Lind Via Hoover

Share favorite lyrics, swap guitar tabs and talk about the songs.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Lind Via Hoover

Post by Lind »

I want to let you know about something that excites the hell out of me:
Jamie Hoover of the Spongetones has just released a four-song CD called LIND ME FOUR,
The songs are all covers from my first album, DON'T BE CONCERNED: ("Unlock the Door," "Counting," "Drifter's Sunrise," and "Elusive Butterfly.")
As most of you know, I rarely revisit my musical past. In fact I only vaguely remembered the first three of those songs when Jamie wrote me asking permission to cut them. (Incidentally, that's class right there. He didn't have to ask me. Once a song has been released, anyone can record it. It was just professional courtesy.) He e-mailed me the lyrics to make sure he had them right, and as I read them I felt like they were ancient museum pieces.
Something in me thought: "Why does a guy as hip and current as Jamie Hoover want to zombie up these corpses?" But there's no way I can deny anyone, much less an artist of Jamie's stature, the right to record my work.
A couple months later he sent me the rough mixes and I got it. Man he brings these things to life. He's made me proud of them again -- I'm thinking, "Gees, those ARE pretty good songs."
This of course says far more about Jamie and his passion and artistry than it does about me as a songwriter.
Nonetheless. I recommend this CD to any fan of my songs. He sings them with, zest, fire and heart and there's not much more this proud father could want for his musical kids.
You can find links to read reviews (all good so far), check out his album notes, listen to samples, and buy the disc here:
http://www.jamiehoover.net/news.html

BTW, if you're not aware of Jamie's work -- as a single, with the Spongetones and with the VanDeleckis -- I urge you to check out his other records while you're there on his site.
And if you do get the CD, feel free to come back here and post your comments on it.
Last edited by Lind on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lost In The Crash

Jamie Hoover

Post by Lost In The Crash »

I've not only heard of Jamie Hoover, Bob, but since you originally mentioned him sometime ago, I've been in regular contact with him. We've swapped material, and I've got and listened to five of his albums. My main interest was his interpretation of the 60's Merseysound; I've never heard anything better - and I was in the thick of the Merseysound back in the 1960's. He reproduces the sound better than some of the retro/nostalgic groups who are playing in and around Liverpool today.
His solo album is superb; he really is a quality engineer and musician. He's also produced one of the best heavy metal groups I've heard.

I've said this last year on your forum - you ignored me then and you'll probably ignore me again - but you really should consider getting together with Jamie. He's not only a firm fan of your music, but he has the ability, the studio and the talent to produce anything you could come up with. And I know he'd grab a chance to work with you.

Deus Ex Machina and all that.

Simon
Last edited by Lost In The Crash on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lost In The Crash

Post by Lost In The Crash »

Bob, I have just listened to the 2 minute song samples of Jamie Hoover's CD on http://www.cdbaby.com. There is a wonderful review of the CD there. The songs are so well done that they sound fresh and new. You have every right to be proud of his renditions. The songs themselves are timeless works of poetry and art, as were all of the songs from your early albums. I hope more success and a wider audience come to you as a result. To quote from the review, "Four more Linds, please, and sooner than later."
Last edited by Lost In The Crash on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dont_be_concerned

Post by dont_be_concerned »

That last post was from me. Thought I had logged in...
Last edited by dont_be_concerned on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dont_be_concerned

Jamie Hoover

Post by dont_be_concerned »

Elusive Butterfly is also on Jamie Hoover's 2004 CD "Jamie Hoo-Ever". This has a wide variety of material, mostly covers of songs from the traditional "Barbara Allen" to the Traveling Wilburys' "Handle With Care". Pretty adventurous entertainer.
Last edited by dont_be_concerned on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel H

Post by Daniel H »

I got Jamie's "Lind Me Four" about a week ago, and am delighted with it. Everyone who loves Bob's music needs to purchase this CD. Jamie's versions of Bob's songs are lovely, lively, and his affection for the material can be heard in every note and word. His rendition of "Counting" is beautiful; I was never really captured by the song until now. I always did like "Drifter's Sunrise", and Jamie provides a rich and mellow variation of it here which just sweeps you away. And hearing "Elusive Butterfly" in Jamie's unique voice and style reminded me of how the song made me feel the first time I heard it. Like being whisked away on a cloud of birdsong. The piercing vividness of that feeling!

If you are a fan of Bob's, you have to grab a copy of "Lind Me Four". Music doesn't get sweeter than this.
You'll catch a fleeting glimpse of someone's fading shadow...