Looking for lyrics, tabs for "Some may call it wanderlust.."

Share favorite lyrics, swap guitar tabs and talk about the songs.

Moderators: Lind, Jill

Rick

Looking for lyrics, tabs for "Some may call it wanderlust.."

Post by Rick »

Hi Bob

Two things...

...first, a very belated thanks for giving us a great gig here in San Francisco back in January! As always, loved the early songs, and your new material is so beyond cool!

Thanks for including San Francisco Woman in your set list. Pretty much describes most of the girls I knew here back in the 60s...

And thanks too for taking a moment after the show to talk with me...really appreciate your graciousness.

Second - a question: Where can I find the tabs and lyrics to your song with the lyrics "Some may call it wanderlust, some may call it crazy. I don't call it anything, I just let it take me"?

I have a lady friend with an excellent soprano voice and guitar skills who is heading off to Europe this fall, guided by her eternal wanderlust. I told her about this song and that I would try to get the chords and words to her.

Thanks very much for any help with this, Bob...and the next time your gigs are here in the Bay area or down in LA, I'll catch up with you again.

Rick
San Francisco
Lind
Declaring Lindependence

Re: Looking for lyrics, tabs for "Some may call it wanderlus

Post by Lind »

Hey Rick. Thanks for the kind words. I loved that gig.

As to the song, it's called "I Just Let It Take Me." Sorry to say I'm not sure if the sheet music is available anywhere. And even if it were, I don't want to see you pay those impossible E-bay prices.
My suggestion is this: Since it's a fairly simple song structure, played in 1st-position G as I recall, maybe the way to go is to find a guitar player who knows a little theory and give him a couple bucks to take it off the record.

You might also post this request on my FaceBook Page. Message boards are rapidly going the way of the telegraph and that antiquated concept remembered fondly as "customer service."

Fans are using FB almost exclusively now. If we're not "friends," send me a request and I will approve it. Then you can post the question to my wall.

All the best of luck.
bob_32_116

Re: Looking for lyrics, tabs for "Some may call it wanderlus

Post by bob_32_116 »

Lind wrote: My suggestion is this: Since it's a fairly simple song structure, played in 1st-position G as I recall, maybe the way to go is to find a guitar player who knows a little theory and give him a couple bucks to take it off the record.
The chords may be simple, but the rhythm structure is anything but. I was listening to this song just now, and noticed for the first time how unorthodox the time signature is.

Most songs, including most of Bob Lind's songs, are in 4/4 time (by far the most common) or 3/4 time, or some variant like 6/8.
The first two lines of the verse of I Just Let It Take Me are in 11/2 time. Eleven beats to the bar. Count them!
After that, the song slips into a slightly less unusual, but still uncommon, pattern of ten beats per bar (10/2), which is maintained, except for the first two lines of each verse which are 11/2.

I listen to a lot of progressive rock, and I am used to hearing unusual time signatures, such as "Apocalypse in 9/8" by Genesis, and some even stranger ones from "new progressive" acts like Porcupine Tree and Anathema. I never thought I would find this phenomenon in a Bob Lind song. I am also impressed by how natural it sounds, so that I never actually noticed this until just now, despite having heard this song umptillion times. It certainly does not sound as though Bob decided to throw in an unusual time structure just for the sake of it.

-------------------------

Edit: On listening to the Footsteps album, I am noticing that some of the other songs also show oddities in the rhythm structure. Unlock the Door and A Nameless Request, to name two. It's a moot point whether to call them songs in unusual time, or just common 4/4 time with an extra bar thrown in here and there to fit the lyrics.