The new Lind album

Share favorite lyrics, swap guitar tabs and talk about the songs.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

bob_32_116

The new Lind album

Post by bob_32_116 »

Time to give this its own thread, I think, rather than have the topic buried under English Afternoon.
Lind wrote: And on a related subject, watch for my brand-new Studio CD due out in September. It's called FINDING YOU AGAIN and it was produced by Jamie Hoover of the Spongetones. He's the guy who's playing lead guitar on my Dovumentary/Concert DVD
To start the ball rolling, I'd like to ask BL: is the track listing finalised, or still in the works?

I think this album was mentioned as a rumour some time ago. At that time I believe the title "Home In Time For Twilight" was bandied about, but I wonder if that was dropped because Neil Diamond released an album with almost the exact same name?

And regarding album content, I am hoping that either on this album or a future release, we can get some of the older numbers that are hard to find and are too good to allow to fade into obscurity. I'm not talking about reworkings or "reimaginings" of songs that are readily available on existing releases; I'm thinking about songs like We May Have Touched, Goodbye Neon Lies, or proper good quality recordings of some of the songs that were murdered in the mix of that horribly engineered Verve album.

Still, whatever we get, I'm sure it'll be good.
John Duncan

Re: The new Lind album

Post by John Duncan »

I suspect that this new album will be full of 'the new stuff.'
But if an older song was to be included I'd vote for 'How the nights can fly.'
Mainly because this is such a great song that it deserves to be heard by a new audience.
I'd also like to see 'Someone to Adore' included as well as 'Roll the windows down,' and 'Let it go.'
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

John Duncan wrote:I suspect that this new album will be full of 'the new stuff.'
But if an older song was to be included I'd vote for 'How the nights can fly.'
Mainly because this is such a great song that it deserves to be heard by a new audience.
I'd also like to see 'Someone to Adore' included as well as 'Roll the windows down,' and 'Let it go.'
Knowing how fond Bob is of using How the Nights Can Fly as a closer, it would not surprise me at all to find this as the last song on the new album.

Roll the Windows Down would make an excellent opener. I also regard China and Home In Time For Twilight as essential releases, if not on the upcoming album then at some stage in the future.
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

Thanks for the interest guys.
Yes. The whole CD is done -- 13 songs including a first for me: A song I DIDN'T write. I don't want to say too much about it yet except to say the producer is Jamie Hoover, founding member of The Spongetones and lead guitar player on my BOB LIND: Perspective. dvd.
And Bob Numbers, not a single song on that old demo album HOME IN TIME FOR TWILIGHT made the cut. That album never saw the light of day but it had nothing to do with Neil Diamond. I wasn't aware he had a CD by that name.
And I'm sure you won't be surprised do find that none of the old songs are included either except for "HtNCF" and one other one ("May" which is about 30 years old). All the other stuff was written in this century, most of them over the past four years.
It's coming out on ACE Records -- the same label that released my Best of CD BOB LIND: ELUSIVE BUTTERFLY (The Complete Jack Nitzsche Sessions).
More about this later, I promise.
rob68

Post by rob68 »

Ace Records! Great label. Really looking forward to this.

So here's what we know so far....

May
Finding You Again
How The Nights Can Fly
Cover Song
Thunder Of Goodbye

Plus some of my own guesses...

How Dare You Love Me?
Sophia's Lullaby?
Let It Go?
How To Get Depressed?
Gravity Of The World?
Maybe It's The Rain?
....I went to the river and I stood on the shore. I stood in the twilight of the life I had before....
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

Home Before Dark was the name of Neil Diamond's album.
John Duncan

Post by John Duncan »

If none of the 'Home in time for twilight' demo album have made the cut, that means 'Roll the windows down' is not on the new album.
This is a disaster, as this is one of my favorite 'new stuff' tracks.
Any ideas what the 'cover track' might be? Old or new? Bob does an old one in his set most times, perhaps it's that one.
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

Yes, John Duncan - I 'm thinking of that same cover song, also...

I played the demos through yesterday on the road, and the more I played the more choices I found...

Clever album title - smacks of 'comeback' or 'new direction', methinks...
"Some may call it wander-lust, some may call it crazy.
I don't call it anything - I Just Let It Take Me."
jeffbenton

Post by jeffbenton »

Bottle of Wine...Bottle of Wine...Bottle of Wine. Gotta have it! To listen to, at least...
West Florida Summer's Child

"...maybe Bethlehem is you and me..."
Danny Harris

Post by Danny Harris »

or...maybe updates?

e.g. "Cheryl's Stiil Not Back", "We DID Touch!", "Everybody Smokes Marijuana In Suburbia"', "Love Dismounted"?
"Some may call it wander-lust, some may call it crazy.
I don't call it anything - I Just Let It Take Me."
Susanne Gilmore

Post by Susanne Gilmore »

...Or my personal favorite "She Can Still Get Along", but seriously, my guess is that this new cd may have some leanings towards jazz. The suspense is killing me!
John Duncan

Post by John Duncan »

So, Bottle of Wine is NOT on the new album. The plot thickens folks!
bob_32_116

Post by bob_32_116 »

Danny Harris wrote:or...maybe updates?

e.g. "Cheryl's Stiil Not Back", "We DID Touch!", "Everybody Smokes Marijuana In Suburbia"', "Love Dismounted"?
In the 1950's and early 1960's "answer" songs were everywhere. For example in response to Jim Reeves' "He'll Have to Go" there was a female artist (can't recall who) singing "He'll Have to Stay". That sort of thing.

Some more ideas for Bob Lind sequel songs:

Bolt the Door Again
I Guess It Was the Morning After All
Discovering Road Rage
The World is Just an Inferior 3-D Remake of What Was a Lame B-Grade Original in the First Place
I Can't Remember It Raining As Heavy as This

and that old favourite:

Butterfiles Look Better Flying than Mounted in Wax.
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

You turkeys are so-oo cute.
Okay, in light of the obvious heartfelt interest here -- and the fact that the track listing has already been leaked elsewhere (sometimes accurately, sometimes totally fantastically), here for the first time anywhere, directly from me, are the songs in order on FINDING Y0U AGAIN, due out from ACE Records on September 24th:

1. How Dare You Love Me -- Lind
2. Maybe It's the Rain -- Lind
3. Exeter (The Wedding Waltz) -- Lind
4. Finding You Again -- Lind
5. Somebody's Angel -- Peter Allen/David Lasley
6. The Thunder of Goodbye -- Lind
7. The Gravity of the World -- Lind
8. Somewhere in This City -- Lind
9. How the Nights Can Fly -- Lind
10. May -- Lind
11. Someone to Adore -- Lind
12. Let It Go -- Lind
13. Perspective -- Lind

Even if you think you've heard these things before, my sense is that you'll be pleasantly surprised at the fine work Jamie has done on them. I don't have to tell any of you that my demos suck and if you've only heard some of these songs recorded by me on my little home recorder, be assured that you haven't really heard them yet.
As to the Peter Allen song, I'm already taking flack from some fans who haven't heard it yet, saying, in essence, "With all your new unrecorded Lind songs, why are you doing a cover?"
I can only tell you it's because I've loved this song since the seventies and singing it feels so hearteningly real to me. It's very different from the songs I write, but I love the powerful emotion in it. Why else would I dare to step onto turf so adequately staked out by Peter Allen AND Dionne Warwick?
So there you have it.
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Post by Lind »

Oh and for the people who are disappointed that "BofW" didn't make it onto the album, here's me doing it at McCabe's during the last tour.
The sound is not great, but I think the feeling comes through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX73RgVe9rE