wanting to listen to it in the store because I wanted to hurry home and savor listening to it in the privacy of my own room.
Last edited by Susanne Gilmore on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bill

"Photographs"

Post by bill »

I only took the plastic cover off my "Photographs of Feeling" this past year, some 40 years after purchasing. Thanks.

Bill
Last edited by bill on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rob68

Post by rob68 »

Found a way to remove most (and on some songs, all) of the cheesy strings from this album......makes for a much more organic listen.