"San Francisco Man"

Share favorite lyrics, swap guitar tabs and talk about the songs.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

bob_32_116

"San Francisco Man"

Post by bob_32_116 »

CD Universe is listed as one of the online retailers selling Bob's new album. Out of curiosity I visited the site to see what other titles they had.

Here's the info they give on the Since There Were Circles album:

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.a ... tyle=music

It seems that Bob's San Francisco Woman is even more free-and-easy and independent than we gave her credit for. She's now had a sex change.

Also I note that one track on the album is "We Are Children" (sic). No "Still". Somewhat disturbingly, that track and several others are listed as "with Bob Lind". Well they would be wouldn't they, since it's a Bob Lind album - I'd be worried if Bob Lind WASN'T featured on the tracks. What are they on about?

There is more misinformation. According to them, the track "Somebody's Angel" is the first time Bob has put a cover song on an album. This may be true if you confine yourself to discussing original studio albums, but it's somewhat misleading. The infamous Verve album, which contains a number of covers, should probably be labelled a bootleg, but "The Ultimate Bob Lind Collection", which is also advertised on their site, is a legitimate release and it contains "Hey Nellie, Nellie" and "The Times They Are a-Changing".

I'd be inclined to dismiss CD Universe out of hand, except that I am fairly certain that's where I acquired my copy of the Footsteps album, so I have to give them some credit for that. (I'm not sure,it might have been CD-Now.) Honestly though, they need to get their information right if they want to inspire consumer confidence.
Jill

Re: "San Francisco Man"

Post by Jill »

Hey Bob Numbers, Thanks so much for the heads up. I'll check it out. BTW -- just FYI -- The Ultimate Bob Lind Collection is NOT a legitimate release. We have been fighting these slimebags for years trying to get it taken down. The bootleggers themselves have been shut down, but there are used copies popping up everywhere and we have a tough time swatting those annoying flies.

And, to speak for Bob in words he would use: Verve Folkways can stuff their album. "Somebody's Angel" on the soon-to-be-released FINDING YOU AGAIN is the first time ever that Bob has authorized the release of a song he did not write. And that's what he's claiming -- accurately.

We appreciate your catching this. Good that Bob has eagle-eye fans like you looking out for him. -- Bob's manager, Jill
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

Jill wrote:Hey Bob Numbers, Thanks so much for the heads up. I'll check it out. BTW -- just FYI -- The Ultimate Bob Lind Collection is NOT a legitimate release. We have been fighting these slimebags for years trying to get it taken down. The bootleggers themselves have been shut down, but there are used copies popping up everywhere and we have a tough time swatting those annoying flies.

And, to speak for Bob in words he would use: Verve Folkways can stuff their album. "Somebody's Angel" on the soon-to-be-released FINDING YOU AGAIN is the first time ever that Bob has authorized the release of a song he did not write. And that's what he's claiming -- accurately.

We appreciate your catching this. Good that Bob has eagle-eye fans like you looking out for him. -- Bob's manager, Jill
OK, Jill, I stand corrected about the Ultimate Collection album. I wonder why anyone would buy it though in preference to "The Complete Jack Nitzche Sessions", since the latter seems to be easily obtainable and is all Lind originals? I can't imagine anyone desperately needing another version of The Times They Are a-Changing.

My other comments about CD Universe still stand though; they appear to be extremely sloppy in gathering and presenting their information.
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

Right Bob. Everything on it is available elsewhere -- ethically AND unethically. But it boils my blood. It's not only that I don't see a dime from it. That wouldn't be a new, unendurable thing. Every artist in the bidnus gets ripped off if he stays in the game awhile. The galling thing is seeing fans taken advantage of. A lot of people want to collect everything I release. Sometimes it's a matter of loyalty and support. and these bastards know it.
But let's get off this subject.
Now, for the first time in a long, long while, I'm about to release something I'm proud of: A CD that is to me, the most accurate and true representation ever of what I do.
THIS one, I endorse right down to the core of me.
Thanks for your info on the CD Universe blurb. Jill is on the case.
rob68

Post by rob68 »

I should've posted this in the New Lind Album thread, but anyway.....

To those in the USA, don't be leery of ordering from Amazon UK. I will probably order Bob's new CD from them, myself. The release date is a week earlier, plus the VAT (or whatever it's called) gets dropped from the price amount when they realize it's being shipped to the U.S., and even with just paying for standard shipping, I've received packages from them in as little as 4 days.....across the ocean and everything! :D Always have had great service from Amazon UK.
....I went to the river and I stood on the shore. I stood in the twilight of the life I had before....
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

interesting, Rob Numbers...

I wonder if the same deal applies to us Downunderies?

Must check it out, ta a lot mate...
"Some may call it wander-lust, some may call it crazy.
I don't call it anything - I Just Let It Take Me."
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

I'll have to check out oll the price deals for this particular release, but in the past I have generally found the cheapest way to acquire a CD is via the US - even for music originally made in the UK by a UK artist. That probably has something to do with the volume of pressings done for the American market and with economies of scale.

Does this list of retailers mean that the album won't be available directly from boblindmusic.com?
Susanne Gilmore

Post by Susanne Gilmore »

Then there are Luddites like me who just went INTO a Best Buy store and pre-ordered the cd. No muss, no fuss, no credit card number floating randomly about the internet.

Re: "San Francisco Man" - Hmmm, that might actually make an interesting cover .... "don't feel sorry for the guy, he's a San Francisco man, and he knows how to get by."
Jill

Post by Jill »

Hi Bob Numbers,
No, we won't be selling FINDING YOU AGAIN on Bob's website. Stocking and shipping takes a lot of manpower so we will be leaving that up to the professional sites who specialize in CD sales. You can find a nice list on the merch page.
Take care,
Jill